Official Death Before Dishonor (Las Vegas 9/22) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: Official Death Before Dishonor (Las Vegas 9/22) Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I am telling everyone right now, the crazy Suzuki you see in NJPW will be totally castrated and not be the same guy at this show. There is no fucking way Cody can drag an epic match out of him like Okada did either. This match is a safe bet for Gedo. Suzuki holds the least important singles title in NJPW. Cody will beat him and it won't mean shit. This match will not be MOTN.

I am completely fucking aghast at the support this match is getting. It would be a career making match for guys lower on the card that deserve it. Punishment Martinez. Silas Young. But Cody? If Gedo really wanted to do the favor for Delirious by having one of his top guys get Cody over for the Okada match in California, he should have had Tanahashi do the job.

This match shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Joe/Kobashi or Danielson/Kenta. This is all smoke and mirrors. If I am wrong about this I will admit it.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

It IS a double-shot.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:31 am
SteenMark23 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:27 am
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:49 am He's 50 fucking years old! Suzuki can't hang in the ring with guys like Kenny Omega
Good god what an awful take.

(unless you're trolling, of course)
I am not trolling. In the G1 Tournament when Omega tried a reverse Frankensteiner, Suzuki couldn't even get his feet off the mat and Omega had to sell it like his knee gave out. Have some substance behind your retort next time instead of the fucking weak trolling comeback.
So, Suzuki not being able to execute an awful dance routine spot means he's no longer a great worker? Got it.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:37 pm There is no fucking way Cody can drag an epic match out of him like Okada did either.
Also, imagine watching Suzuki/Okada and thinking Okada was the better worker in the match. You sure you're not fucking with us? Lol.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Any Suzuki singles match that isn't derailed by shenangians is gonna be really enjoyable at the least, Suzuki is that good. A Minoru Suzuki ROH World Title run would give ROH the shot in the arm it desperately needs.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

SteenMark23 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:16 pm
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:31 am
SteenMark23 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:27 am

Good god what an awful take.

(unless you're trolling, of course)
I am not trolling. In the G1 Tournament when Omega tried a reverse Frankensteiner, Suzuki couldn't even get his feet off the mat and Omega had to sell it like his knee gave out. Have some substance behind your retort next time instead of the fucking weak trolling comeback.
So, Suzuki not being able to execute an awful dance routine spot means he's no longer a great worker? Got it.
That's my point. The match with Omega was dissapointing bc Omega wasn't able to adapt. He wrestle the same fucking match and use the Reverse Franksteiner bc, you know, it's cool. Calling Suzuki a fat old man bc he wasn't able to do a flip... And then, no one said a thing when Suzuki destroyed Omega's leg and Kenny used his V-Triggers at the end, with his bad knee.

You can like more or less Suzuki, but he's a legend. Misawa (when he was booked in ROH) or Liger are legends that couldn't move well. Suzuki is a man that had a GREAT title run in NOAH and he has had awesome matches this year too. But, hey, let's face it, nowadays it's seems like if you aren't able to do Reverse Franksteiner and a lot of movez in your matches, you are a mediocre wrestler.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

So because Suzuki botches ONE spot, a spot he probably has done less than 10 times his entire career, he's some immobile old man? What the hell? Have you even SEEN any Suzuki matches this year? He isn't some spring chicken but the fucking guy went 30 minutes with Okada two fucking weeks ago, and he went 45 with Okada back in February. The dude's still smooth as hell when going for counters and submissions. You and I must be watching two different Minoru Suzukis.

And screw it. I hope Suzuki wins the belt. A Suzuki title run will have the same amount of interference and bullshit as a Cody run, but at least Suzuki is a badass that is gonna beat the fuck out of people while it happens.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I love Suzuki. Can he go like he did a few years ago, of course not. But watching him beat the shit out of Cody is going to be fun. I'd have no problem with him winning. I doubt it since it seems like Castle will eventually dethrone Cody.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Suzuki coming over is a very big deal and very unlike ROH to fix this deal. This is only the second PPV main event World Title defense featuring a New Japan talent (or perhaps the first, depending on how Lethal vs. Styles was looked at).

Cody vs. Suzuki is also a safe match, if we assume Minoru to do the bulk of the work in the contest. Given the weird spectacle of the match, this main event could be the best PPV World Title defense in years. If I were ROH, I would allude to Suzuki having a real history in taking over companies before, and start building now. The urgency of a Suzuki title defense can only be used once. More, the suddenness of this match also gives Castle more time to develop as a title contender, which he is in dire need for after taking huge losses to Bullet Club at the WOTW tour.

Despite my adoration for the worker, I really hope ROH doesn’t actually pull the trigger on a second full-scale Suzuki-gun pilgrimage. The optics would be so, so bad. It would be New Japan saying you’re worth to us what NOAH was, which JEEZ if that’s the case.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 am I love Suzuki. Can he go like he did a few years ago, of course not
Is he really any different then he was, say, in 2012? The only difference is that a lot of his matches have been derailed by shenanigans. He's so great at the little things and wrestles a style that will allow him to be great for as long as he wants, like Fujiwara. Of course nobody is expecting PWFG Suzuki to show up but it's not like he hasn't had a decade plus of awesomeness post his athletic peak.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Wilson wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:43 am It would be New Japan saying you’re worth to us what NOAH was, which JEEZ if that’s the case.
At least NOAH was able to bring over Takayama for a title match, so they aren't totally worthless.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I highly, highly doubt ROH is going to have a Suzuki-gun takeover.

It'd be great to use that as the basis for this title match though. Saying Suzuki and his crew will invade Ring of Honor if he wins the title.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Anybody else think this match will bear some similarity to the Okada/Suzuki matches? Only reason I say this is because the Okada matches were so popular and it's sort of seen as the Suzuki style match right now. If I were Cody, I'd just put myself into that Okada spot. Even if he's not way over as a face in Vegas.. if Suzuki is dishing out those shots to Cody's face and neck, that crowd is going to feel bad for him. I hope ROH production crew shoots the PPV more like New Japan would - with the camera angled up so you can see all the sweat flying from those chops. Little things like that can really make a big difference.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I could definitely see a screwey interference laden finish that sets up Suzukigun vs. Bullet Club at Global Wars. Maybe Cody, Hangman, Marty, G.O.D. vs. Suzuki, KES, Taka, Desperado in Steel Cage Warfare...one can hope.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Jesus you would think I was insulting the fucking Pope or Mother Theresa. I don't think it's gonna work between Cody and Suzuki. My opinion. If I'm wrong I will admit it. You guys are so fucking sensitive. It's wrestling. If half of you had the passion to defend Suzuki as you did to the rest of the problems going on in society, the world wouldn't be as fucked up.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:45 pm Jesus you would think I was insulting the fucking Pope or Mother Theresa. I don't think it's gonna work between Cody and Suzuki. My opinion. If I'm wrong I will admit it. You guys are so fucking sensitive. It's wrestling. If half of you had the passion to defend Suzuki as you did to the rest of the problems going on in society, the world wouldn't be as fucked up.
You're really going off the rails here. If wrestling is something you like, then yeah it's only wrestling, but it's something that we all enjoy! So you're belittling one of your own interests.... cool.

And then your opinion was literally wrong, dude. There's a right and a wrong and you were wrong. It's ok. You said he couldn't hang with Omega. Like dude, check the internet, that match got universal acclaim.

And you said...
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:There is no fucking way Cody can drag an epic match out of him like Okada did either.
Which makes me think you didn't even WATCH either Suzuki/Okada match! Suzuki put in work, man, he was exhausted by the time those matches were over. Okada had a great performance selling and a great comeback, but Suzuki dishes out punishment like no other.

And then you're just bringing SOCIETY'S PROBLEMS into this thread for an ROH ppv?

All we wanted to do was be excited about the match.
Last edited by Wilson on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed harsh language
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

It being his first US based appearance in 25 years and it being in an ROH ring means more alone than whatever standard of quality the match comes in at. It's more to do with the attraction than anything else. It's the spectacle that people will see Minoru Suzuki walk an asile for Ring of Honor and feature as a main event on a Ring of Honor pay-per-view. I could care less if the match is dog shit, those images alone will be enough to warrant my money.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Now now now, let's not just be content with him putting in a Muta level performance; the fans traveling all along the West Coast, Southwest, and Rocky Mountain regions deserve better than that. Of course, whatever he does will certainly be superior to Dragon Soldier B and Blue Demon, Jr.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I hope Ultimo Guerrero wins every belt in ROH just to spite you fun-hating curmudgeons.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:14 am
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:45 pm Jesus you would think I was insulting the fucking Pope or Mother Theresa. I don't think it's gonna work between Cody and Suzuki. My opinion. If I'm wrong I will admit it. You guys are so fucking sensitive. It's wrestling. If half of you had the passion to defend Suzuki as you did to the rest of the problems going on in society, the world wouldn't be as fucked up.
You're really going off the rails here. If wrestling is something you like, then yeah it's only wrestling, but it's something that we all enjoy! So you're belittling one of your own interests.... cool.

And then your opinion was literally wrong, dude. There's a right and a wrong and you were wrong. It's ok. You said he couldn't hang with Omega. Like dude, check the internet, that match got universal acclaim.

And you said...
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:There is no fucking way Cody can drag an epic match out of him like Okada did either.
Which makes me think you didn't even WATCH either Suzuki/Okada match! Suzuki put in work, man, he was exhausted by the time those matches were over. Okada had a great performance selling and a great comeback, but Suzuki dishes out punishment like no other.

And then you're just bringing SOCIETY'S PROBLEMS into this thread for an ROH ppv?

All we wanted to do was be excited about the match.
This escalated way too quick in far too aggressive terms. I’m going to request that this conversation just stop; everyone would be the better for it.