SITS: Steen vs Generico Last Man Standing!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
187_Joeism

SITS: Steen vs Generico Last Man Standing!

Post by 187_Joeism »

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/last-man-standing

Friday night March 30th, as part of “Showdown in the Sun – Day 1”, two men whose bitter war defined Ring of Honor throughout 2010 will meet one-on-one for the first time in 15 months. Their last fight took place at “Final Battle 2010” in an Unsanctioned Fight Without Honor and it cost one man a year of his ROH career. The exiled man was Kevin Steen and the man who put him out was El Generico. It was a defining moment in both men’s careers; the culmination of years of feuding, eventual friendship, and then the slow deterioration of what many thought was a bond that would endure the test of time.

Following that December night in 2010, Generico moved on with his life while it is evident that Steen obsessed on his banishment, the circumstances surrounding it, and found it necessary to lay blame at the feet of everyone but himself. So when Kevin returned, unwanted, to ROH at “Best in the World 2011” it was a shock…but even more shocking was his declaration of “**** Ring of Honor” as he assaulted Steve Corino & Jimmy Jacobs. At “Death Before Dishonor IX” he returned to assault Jacobs again, in lieu of Steve’s absence, and given that Jimmy’s opponent that night was El Generico, it drew the men into conflict once again.

At “Glory by Honor X”, following Generico’s unsuccessful bid to capture the ROH World Title from Davey Richards, Kevin once again inserted himself into the situation and was fought off by the champion, his challenger, and Steve Corino. Then, at “Final Battle 2011”, after Steen earned his way back into ROH by beating Corino, the two former tag team partners came into conflict as Generico stopped Kevin from assaulting Jim Cornette. Unfortunately for Generico the chaotic scene ended with him being carted off to an ambulance following a Package Piledriver off the ring through a table.

Months of silence followed from Generico while Steen began his mission to tear down ROH and claim the World Title. That silence was broken only a few weeks ago with two words, “La Revancha”, and the proclamation that Generico had answered the call to fight Steen in Ft. Lauderdale on March 30th.

Given the history of these two men and the level of brutality we have seen whenever they have stood opposite one another inside the ring, ROH officials have determined that a stipulation is absolutely necessary to ensure the match comes to a decisive conclusion.

The chosen stip: Last Man Standing!

No pinfalls, no submissions, just two men fighting it out with whatever they have at their disposal, until one man cannot answer the 10 count. The only caveat to this war is that the ban on the piledriver remains in effect…

“Seriously?” Steen told ROHWrestling.com when informed of the match, “I can use ladders, chairs, tables, hell it sounds like I could set Generico on fire if I wanted to, but I still can’t use the Package Piledriver? That’s funny. So tell me, what are you afraid of Jimmy? That I’ll break Generico’s neck? That I’ll take advantage of the opportunity and just start piledriving everyone I can get my hands on? Do you think I really give a damn at this point that you’ve taken one move away from me? You took away a year of my life, you’ve taken away the Ring of Honor I loved, and you think taking away one move matters? Ask Generico and in his stupid broken English he can tell you himself that I’ve got plenty of other ways to put an end to this. I just want you to watch closely, I want you to gather up Davey and Eddie and Roddy and anyone else who might get their hands on that title before I do and make them watch what happens to Generico. It’s a sign of the future Jimmy, but it’s not a nightmare that’s coming, it’s my dream come true.”

There have only been two Last Man Standing matches in ROH’s 10 year history and one of those involved Steen when he beat Colt Cabana at “Supercard of Honor V”. With Generico returning for the first time in nearly four months, with all the history between these two men, this battle has all the potential to be as bloody & brutal as “Final Battle 2010”. Generico vs. Steen, Last Man Standing, March 30th at “Showdown in the Sun”, tickets are available here!!! Can’t be there live, order it on iPPV right here.
JigsawVs.Jason

Re: SITS: Steen vs Generico Last Man Standing!

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Oh fuck yeah, these two are gonna kill each other....the match of the weekend I am most looking forward to, great job ROH!
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

It´s crazy that´s only the second Last Man Standing in ROH history, great choice for a match after what happen in Final Battle
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

the third ;)
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Yeah i confuse reading haha
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

This should be all kinds of awesome, I can't wait!
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Still hoping this match becomes a total dog & pony show.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

This is the thing I am most looking forward to all weekend from ROH, with Davey-Elgin being just behind it.

I just re-watched their match from Final Battle '10 and if they top that or they top their PWG match from last year, it will be unreal!
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Doesn't ROH usually call this a 'Lights Out' match?

Sounds like a very fun match, can't wait to watch it!
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

I'm glad to see the stipulation wasn't the ill predicted Loser Leaves ROH. I also didn't know how sparingly the Last Man Standing stipulation had been used. This match should be really good. It will get Steen a win over Generico and probably put him out of action even longer until a new contract is negotiated.
TelkEvolon

Post by TelkEvolon »

Awesome, just what everyone wants to see.
"Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors."

- Jim Morrison
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Good choice. That's gonna be great match.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

TYFDK wrote:Doesn't ROH usually call this a 'Lights Out' match?

Sounds like a very fun match, can't wait to watch it!
I think the phrase Last Man Standing has become a little more well known. More prospective fans will know what a Last Man Standing is as opposed to a Lights Out if you see that on a Marquee. But youre right, I cant wait to see this
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

Hopefully the match is allocated 18 minutes, rather than being an 18-minute match that was allocated 30 like the last time they met...
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

D2Kvirus wrote:Hopefully the match is allocated 18 minutes, rather than being an 18-minute match that was allocated 30 like the last time they met...
Ba-Zing!
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

I figured the topic would get further than two pages before disagreements about match times were discussed.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I really hope this will be tonight's main event, it could be huge if booked correctly!
drmmawresperc

Post by drmmawresperc »

Now Generico has jumped shipped to Dragon Gate USA
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

drmmawresperc wrote:Now Generico has jumped shipped to Dragon Gate USA

Have heard this a couple times, what happened at the show last night?