War Of The Worlds UK SuperThread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
McXal
Donator
Donator

Re: War Of The Worlds UK SuperThread

Post by McXal »

I'd agree with pretty much all of what Alex said.

Ryan Smile looked as motivated as I've seen him. I enjoyed his match with Mark Briscoe far more than I expected to.

I've never been overly fond of Bully Ray in ROH - but after seeing him live I do concede he is a fun experience. And Jay Lethal was super over - like way more than I'd anticipated. I think it took him a bit by surprise that his theme music was drowned out by chanting.

The only two matches that were worth going out of your way to see on VOD/DVD were the two mains. BC/LIJ was a whacky live experience - but as Alex said, probably not one that holds up as well watching on a tv. Daryl provided colour commentary...then got royally sh*tted up! Meltzer Driver on a stuffed animal was Kenny Omega levels of odd!

Kushida/Titan totally stole the show. Great match, and a really courageous performance from Titan - who almost killed himself moonsaulting face/chest-into the guardrails. Kushida is such a machine. Watching him destroy an arm live and in person is awesome

Top to bottom a constantly fun show. Certainly better than Leicester last year, and probably just nudging ahead of Liverpool (I didn't attend and haven't seen London last year yet).

Time to get some sleep - got a 5 hour drive up to Liverpool for tomorrow night to rest up for!
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

(Complete forgot these shows were happening.)

Thanks for your awesome feedback, AlexROH, The Dragon Saga, and McXal. If you folks are doing the ROH grand tour, then I hope it's a great experience.

Looking at the names for the cards and their matches, I figured they would make for pretty good shows. Simple card hierarchy, championship defenses, and main event draws make for great house shows. KUSHIDA/Titan is a match I was really looking forward to on this tour.

On Bully Ray, I had an immediately discordant response understanding that he would take a spot that could have otherwise gone to Jay White, Punishment Martinez, or Jonathan Gresham, but I also understand that is probably a legitimate draw in the UK. He just better put somebody over on this tour.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The Pick 'Ems for today's iPPV and tomorrow's show in Scotland are still open!! The former closes in a few hours, the latter (obviously) doesn't close until tomorrow.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5585

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5587
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

How was assitance today? Sold out or more like the half entry from last year?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

It wasn't a full building, but they never advertised the upper balcony so that was an issue. It seems a lot of people watching saying, "wow, not many people there" are totally oblivious to the fact Liverpool Olympia is a theatre where most of the shows are musicals or operas, so that there were about 800 people behind the hard cam. I'd say just over 1,000 in attendance, with the odd seat empty. Not as hot as the London show at all, in fact it makes me think they should have done the iPPV in London, it looked better, sounded better and the crowd was better.

In-terms of action, the CMLL guys did a great job, Ray and Naito have a lot of chemistry, Bucks and Addiction SHOULD have been the main event, but the main event wasn't as good as it should have been. I don't know if that was Cody or SANADA's fault, but not good enough.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

My overriding Night 2 thought was that Liverpool was not even close to how good the London show was. Not sure how it came off on ippv - but yeah, all around not as fun.

In truth it had a lot of the usual problems ROH ppv's have so it shouldn't have been that surprising - with lots of matches that sound good on paper totally f*cked for time, ending with a completely screwy main event.

Most things were entertaining enough. Titan was awesome for a second night running and the CMLL match in general was really enjoyable. I thought Silas and Haskins had great chemistry, but after intermission ran slightly long for ring repairs expecting them to get anymore time was perhaps fanciful.

I was really disappointed at how short the Tag and TV Title matches were. They could have been superb, and were entertaining enough in their current form - but just over ten minutes for each left them feeling hugely superficial. Judging by the reactions for both, I would much rather have seen a straight Kushida/Marty TV Title Match. As it's the UK I actually think they could have main evented with that too...

I thought the atmosphere for the actual main event was surprisingly heated, but having read Csonka's review on 411mania that didn't appear to carry onto the live stream. Completely different reaction for Cody Rhodes in Liverpool to London, with some very vocal haters in attendance. The match itself was only ok. I was sat right behind Riccaboni and Whitmer, and their reactions to all of Ian's bumps were as entertaining as the wrestling in truth. I wasn't expecting much from it at all - so a lively back and forth, albeit rather poorly constructed and lazily booked - wasn't the end of the world for me

Sad I can't make Edinburgh. Lethal/Silas got plenty of build last night, and both guys have done very little on the tour so far - so should have plenty in the tank!
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Although London didn't have the match quality compared to last year, it was very, very fun, I never really have that much of a problem with having a laugh at a wrestling event and for this show it worked and for a drunk brittish crowd it went down well.

It terms of matches nothing really disappointed, maybe King/Jay but Jay's matches can often be like this where the structure is just a bit wierd. Titan and Kushida in any environment and promotion would be a great match, they both gave they're are all and honestly I thought it was probably Kushida's best match in ROH. Sitting just across from Titan hitting the barricade was a scary moment, the height he came down from and then you see he is over hitting it, I initially thought he was going to hit legs first but either way the impact was insane and how he got up and carried on to deliver a great match was amazing, he really seems to be a very underated talent and more needs to be made of him and for him.

A couple of special mentions to Mistico and Smile, The former looked so much better than I ever saw in WWE and he looks like for more comfortable with his smaller frame and weight. Smile I liked I haven't seen much of him but I think for a debut it was good and I would like to see more of him in ROH.

Also Ultimo Guerrero is a very heavy man if him going into barricades is any indication, as he nearly sent a woman flying back into our second row.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:25 am

A couple of special mentions to Mistico and Smile, The former looked so much better than I ever saw in WWE and he looks like for more comfortable with his smaller frame and weight.
Wrong guy. Mistico 1 (that went to WWE) now wrestled as Caristico. This current Mistico is in his early 20s. He got repackaged into the gimmick once the original Mistico became Sin Cara.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

I am looking for Edinburgh results
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

cgstong wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:40 pm I am looking for Edinburgh results
Here you go:

Triple threat match
Kenny King def. Colt Cabana and Josh Bodom

Rey Bucanero and Ultimo Guerrero def. The Briscoes

Bully Ray def. Evil by disqualification

Naito, Bushi and Sanada def. Kushida, Titan and Mistico

Hiromu Takahashi def. Mark Haskins

6 man tag titles match
The Young Bucks and Hangman Page def. Dalton Castle and The Boys, new champions

Cody and Marty Scurll def. The Addiction

The main event was Silas Young vs Jay Lethal in a street fight, but I had to leave early so don't know who won. Sadly I was running the risk of missing the last train home and the show had already run over to 3 and a half hours at this point.

Edit: Silas Young def. Jay Lethal.
Last edited by Enzo on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

YimYac wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:47 am
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:25 am

A couple of special mentions to Mistico and Smile, The former looked so much better than I ever saw in WWE and he looks like for more comfortable with his smaller frame and weight.
Wrong guy. Mistico 1 (that went to WWE) now wrestled as Caristico. This current Mistico is in his early 20s. He got repackaged into the gimmick once the original Mistico became Sin Cara.
Ahh I did wonder but a couple of people had told me so I thought as I don't necesaarily follow CMLL too closely that I should take their word for it and it was the WWE guy, Regardless he is a talented guy that I was happy to see.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I found results from Edinburgh. Look like a strong show, lots of possitve feedback of twitter. Silas went over Lethal and Bucks/Page are your new trios champs!! Bucks are double champs. BC have all the titles.
Triple Threat – Kenny King defeated Josh Bodom and Colt Cabana by Pinfall.

Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Bucanero defeated The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) by Pinfall.

Bully Ray defeated EVIL by Disqualification.

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA & BUSHI) defeated KUSHIDA, Mistico & Titan by Pinfall.

Hiromu Takahashi w/Daryl defeated Mark Haskins by Pinfall.

ROH 6 Man Tag Team Championships – Bullet Club (The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) & Hangman Page) defeated Dalton Castle & The Boys by Pinfall to win the ROH 6 Man Tag Team Championships.

Bullet Club (Marty Scurll & Cody) defeated The Addiction (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian) by Pinfall.

Edinburgh Street Fight – Silas Young defeated Jay Lethal by Pinfall.

Source: @TheQuickFinish on Twitter/ oswtv.wordpress.com
Last edited by AlexROH on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Here you have the photos I took at the London show.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3b0254982c
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

With Dalton officially challenging Cody for the strap, it looked very probable that the six-man titles were to change hands. For the Bucks, I guess that means that they’ll be dropping one of their titles soon. Bullet Club just need the TV Title to hold all the titles--to which, what a refreshing angle.

Back on Dalton, I just found out that he was the one to take the fall in the four-way in Liverpool. I--I don’t know how--it's inexcusable that--Delirious is an extremely incompetent booker.

Despite perhaps having a more rounded out undercard, this tour looks a lot less exciting than last year’s, even with the additional crossovers.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 am Here you have the photos I took at the London show.

Thanks man! I will probably be using some of these. Credit given of course
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

cgstong wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:21 am
AlexROH wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 am Here you have the photos I took at the London show.

Thanks man! I will probably be using some of these. Credit given of course
Feel free to use them! Just notify me when you do it and credit solowrestling.com.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Wilson wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 am Despite perhaps having a more rounded out undercard, this tour looks a lot less exciting than last year’s, even with the additional crossovers.
I'll have to "disagree" with that. Reach for the Sky was a ROH tour, with his big matches, storylines and roster. The goal was to have big matches, great quality in-ring and advance the feuds. That was the goal and that's how it worked, just like in the past ROH UK tours.

Now, on the other hand, War of the Worlds UK was an interpromotional tour. The goal here was letting the fans meet some of their favourite wrestlers from around the world and put cards with cool and fresh matches. It isn't as big or importat like WOTW/GW in USA. They didn't want to have that show stealer matches and classic events, it was about the experience and the live crowd. The objetive here was, IMO, let the european fans had a great time with internatiinal talent and fin matches. You'll have 1-2-3 matches that are GREAT, but the thing here was having a "parte" or "celebration". And you know what, reading the opinión of people who went to the shows, you realized that everybody had an awesome time and enjoy the experience a lot.

WOTW UK wasn't about having a show of the year contender or something like that. You have PPVs and Strong VODs for doing that. WOWT UK was a showcase of the best international talent with dream combinations. WOTW UK was a show for the live crowd and people really like them.

That's how I see it.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

happy for adam page,he works hard...hung bucks!!

i hope dalton go to the main event scene where he belongs.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 am
Wilson wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 am Despite perhaps having a more rounded out undercard, this tour looks a lot less exciting than last year’s, even with the additional crossovers.
I'll have to "disagree" with that. Reach for the Sky was a ROH tour, with his big matches, storylines and roster. The goal was to have big matches, great quality in-ring and advance the feuds. That was the goal and that's how it worked, just like in the past ROH UK tours.

Now, on the other hand, War of the Worlds UK was an interpromotional tour. The goal here was letting the fans meet some of their favourite wrestlers from around the world and put cards with cool and fresh matches. It isn't as big or importat like WOTW/GW in USA. They didn't want to have that show stealer matches and classic events, it was about the experience and the live crowd. The objetive here was, IMO, let the european fans had a great time with internatiinal talent and fin matches. You'll have 1-2-3 matches that are GREAT, but the thing here was having a "parte" or "celebration". And you know what, reading the opinión of people who went to the shows, you realized that everybody had an awesome time and enjoy the experience a lot.

WOTW UK wasn't about having a show of the year contender or something like that. You have PPVs and Strong VODs for doing that. WOWT UK was a showcase of the best international talent with dream combinations. WOTW UK was a show for the live crowd and people really like them.

That's how I see it.
That’s a pretty good assessment of this tour.

Still, I am disappointed that this tour wasn’t an attempt to invigorate their live event tours, and that now even the international stops are an excuse to let their hair down. The announcement of the iPPV, the additional date, the huge cross-promotional announcement were I guess just red herrings all along. Maybe that’s what these War of the Worlds tours (both US and UK) were always meant to be. :r