ROH Best in the World 2017 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
alexsmellzzz

Re: ROH Best in the World 2017 Thread

Post by alexsmellzzz »

I actually really liked the show. I thought they had some great stuff on here considering the fairly weak card. My biggest complaint would be the commentary. Riccaboni was just embarrassing a lot of the time. Like, during the main event, I get that he is supposed to be conveying a lot of emotion. But I didn't buy it, it seemed like he was just yelling words loudly that people use when they get mad. But he didn't seem to be affected very much. It was poor acting, I guess you could call it. BJ and Ian were pretty bad all night, though. ROH really lost a LOT with no Kevin Kelly here. If BJ and Ian is the regular commentary team going forward, that is a bummer.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 am I actually really liked the show. I thought they had some great stuff on here considering the fairly weak card. My biggest complaint would be the commentary. Riccaboni was just embarrassing a lot of the time. Like, during the main event, I get that he is supposed to be conveying a lot of emotion. But I didn't buy it, it seemed like he was just yelling words loudly that people use when they get mad. But he didn't seem to be affected very much. It was poor acting, I guess you could call it. BJ and Ian were pretty bad all night, though. ROH really lost a LOT with no Kevin Kelly here. If BJ and Ian is the regular commentary team going forward, that is a bummer.
The duo is Ian/Cabana, but Colt was un Australia. And yes, I really like Ian, but he has to learn a little bit for of actiing. He never looks natural when commentating big moments.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 am
alexsmellzzz wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 am I actually really liked the show. I thought they had some great stuff on here considering the fairly weak card. My biggest complaint would be the commentary. Riccaboni was just embarrassing a lot of the time. Like, during the main event, I get that he is supposed to be conveying a lot of emotion. But I didn't buy it, it seemed like he was just yelling words loudly that people use when they get mad. But he didn't seem to be affected very much. It was poor acting, I guess you could call it. BJ and Ian were pretty bad all night, though. ROH really lost a LOT with no Kevin Kelly here. If BJ and Ian is the regular commentary team going forward, that is a bummer.
The duo is Ian/Cabana, but Colt was un Australia. And yes, I really like Ian, but he has to learn a little bit for of actiing. He never looks natural when commentating big moments.
Natural or not, I think Ian's acting is an upgrade from Kevin Kelly. As for Whitmer, I actually think he's the best commentator they have.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:35 am
AlexROH wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 am
Natural or not, I think Ian's acting is an upgrade from Kevin Kelly. As for Whitmer, I actually think he's the best commentator they have.
Well, I have to admit that I was a big fan of Corino/Kelly.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Corino/Kelly was fine by me.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Finally got to watch and I Can't say i disliked the PPV at all, compared to how I felt about last years and how I felt that close to the worse show ROH has done, I was more than happy with this one. I would say most matches delivered, if not exceeding in some cases, while it also had some surprises, while also giving people pay off's in their careers. To me it gave enough to everyone and I think as a company that is what you are looking for in todays wrestling and overal I felt it was something that made the WWE when it was great, great.

With regards to the main event personally I liked it, I thought the match itself and from both of them personally told some really nice stories and there seemed to be a few. From the start, showing Daniels experience and knowledge, while also being comfortable in the situation, yet having Cody, despite his attitude show inexperience or the how big this match is getting to him, the middle seem to flow with the Cody showing his youth, daring and resilience, while Daniels tried for broke and started to fade and by the end Cody just had that bit left to get through to what he needed to do. I liked Cody using the ode to Lethal and Okada small but a nice touch.

I think if you wanted to really make the match stand out some moments could have gone on longer especially with how the crowd was with Cody, like when Daniels had him in his submission Cody fell to easily to the ropes while the ending was great as a sequence I would have had that as another near fall for Daniels and pushed it another 5-10 minutes. Other things I didn't like were pretty obvious from the ref bump, the cutter on the chair and how they both went through the table.

Both six man's I liked for difference reasons, although I would have gone with Rebellion winning, as, as a team they needed it more as you can get far more individual success and quality out of the members from Search and Destroy than the likes of Titus and Caprice. I can see Kenny going a long way in a title push if he isn't leaving ROH. As a side note Gresham blew so much and his personality feels so forced at the moment, I don't know if the whole situation is to big for him and he is finding his feet but if they want to exude the idea of perfection he really didn't.

I really enjoyed the Silas/Lethal match although like on TV I don't know why they want away from the leg considering this is what started it all, that being said I really liked the match and the ending help Silas despite the loss, I can Lethal winning the US based title for NJPW now as I imagine that will coincide with his time away from ROH.

The tag match as has been said was a real spot fest and I'm really surprised that Best Friends took the loss consdering who is meant to be leaving. But I can see that being an NJPW call considering who War Machine are facing in a few days.

Biggest disappointment for me had to be the TV title match, it was still a good match but I was hoping for more and I felt their TV match was better overall. Both just seemed too tense for a while and making sure everything would click. Marty reminds of how Nigel was in the begining before he added that extra bit to himself and his matches.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

I review Best in the World on my podcast this week
https://soundcloud.com/websweeklywrestl ... -nightmare