ROH Best in the World 2017 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
King of Indy Style

Re: ROH Best in the World 2017 Thread

Post by King of Indy Style »

War Machine/Young Bucks/Best Friends far away MOTN. Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. It was totally solid but nothing more.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

That main event... That main event was the fucking worst thing I've ever seen in a ROH ME for the World Title. Cody is the wrong man, at least, if he could have great matches, I'd be just angry, but I feel sad watching such a bad match. The worst ROH title victory, even worse than Xavier's in 2002. I hate this, no structure, ref bumps at the 10 minute mark. No heat. Horrible.

The worst way to end Daniels' well deserved title win. And the worst part was the crowd. In another time, such a bad ME would have been booed, but people here cheere every minute for Cody. I'm ashamed as a fan. The PPV was good, I'll do a review tomorrow, but that ME... Man, I'm done. This is a turning point for me as a fan. That ME was all I hate about wrestling and was everything I thought I wouldn't see here in ROH. I have no words.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

Interesting we are getting a Champion vs Champion Match at the NJPW us show
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

15 years later... the same story. The problem now is that ROH hasn't got a mid/uppercard full of talents that will try to steal the show every night. Who will be the next challenger? Bully? Lethal again?

Montana

Post by Montana »

Think you guys may be going a bit overboard with Cody as champ. Xavier wasn't a 6x WWE tag team champ, 2x IC champ... and it's not like Codys washed up/damaged good. Think it's a little early to grade him as champ. I'd imagine he'll have a solid heel run as champ, and hopefully get a face over in due time. Right now, with A LOT of ROH talent leaving, Cody could be the perfect transition, and just what ROH needs. Plus i assume from what i hear/see he's very professional, good locker room guy, no ego, not going to get in trouble, won't hold down talent. Why not put the ROH belt on Cody and put his face on poster/tv to help promote the product??

My Question...Who would you prefer Daniels drop the belt to??? Guys like Marty, Will, Taven, and Jay White aren't ready yet. Briscoe and Lethal would be stale. The only guy that would make semi-logical sense would have been Dalton Castle, and he just re-signed a couple weeks ago. Fish/Cole/Reily are all gone. So i'd imagine they'll build up Rhodes and he'll hold it until Final Battle where the bullet club explodes, where he drops it to Marty Scrull... everyone is happy.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

"The Average Man" is just another glorified midcarder holding the belt at this point. Since Steen, it's been a long string of nothing champions with a perennial tag guy in Briscoe, Elgin a year too late, Lethal and his endless reign of terror, O'Reilly who's never been built up properly, and even Cole's last two felt completely flat.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Montana wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:19 am Think you guys may be going a bit overboard with Cody as champ. Xavier wasn't a 6x WWE tag team champ, 2x IC champ... and it's not like Codys washed up/damaged good. Think it's a little early to grade him as champ. I'd imagine he'll have a solid heel run as champ, and hopefully get a face over in due time. Right now, with A LOT of ROH talent leaving, Cody could be the perfect transition, and just what ROH needs. Plus i assume from what i hear/see he's very professional, good locker room guy, no ego, not going to get in trouble, won't hold down talent. Why not put the ROH belt on Cody and put his face on poster/tv to help promote the product??

My Question...Who would you prefer Daniels drop the belt to??? Guys like Marty, Will, Taven, and Jay White aren't ready yet. Briscoe and Lethal would be stale. The only guy that would make semi-logical sense would have been Dalton Castle, and he just re-signed a couple weeks ago. Fish/Cole/Reily are all gone. So i'd imagine they'll build up Rhodes and he'll hold it until Final Battle where the bullet club explodes, where he drops it to Marty Scrull... everyone is happy.
Daniels should had retained his championship. Cody defeated him in the middle of the ring and Daniels wasn't able to hit his finisher, who the hell booked that match? And yeah, Cody had a lot of midcard titles in WWE, he's a fine midcard wrestler, maybe upper or main event potential if you talk about an entertaiment company such as Impact Wrestling or WWE; but a pure wrestling main eventer. He can't have a great match with a great wrestler, how is he going to look when he face regular wrestlers? I compare it to Xavier bc I see the same type of guy. He has average matches, he isn't a great WRESTLER and he could only have good matches if the use WWE formula with a top guy, just like Xavier did with Paul London at the 1st Anniversary.

And yeah, I know he'll help ROH to grow in the casual market, but you know what? Casuals will get tired of the product, and then, when they don't care about ROH, the company won't have his traditional fanbse. Yeah, thank you Sinclair and thank you Delirious, maybe you sell a lot of PPVs, but you have killed the spirit of the original ROH. ROH is now just another company, another fucking company with all the fuck finish and entertaiment stuff like WWE.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Montana wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:19 am Think you guys may be going a bit overboard with Cody as champ. Xavier wasn't a 6x WWE tag team champ, 2x IC champ... and it's not like Codys washed up/damaged good. Think it's a little early to grade him as champ. I'd imagine he'll have a solid heel run as champ, and hopefully get a face over in due time. Right now, with A LOT of ROH talent leaving, Cody could be the perfect transition, and just what ROH needs. Plus i assume from what i hear/see he's very professional, good locker room guy, no ego, not going to get in trouble, won't hold down talent. Why not put the ROH belt on Cody and put his face on poster/tv to help promote the product??

Cody has been around for over about seven months in the promotion. That's plenty of time to come to a decision on him. For a lot of people, he is not exciting, which dampens the entire main event picture.

For an alternative, I think Adam Cole should have dropped the belt to an up-and-comer in the company rather than Daniels. Dalton Castle is a much fresher choice than either Daniels or Cody, and his contract never seemed to be in much dispute. Now ROH has a sudden and legitimate problem of handing titles to ex-WWE talent: Matt and Jeff Hardy, Bully Ray, Cody. Those four names are also among the few talent that ROH has been trying build/promote this year. It's a huge turnoff, as if the company didn't already have enough of those.

And--totally separate from what you wrote, Montana--what is even going on with how they're using Scurll? They wait until his six month contract is over to give him a big angle and then have him lose two consecutive title matches to outside talent. Like, come on. It seems like no one even has control of the book anymore.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I thought the World Title match was good, and I have no problem with Cody Rhodes as champion.

I liked every match on the card last night. I only had two problems:

-I don't really think the Boys deserve to be Six Man champs. I'm glad Dalton Castle finally has a title, but I wish it didn't mean the Boys, who are essentially his props, went over in a match involving Bubba and the Briscoes.

-I don't like Silas Young losing to Jay Lethal. I understand that they needed to re-establish Jay heading into the IWGP US Title tournament, but still. It's time to stop the hold/cold booking for Silas.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

cody is over,cody is a mainstream champion, the name rhodes is very important for wrestling...maybe not the best champion ever...but i understand the change....he is really over right now...lets wait and see how things evolve for the company...

cheers cody.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

"Rhodes vs. Okada looks to be the first champion vs. champion match of its type since Satoshi Kojima (Triple Crown Champion) and Hiroyoshi Tenzan (IWGP Champion) battled over those titles in 2005.

In the U.S., the last time such a match happened was Triple H (WWF Champion) vs. Taz (ECW champion) on April 18th, 2000, in Philadelphia at the Spectrum."
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I don't hate the title change myself. Cody isn't the best, yeah, but he's professional, he's over, he's marketable, and he can cut a damn good promo. IDK, I've always liked Cody so maybe I'm a little biased
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

One could do worse than Cody.

Hell he's honestly one of the best hands ROH has so I can't really hate on it.

Jay Lethal will be the one who takes it from him.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AlexROH wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:26 am

Daniels should had retained his championship. Cody defeated him in the middle of the ring and Daniels wasn't able to hit his finisher, who the hell booked that match? And yeah, Cody had a lot of midcard titles in WWE, he's a fine midcard wrestler, maybe upper or main event potential if you talk about an entertaiment company such as Impact Wrestling or WWE; but a pure wrestling main eventer. He can't have a great match with a great wrestler, how is he going to look when he face regular wrestlers? I compare it to Xavier bc I see the same type of guy. He has average matches, he isn't a great WRESTLER and he could only have good matches if the use WWE formula with a top guy, just like Xavier did with Paul London at the 1st Anniversary.

And yeah, I know he'll help ROH to grow in the casual market, but you know what? Casuals will get tired of the product, and then, when they don't care about ROH, the company won't have his traditional fanbse. Yeah, thank you Sinclair and thank you Delirious, maybe you sell a lot of PPVs, but you have killed the spirit of the original ROH. ROH is now just another company, another fucking company with all the fuck finish and entertaiment stuff like WWE.
I didn't see the match, so I'll take your word for it, but I was just giving my thoughts on Cody with the belt. He won't be the most exciting guy in the ring, but that might not be a bad thing as a heel Champ. Daniels didn't Light the world on fire as Champ either, and he's 46 (or around there) who knows how long his body sustain main event level matches. Maybe he asked to drop the belt for all we know. Either way, it's good to put the belt on someone who wants to be in/with the company.

Also, people have been saying for 10 years that the spirit of the original ROH is dead...so I'm pretty sure Cody and/or the match last night isn't the one to break the camels back.
Last edited by Montana on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wilson wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 am

Cody has been around for over about seven months in the promotion. That's plenty of time to come to a decision on him. For a lot of people, he is not exciting, which dampens the entire main event picture.

For an alternative, I think Adam Cole should have dropped the belt to an up-and-comer in the company rather than Daniels. Dalton Castle is a much fresher choice than either Daniels or Cody, and his contract never seemed to be in much dispute. Now ROH has a sudden and legitimate problem of handing titles to ex-WWE talent: Matt and Jeff Hardy, Bully Ray, Cody. Those four names are also among the few talent that ROH has been trying build/promote this year. It's a huge turnoff, as if the company didn't already have enough of those.

And--totally separate from what you wrote, Montana--what is even going on with how they're using Scurll? They wait until his six month contract is over to give him a big angle and then have him lose two consecutive title matches to outside talent. Like, come on. It seems like no one even has control of the book anymore.
I'm all for dalton with the belt, but yeah I think him not having a firm commitment, is probably why he and fish lost their title shots. Don't think the 6 man title is the best thing, but what can you do.

As for Scrull, I think that's ROHs guy. I think they are pegging him as the next champ. Him and Cody will split and scrull will have the next "great" run. Assuming scrull stays in ROH of course.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think he's serious. He is consistently talking about returning to wrestling, and he is on record as wanting very badly to work a CMLL Anniversary Show. Whether or not he should is a different matter, but it's looking more and more likely that Bryan Danielson will return to wrestling when his WWE deal is finally done.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Thelone wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:42 am "The Average Man" is just another glorified midcarder holding the belt at this point. Since Steen, it's been a long string of nothing champions with a perennial tag guy in Briscoe, Elgin a year too late, Lethal and his endless reign of terror, O'Reilly who's never been built up properly, and even Cole's last two felt completely flat.
Summed up perfectly.
The title change? Meh. I like Rhodes on the mic. If anything if they wanted to do a title change they did it too quickly. Have Daniels win this one again by the skin of his teeth. Piss Cody off some more. Have him cut some killer heel promos and draw some real heat. This title change feels boring as fuck.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:04 am "Rhodes vs. Okada looks to be the first champion vs. champion match of its type since Satoshi Kojima (Triple Crown Champion) and Hiroyoshi Tenzan (IWGP Champion) battled over those titles in 2005.

In the U.S., the last time such a match happened was Triple H (WWF Champion) vs. Taz (ECW champion) on April 18th, 2000, in Philadelphia at the Spectrum."
That's shocking. Surprised we haven't seen a champion vs. champion match since 2014. The champions have been on opposite sides of tags haven't they? Didn't AJ wrestle Jay Briscoe or Lethal whike he was IWGP Champion and they were ROH Champion?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I remember Naito and Lethal tagged together when they were both champs, and they lost. Didn't see that one coming.