War Of The Worlds 2017 SuperThread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
King of Indy Style

Re: War Of The Worlds 2017 SuperThread

Post by King of Indy Style »

SweetDaddy wrote:Did Daniels retain?

Yup. Daniels hit a BME on Cody when he had Lethal in a Figure 4
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

King of Indy Style wrote:Pretty anticlimatic ending to that main event, if you ask me. Totally bit on that Cross Rhodes kickout by Lethal near the end, I popped BIG lol
Finsih of Daniels vs. Castle was rather anticlimactic as well. Once Cody locked on that Figure Four, I figured a BME out of nowhere was coming.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Gotta wonder what the main event of BITW will be now. Was almost certain it would be Daniels vs. Cody but after that finish in kayfabe how would it be justified for Cody to get another shot?
King of Indy Style

dhads7161 wrote:Gotta wonder what the main event of BITW will be now. Was almost certain it would be Daniels vs. Cody but after that finish in kayfabe how would it be justified for Cody to get another shot?
I think they mentioned that Lethal's shoulders were down as well but I have to agree that there was some questionable booking there.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

Good show don't understand why Marty needs to be in the bullet club when he better on his own but okay I guess. The ospreay jay white match was a nice match considering how much I hate ospreay as a wrestler. The tanahashi Cole match was okay. The main event was good I thought they was going to continue lethal losing streak with him getting pin.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Maybe Cody blames Lethal and they have a FWH at BitW. I still wouldn't expect Omega, but between his win in Toronto and his cameo tonight... Maybe?

SCW with BC against the Addiction and whomever would be cool too.
Last edited by maxx_powerz on Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of Indy Style

Only problem with that is that Omega is likely winning the IWGP Heavyweight Title at Dominion, so that means either Omega has to split his time between ROH and NJPW, and while it's doable, I don't see at all, or Daniels retains, and beats the IWGP World Champion, which NJPW wouldn't allow in 10,000 years, OR they do some sort of a schmozz finish, which would suck and piss people off.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I don't think its likely, just trying to make sense of the booking. If Cody pins CD in a tag tomorrow, it could easily be Daniels versus Cody still. After his show stealing win, Daniels versus Ospreay would be interesting.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Ospreay?

He's not even on Scurll's level.

I have to say that even though NJPW didnt send their "A" team other than Naito and Tanahashi the ppv looked good.

I'm as big of a NJPW fan as there is and I find the ROH shows lacking horribly when they aren't on them.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Hopefully I can see the show today, I have tried to stay away from most of results and things that had happened, I personally really hate the idea of Marty in the Bullet Club, he just didn't need it and was creating something of his own, now it will just have another tainted talent of the Bullet Club moniker which there just isn't much need for now. I imagine this was probably an NJPW decission as I could see them wanting to exapnd on the Bullet Club vs Choas rivalry with Ospreay vs Marty going for a while in New Japan and maybe ROH but it would make more sense to do in Japan.

Personally I would love to see Ospreay as the Champ. right now he is one of the big babyfaces out there in wrestling as there are hardly any these days and it needs to be capatalised on by someone.

I certainly think Cody is the nexy champ wether at BITW or maybe one after that unless they do a very big swerve and go for someone completely out of Knowhere.

Also rather glad my prediction about White and Ospreay came true.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Real wrestlers of the past roll over in their graves when Ospreay wrestles.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Last night's War of the Worlds shows was good. Not the home run that the Anniversary was but still a good effort. I liked this show better than the first one in Toronto. 9 matches for 3 hours are too much. I'd rather see a 7 match card. The first half was fine, undercard-midcard matches do well with 9-13 minutes, but the main events need more time, at least 20 minutes. The crowd was kindda dead sometimes and felt tired by half of the show.

- KUSHIDA vs Castle vs Fish vs Silas *** Great opener. Silas needs a push, he's a freaking star. I'd love to see him as TV champ this year.

- Kaz vs Page **3/4 Fine for what it was. They didn't have a lot of time, so they just went out, brawled and did their thing. I liked the intesity here. The Roll-Up finishe make me think that we'll see another match between these two, maybe a Street Figh or something like that.

- War Machine vs S&D vs LIJ ***1/2 Great stuff here. Gresham looked great and had an awesome PPV debut. Sabin, idk why, got all the boos from the crowd. War Machine is finally over with the crowd, which is something great. Good, non-stop action, match.

- White vs Ospreay **** Awesome stuff! MOTN, by far. White had the best match of his ROH career, better than the Lio Rush match last year after BITW (I think it was AFTERSHOCK VOD). Awesome stuff, Will is an amazing talent, I want more of him in ROH, and I want it now. Post-match segment with Martienez was well executed. He got a big reaction from the crowd. At this point of the show (1h 10min), I thought timming was excellent, but the second half was meh. Some good action, but like I said before, less than 2 hours isn't good for 4 title matches and 1 dream match.

- [No DQ] Bully & Briscoes vs CHAOS - ***1/4 Yes, just like he did at Unauthorized and at Masters of the Craft, Bully cuts a promo and makes this match No DQ. People went crazy for him, one of the biggests pops of the night. The match was a 10 minute chaotic brawl with a hot finish. Baretta, again, took the bigger spots, you gotta respect this man. The match necessary. Fans needed a break after the White-Ospreay. Btw, I like Bully & Briscoes trio, but this has to end in 2-3 months. Bully needs to turn heel and Briscoes need to do their thing. The 3D nostalgia is fine, but they are wasting three good talents.

- Scurll vs Sydal *** Just like the Sydal-Lethal match from Final Battle three years ago, this had a lot of hype and then it wasn't as good as everybody thought. Crowd was dead, but I liked this one. Not their best match, but they worked hard.

- BUSHI/Naito vs Bucks ***1/4 Well, this was funny. Another standard Young Bucks match here. I usually don't have a problem with this, but they were facing Naito and BUSHI, so I was expecting a little bit more. Less comedy, more wrestling, just like the sprint they had with Lio & White back in Manhattan Mayhem VI.

- Tanahashi vs Cole **3/4 Meh. Meh and more meh. This wasn't even close to the Strong-Tana match from WOTW 2015 (they only time Tanahashi has worked motivated in the US). Tana worked in house show mode and Cole wasn't able to do anything. He can't carry Tana to a big match. This reminded me a lot to the Elgin-Tana match from Global Wars 2015. A lot of hype, but Tana didn't do anything and the match was under 14 minutes. Cole-White from Unauthorized was a better match than this one. The post-match was great stuff. Omega's promo was fine, a little too long for me, but the Scurll thing was an awesome moment. I would say even better than the big Global Wars 2016 angle with Cole during the main event. Marty Scurll as the leader of BC in the US is cool. This makes me think that there's a possibility of seeing my dream booking: Marty Scurll defeating the big babyface champ at the end of the year to become ROH's next World Champ. Pls Delirious, make it happend.

- Cody vs Daniels vs Lethal ***1/4 They knew they only had 13 minutes, and they worked hard. Fun Triple Threat, better than the ZSJ-Daniels-Cole match from WCPW. I liked the final minutes. The Best Moonsault Ever finish was something I saw from the moment Cody did the Figure Four. I would say that he even looked at the ringside area and tell Daniels he was going for the move hahah. Also, this match had a "great moment", maybe my biggest reaction to a kick-out in a long time. The moment Cody knocked out Daniels with the table, killed the referee and did the Crossrhodes, I thought he was going to win the title. I felt such a bad taste, like, hey, this is ROH in 2016, ref bumps, 13 minutes main events and Cody being the World champ. But then Lethal kicked out!!! Hahaha, as I said, a great moment. Looks like he's going to get a title shot at BITW, Hope he didn't win it. The thing I didn't like was the crowd chearing for Cody, our fanbase has changed a lot man [cornette] [cornette]

In conclussion, a fine show, with a strong first half. The second hour had worse wrestling, but gave us the big angle with Marty Scurll/Bullet Club and Daniels retaining the belt.

Final rating: 7 / 10.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Let's guess Cole's farewell match at the TV tapings...Cole & Cheeseburger vs. The Bucks.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

King of Indy Style wrote:Only problem with that is that Omega is likely winning the IWGP Heavyweight Title at Dominion, so that means either Omega has to split his time between ROH and NJPW, and while it's doable, I don't see at all, or Daniels retains, and beats the IWGP World Champion, which NJPW wouldn't allow in 10,000 years, OR they do some sort of a schmozz finish, which would suck and piss people off.
I've been thinking of all the possibilities to challenge Daniels at BITW and one just stuck out to me...Kazarian. I know I may get shit for that one but this reign is boring with Daniels as a babyface, Kazarian would be perfect to facilitate a heel turn for Daniels. Story of the match is nobody knows Daniels better than Kazarian and vice versa neither can seem to get their big moves in. Bullet Club interference takes out Todd Sinclair and after dispatching Page and The Bucks interference Daniels picks up the title in the ring while Kazarian is in the cliched spot of front side of the ring challenging the heels toh come back for more, he turns around to a belt shot. Daniels covers as Todd is coming to and it's over. Can run with Daniels vs. Kazarian for a couple of months while they groom someone to take it off Daniels at Final Battle.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

White might be able to work a little but you could hear crickets during his entrance.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

So, God willing, we might see Scurll vs. Daniels in June? I'm having serious ROH Bullet Club fatigue, but it definitely beats having Cody as champion.
SweetDaddy wrote:Real wrestlers of the past roll over in their graves when Ospreay wrestles.
And people of the living plane roll their eyes at such nonsense.
christopherclinton55

SweetDaddy wrote:Real wrestlers of the past roll over in their graves when Ospreay wrestles.
And people of the living plane roll their eyes at such nonsense.[/quote]

Why is it nonsense?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

christopherclinton55 wrote:
Wilson wrote:And people of the living plane roll their eyes at such nonsense.
Why is it nonsense?
I'm referring to the nonsense that Ospreay is somehow killing the biz-a-ness.

What part of Ospreay's wrestling style actually hurts pro wrestling? Is it his athleticism? His connection with the crowd? Is it his millennial-ism? Him not wrestling isn't going to negate extant styles showcased in HUSTLE, Chikara, DDT, Dragon Gate, PWG, or Lucha Underground. The argument has no ground, especially with Kenny Omega as the world's hottest stars.
christopherclinton55

Wilson wrote:
christopherclinton55 wrote:
Wilson wrote:And people of the living plane roll their eyes at such nonsense.
Why is it nonsense?
I'm referring to the nonsense that Ospreay is somehow killing the biz-a-ness.

What part of Ospreay's wrestling style actually hurts pro wrestling? Is it his athleticism? His connection with the crowd? Is it his millennial-ism? Him not wrestling isn't going to negate extant styles showcased in HUSTLE, Chikara, DDT, Dragon Gate, PWG, or Lucha Underground. The argument has no ground, especially with Kenny Omega as the world's hottest stars.
I don't think he's killing the business. I am definitely not a fan of his but I wouldn't say that. Now ospreay to me isn't above criticism everyone entitled to an opinion. I personally don't think he should been a television champion.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Of course I understand that Ospreay wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea--he's not always mine. To narrate, impossibly, the perspective of dead wrestlers, or the collective imagination of a generation past, on how they would evaluate fast, acrobatic wrestling in today's arena is cranky and kooky nonsense.