War Of The Worlds 2017 SuperThread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: War Of The Worlds 2017 SuperThread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Not sure if this has been shared in this thread yet....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

King of Indy Style wrote:How are you going to build matches and give them "Emotion" when half of the show's roster is in Japan?? And I for one couldn't give a damn about emotion in or building a match. Just give me good wrestling, IDC if the story is paper thin, or even non-existent. Exactly why I love NJPW and PWG, they have minor storyline/build, and put it all in the wrestling.
Which is why you shouldn't waste a PPV on the New Japan guys. Maybe just have one or two of them appear on the PPV for a guaranteed draw of a match like Cole vs. Tanahashi and fly the rest in a day later.
Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote:
and yeah...looks like dalton castle has no direction again...i hope he wins the 4cs and goes for the tv tittle.
Which would be exactly what Dalton was doing at this time last year.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Eh....not a big fan of the PPV in NYC having nine matches on it. Eight is a perfect number for a PPV. With nine, matches are going to get cut a little short. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it could definitely hurt the quality of the show (see the 14th Anniversary Show as an example)
Not could it will.

Totally unnecessary for that many fucking matches. Average match will be like 9 minutes at this point. Guys will get their spots in and a quick finish. Lame. Crowd will get the wind taken out of their sails by halfway through the card chomping at the bit for a good 25 minute match. NJPW doesn't give a shit. At this point its free advertising for their eventual expansion into the U.S.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

is not fair to say that njpw doesn't give a shit...i dont think that is true.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Get rid of fucking Kazarian vs. Hangman Page to get it back down to 8. That match is gonna blow ass and it's going to be the shit break. Make them the fucking pre-show match or something. I love the card, but the fact that THAT is taking up time on the PPV is a joke. That wouldn't even be a TV main event. I know that's a petty complaint to have but it really chaps my ass.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

monster mafia wrote:is not fair to say that njpw doesn't give a shit...i dont think that is true.
Let me break it down for you then. When Vince took 4 NJPW guys, the NJPW honchos viewed that as an act of war. They might not have outright said it, but it was definitely inferred. If you don't think at this point NJPW would walk over the bloated carcass of Joe Koff to get a leg up on Vince, then you must be naive to wrestling promoters, as well that the integrity the Japanese culture prides itself on at being able to carry business operations with surgical precision second to none in the world. No disrespect intended monster mafia.
Big Red Machine

King of Indy Style wrote:Get rid of fucking Kazarian vs. Hangman Page to get it back down to 8. That match is gonna blow ass and it's going to be the shit break. Make them the fucking pre-show match or something. I love the card, but the fact that THAT is taking up time on the PPV is a joke. That wouldn't even be a TV main event. I know that's a petty complaint to have but it really chaps my ass.
I'd like to see the three-way tag cut, too. Maybe do those matches before the PPV and release them as bonus footage for the DVD. I'd much rather see seven matches than eight, just to ensure that things get the proper amount of time.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well. I like Kaz vs Page bc they've been building this match for one month.

I would love to see a 7 match Card, but there's so much talent and ROH want to hace everybody in the card, which is a cool thing.

Eight match shows work. Just look ay the 15th Anniversary, an 8 match Card for an awesome PPV.

However, I'll give ROH the benefit of the doubt because the original WotW un 2014 had 9 matches and It was one of the best shows have done in some years. The undercard matches doesn't need to be long. I'm sure they'll be fun interpromotional matches. Give more time to the ME (is a 3 Way, I'm fine if they give them 15-20 min), Tana-Cole and Sydal-Scurll. The rest can work great matches in 10-13 minutes territory, just remember the Bucks-reDRagon or Steen-Nakamura matches.

And talking (again) about doing the NJPW show a PPV... You've always complain about how silly ROH was for no doing Global War/WotW a PPV bc the audience love the concept. I loved this time of the year, and more now that they've put awesome Cards. WOTW Tour is always full of great matches and cool things. You know they aren't going to build up some matches, but that's the funny thing about interpromotional shows. Plus, I feel that this year's tour has the same special aura than the first one bc ROH has stopped the use of NJPW talent in 3/5 shows, like they did last year.

Does ROH have a lot of problems right now? Yes Do they have problems Booking relevant matches and building new stars? Yes. But, aren't these Cards looking as great (or even better) as the 2015 shows? Yes. We can Talk about the problems in ROH when they start the building for BITW.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed. I have tickets to the NYC show and was real excited to go to it after the 2014 war of the worlds I went to, but that had Okada, Tanahashi, Elgin, AJ, Shinsuke, Steen etc. This has Tanahashi and Naito. Honestly, the card on this show tells me how much more New Japan cares about making an impact with the US G1 shows than they care about this tour. They gave ROH some pretty unimportant talent.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Mike Adamle wrote:Honestly I'm pretty disappointed. I have tickets to the NYC show and was real excited to go to it after the 2014 war of the worlds I went to, but that had Okada, Tanahashi, Elgin, AJ, Shinsuke, Steen etc. This has Tanahashi and Naito. Honestly, the card on this show tells me how much more New Japan cares about making an impact with the US G1 shows than they care about this tour. They gave ROH some pretty unimportant talent.
Unimportant? They've bring New Japan's biggest stable. The only guy missing is Okada. Omega has visa issues and Shibata almost die last month. Ishii has only come 1-2 times and Ricochet has the no compete clause.
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Honestly I'm pretty disappointed. I have tickets to the NYC show and was real excited to go to it after the 2014 war of the worlds I went to, but that had Okada, Tanahashi, Elgin, AJ, Shinsuke, Steen etc. This has Tanahashi and Naito. Honestly, the card on this show tells me how much more New Japan cares about making an impact with the US G1 shows than they care about this tour. They gave ROH some pretty unimportant talent.
Unimportant? They've bring New Japan's biggest stable. The only guy missing is Okada. Omega has visa issues and Shibata almost die last month. Ishii has only come 1-2 times and Ricochet has the no compete clause.
I'd actually really like to see them rotate who they bring in. We don't need guys like Roppongi Vice and EVIL every time. Obviously it's nice to get Tanahashi, Naito, and Okada as much as possible, but I'd like to see Makabe or Nagata instead of fourth-stringers like some of the guys we get.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Big Red Machine wrote:
AlexROH wrote:
I'd actually really like to see them rotate who they bring in. We don't need guys like Roppongi Vice and EVIL every time. Obviously it's nice to get Tanahashi, Naito, and Okada as much as possible, but I'd like to see Makabe or Nagata instead of fourth-stringers like some of the guys we get.
Rotation un great. I loved when they announced last year that Ishii, Goto and Shibata were comming to the US.Makabe? Really, he's an old man, I'd rather see Kojima or Tenzan.

I think Nagata or Makabe are "too old" for the visa issiues. I mean, they are always in Japan so I understand they don't want to gl throught the processes of getting a visa for just one tour.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote:
But you know, I see where Adamle is coming from. The guy has tickets to this huge show and the live experience is different than seeing it on PPV. Its more of an emotional investment and that's a fact. So yeah, I can understand his perspective totally. It sure would seem underwhelming to me if I was in his shoes.

Trust me when I said in an earlier post and Mike echoes it: That New Japan is circling the wagons with this G1 show in the U.S. Makabe, Omega, and all those guys will get visas for that show. I mean you really don't think with them trying to get a foothold in the U.S. as their own brand they're not going to have all of their stars there? This is the beginning of the end with the NJPW relationship as we know it.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Yeah, NJPW has seen that they can sold 6.000 tickets in 24 hours. They know that they don't need ROH un the USA anymore.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so are you complaining about the tour? oh my god no...

I wish I could be there live.

damn.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

AlexROH wrote:
That's 4 people. I was really hoping for Minoru Suzuki. That's 5. Not to mention Jushin Liger who I'd actually love to see again. Plus I would've really liked to see Hiromu Takahashi. There's 7.

And that's not even including the guys I've never seen that I'm sure will be here in August for the G1 like Makabe, Kojima, Tenzan, Nagata, Fale, etc.

Instead of the IWGP Junior Heavyweight, champion coming over I got 6 Man Tag champs. And we all know how valuable those are.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote:so are you complaining about the tour? oh my god no...

damn.
Not the idea of the tour. Just it's scope and position in the schedule. It's too many New Japan guys for a TV PPV. I think these shows would do just as well as iPPVs, so why waste one of your six over the air traditional PPV slots on them?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Big Red Machine wrote:
monster mafia wrote:so are you complaining about the tour? oh my god no...

damn.
Not the idea of the tour. Just it's scope and position in the schedule. It's too many New Japan guys for a TV PPV. I think these shows would do just as well as iPPVs, so why waste one of your six over the air traditional PPV slots on them?
are you saying is bad to put the nyc show on ppv? that makes no sense men.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Neither does saying men, it's man.

Plus, Matt Taven hasn't been announced for a match yet. I'm predicting he wins his title shot and it's a 4-way at the PPV.

I'm interested in Tanahashi-Cole obviously, and The Young Bucks/BUSHI&Naito. There's nothing else on this card that pops out as "wow I've gotta be there for this." The one I'm comparing it to had Bucks/redDRagon, Steen/Nakamura, AJ/Elgin/Okada, Lethal/KUSHIDA, etc. So many matches I had to be there for. I was hoping for that same type of hype this time around.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: