20 Years Ago - ECW Barely Legal

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

20 Years Ago - ECW Barely Legal

Post by supersonic »

Lapsed Fan podcast - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ep- ... 62407&mt=2

While this isn't ROH in name, today is a very special anniversary of the 1990s "little engine that could" finally getting on PPV, and paving the way for ROH and the rest of the underground wrestling scene when the War ended just 4 years later.

In particular, learn about the show-stealing Michinoku Pro trios match that came 9 years before Supercard of Honor's 2006 Match of the Year winner. There's also the small-in-stature submission bad ass that no doubt inspired the likes of Low Ki and Samoa Joe.

And for those who forget, inaugural ROH booker Gabe Sapolsky was very much a part of this behind the scenes with his various duties.

For those who experienced this historic event in real-time, please share any memories before, during, and after. What is this PPV's ultimate legacy?
AlexROH

Re: 20 Years Ago - ECW Barely Legal

Post by AlexROH »

I think this was a good, not great, PPV. The Michinoku Pro trios match was fine, but I liked Sabu vs Tazz more. Ah, and that Pitbull #2 vs Shane Douglas is one of the fucking worst matches I've ever seen in my life hahahha.
Brada

Post by Brada »

It will always be considered cool because of the fact that it was considered "Underground" of sorts back in its time, especially when it began on PPV and the majority of the familiar audience gained knowledge through tape trading.....

ECW was definitely ahead of its time.
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

AlexROH wrote:I think this was a good, not great, PPV. The Michinoku Pro trios match was fine, but I liked Sabu vs Tazz more. Ah, and that Pitbull #2 vs Shane Douglas is one of the fucking worst matches I've ever seen in my life hahahha.
You are right about Douglas-Pit Bull 2. The 3 way with Funk, Sandman, & Richards was great.