ThROH the Years - ROH Chronological Retro Podcast

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Hobbes

Re: ThROH the Years - ROH Retro Podcast

Post by Hobbes »

That'll probably be coming in a few weeks, not one, apologies. :cry:
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Not that I plan to hijack the thread too much, but here's my review of Stryker vs. Carter after having read it about it for years being a supposed forgotten classic.
Tom Carter vs. Matt Stryker

This one definitely hasn't aged that impressively, although I appreciated the effort in it. Full disclosure before I get to the critiquing: this and the match against Doug Williams two months later are the only matches of Carter's that I've seen; I've never watched any of his Reckless Youth material.

Both men did a solid job of incorporating technical wrestling, and had the benefit of a hot crowd when the match started. It's a shame that neither man had the charisma and selling ability/willingness to truly engage the crowd. Put Alex Shelley and Bryan Danielson in this exact spot, with the same amount of time, with the same storytelling goals in mind, and this would have been significantly better.

I appreciate that Stryker was able to overcome the leg work Carter had done on him by rolling him up during an attempted submission, since based on the commentary Stryker was more experienced with technical wrestling schemes. But this was honestly no better than a fun but ultimately forgettable 10 minute match on SmackDown! This certainly wasn't worth the $40 I shelled out on eBay just to see this match, but hey, I sold the master copy for $50. I'm not surprised that ROH hasn't prioritized including this match on Year Two or any other comps.

The post-match is hilarious yet tedious, with Carter whining about being a junior style pioneer on the indies and not getting respect for it, saying Stryker's pin was a fluke too. Again, this is the only promo I've ever watched Carter/Youth cut, but it was not impressive, and the phenomenal promo later on this show in the exact same ring wasn't doing Carter any favors.

I must note that Allison Danger came to the ring to discuss Carter having a spot in the Prophecy, and she had a one-piece spandax bellbottom outfit that had me laughing. Was fashion in the very early 21st Century really that horrendous, or was that just a wrestler lacking fashion awareness?

Rating: ***1/4
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Thought now would be the best time to sticky this thread due to how close the streak of Man-on-Woman Violence is to tying the Flag Man Walking's at mcmania.

(Which is to say, Hey, Gabe, what's really up? I'm looking at the records here, and that's a lot. You sure you're good?)
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

ThROH The Years becomes an adult with episode 20 and joining us once again is Boston correspondent Joe Gagne! We review Night of the Grudges and talk about a fantabulous Styles/London match, Steve Corino in prison. a fan that says “Whoa whoa”, and so much more. It’s a little shorter but jam packed with odd references, so we think you’ll enjoy!

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... e-grudges/
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

For the next event, here's a brief junk food level topic - was the event title inspired by this wonderful WCW 1999 staple?

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

ThROH The Years is completely legal with episode 21! We cover Wrestlerave, which does in fact include both wrestling and a rave. Dan Maff wrestles a day after losing his father. CM Punk cuts one of the most important promos of his career. Gary Michael Cappetta is a little shit stirrer. We ponder if puke was a planned spot. Grab your party favors and enjoy!

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... lerave-03/
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

One angle to look at for the next edition, and it wasn't done for Final Battle, perhaps because that show hadn't really been established yet as the company's Starrcade/WrestleMania.

How does the original Death Before Dishonor deliver as the company's initial version of SummerSlam/Great American Bash, prior to Best in the World taking that spot? What make the inaugural edition so successful in the Death Before Dishonor brand being generally treated with such reverence during the Feinstein and Silkin eras?
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Me and Matt agree that's an interesting line of questioning and we'll try to address that on the next episode.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

ThROH The Years makes up lost time with a supersized episode! Death Before Dishonor is in many ways the biggest ROH show we’ve covered yet and we’ve brought Alan Counihan (PWTorch, WXW) to help us! Paul London’s goodbye, the beer angle, Jeff Hardy’s disaster, there is too much to talk about, and we cover it all while still finding time to learn about the two wrestlers Alan has made cry.

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... -dishonor/
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

And the lengthy Jerry Lynn psychoanalysis begins.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Alan perfectly articulated what a worthless sack of shit Jeff Hardy had become, which would remain the case for 3 years. His drug habits and injuries had crushed his desire to be a standout commodity in any way. The crowd deserves appreciation as I believe based on his ticket sale numbers, he would’ve been brought back much sooner than 2017 and stunk up many more ROH cards.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

ThROH The Years returns in the dog days of summer to cover Wrath of the Racket, one of the first B shows in company history. Jim Cornette’s in ring debut! Colt makes jokes! The world’s most dangerous washing machine is discussed, and we even start the show gabbing about modern ROH and plugging a retro ROH podcast that isn’t ours. We’re pretty nice!

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... he-racket/
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

That "Snatch" reference is the Cabana and McGuinness segment is a nice unintentional foreshadowing, considering that film has a prominent scene that plays the Oasis track "Fuckin' in the Bushes."

With only the main event remaining, this edition of the podcast is definitely NOT making me regret skipping this show in my reviewing project, even with a major storyline plot point.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... r-enemies/
Steve Corino loses his hearing. Dan Maff loses his consciousness. We lose our freaking minds. It’s episode 24 of ThROH The Years, and Matt and Trevor cover one of the best, most violent matches in ROH history, plus the first ever CM Punk/Samoa Joe match, plus like a hundred other things. The excitement is so dense you’re going to need a buzzsaw to cut through it, so prepare to enjoy.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

ThROH The Years hits the quarter century mark with episode 25, and Joe Gagne returns to help cover Beating The Odds. A fascinating show with tons of details about the Punk/Raven match that was and the one that, well, wasn’t. TNA tension, copious edits, Colt Cabana skin conditions and chicken parm are all talked about. Oh, and Trent Acid vs. Homicide 2 was pretty crazy too! End your summer right with this episode!

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... -the-odds/
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

ThROH The Years is here to bask in Glory By Honor 2, but we've brought a guest! AAW executive producer and podcast prince Dr.Keith Lipinski joins us to run down the whole show from a live perspective! Bathrooms overflow, Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels have a great match, and Terry Funk keeps it going at 59 but almost dies trying to meet our guest. Most importantly, Matt sings a Julius Smokes song at the end of the show, so I don't need to sell you on anything else.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly ... y-honor-ii
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The streak is over. ThROH The Years mourns (we mean celebrates) the death of a streak that has lasted all 26 previous episodes, but soldiers on with a review of Tradition Continues, the most misleading title in history! Matt and Trevor disagree more than they have in quite some time, but they come together over love for AJ Styles vs. CM Punk, Samoa Joe vs. Jay Briscoe, and Lipton’s Chicken Noodle Soup. Is this show kind of disappointing or a template for good B-market shows? We discuss, you decide!

http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... continues/
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ThROH The Years returns to New York and it’s a real whatchamadoo. We cover Empire State Showdown, a show famous for a very unique CM Punk/Steve Corino segment, but there are other things to talk about as well! Homicide vs. Samoa Joe in a no holds barred match! Julius Smokes’ best performance ever? Scarred Babies! Gerbils in G-Strings! None of that probably makes any sense to you but we promise it all will after you listen. The most laugh filled ThROH The Years yet!
http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... -showdown/
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ThROH The Years presents another first time guest for a lengthy episode with the wonderful Joe Sposto! This was a show all about men behaving badly and we cover the Low Ki and Teddy Hart situations in detail. In addition, the Briscoes first ROH tag title win, and in a match you’d never see in these modern times, AJ Styles vs. Bryan Danielson.
http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... pectacles/
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ThROH The Years helps conclude 2018 by reviewing…The Conclusion! It features the final ROH CM Punk vs. Raven match, but does it feel like a true satisfying end? Is Samoa Joe/AJ Styles vs. The Briscoes the best ROH tag match yet? Are any of these midcard feuds interesting? Did the SAT kill another wrestler? All these questions and more are answered, as we go bone to bone here on episode 30.
http://placetobenation.com/throh-the-ye ... onclusion/