PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

Post by supersonic »

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/buyout-ring-honor-wwe/

Observer:
Pro Wrestling Sheet reported on 3/22 that the WWE was in talks with Sinclair Broadcasting regarding purchasing of Ring of Honor.

There had been stories going around wrestling of talks between Sinclair and WWE regarding buying ROH in recent weeks, to the point over the past month, there were people asking questions to those in the company about the story. Those in the company denied the story being accurate at the time to talent that had asked.

Joe Koff had not commented at press time on the story, but others in the company have stated that they weren’t aware of any talks and that nothing has happened that would make things seem any different from business as usual going forward.

A major key to the deal would include the purchase of the ROH library, which has early matches of many of the current top WWE names including Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, Daniel Bryan, A.J. Styles, Austin Aries and many others. We’re told WWE first inquired about purchasing ROH dating back to August, and wanted to do so for more than just the tape library. There have also been at least minor inquiries and feelers about purchasing other independent companies, both in the U.S. and the U.K., for tape libraries and perhaps to limit outside options for talent.

If WWE was to purchase the company, the question becomes would they operate it and honor the contracts or close it down, like was the plan with TNA when there were negotiations to purchase that company a few months ago largely for the videotape rights and intellectual property going forward. WWE has a lot of developmental talent that really needs more ring time in front of fans than they are getting in the current system. It’s also beneficial for the company, as far as being able to keep pay for the top rising stars down by taking away alternatives, to control as much of the full-time U.S. marketplace as there is.

These reports won’t help morale as ROH is set up for what could be its largest attended show in its history on 4/1 in Lakeland, FL. In addition, the company is still scheduled for a series of joint shows in May with New Japan Pro Wrestling.

As noted many times, Sinclair has never gotten fully behind the company, which was ahead of Impact in a lot of facets including overall interest, but never was able to get the television production quality necessary to get the type of overseas money deals and national cable deals that have kept Impact barely afloat over the past year. The production of the television has improved over the past year. Still, both companies lost Destination America at the same time, but Impact was able to get on Pop TV, while ROH got on Comet TV, which was mostly low power broadcast stations that weren’t on most cable systems. Because of being on Sinclair broadcast stations, ROH reached more viewers weekly than Impact, but still lagged behind in production and overseas penetration.

Those in WWE had talked about meetings for such a deal two weeks ago, and for a few days the story was being talked about by people on the inside in other companies, but nothing had materialized. At this point there is nothing concrete as to where this stands or the odds of it actually taking place.

Still, just the idea they are talking will change the dynamic inside the company, as well as within New Japan and CMLL, who have working relationships with ROH. ROH was a place New Japan could send young talent to garner experience, such as Yohei Komatsu, Sho Tanaka and Jay White on the current roster.

It would also leave the leading company in Japan, as well as Mexico, if such a deal goes through, with limited options for an American partner. New Japan and Impact had a deal fall through years ago and Impact always had used the New Japan talent poorly. Similarly, Impact and CMLL had a working agreement at one point with the same end result.

The only other company of significance in the U.S. at this point would be Lucha Underground, and they are in bed with AAA, CMLL’s mortal enemy, and New Japan has always made it clear they wouldn’t work with anyone affiliated with AAA. Plus, Lucha Underground has lost so much money and seemed to really lose its way over the last year creatively. It has strong backers, but its battle plan was more to present television to get characters over with the idea of using those characters in a Sci-Fi movie as opposed to building a full-time wrestling company.

ROH had become, especially over the past year when salaries had been raised and business had increased, become a place where talent could bargain and key talent was offered more money than WWE or TNA were offering, and in other cases, even if they could make more in TNA, the feeling was that TNA wasn’t a place to go to build a name. It was also a way to stay in the business full-time for some who had talent but for whatever reason, WWE didn’t feel they fit into their promotion, as well as an American outpost for those who had deals with New Japan to work in between tours.
Last edited by supersonic on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monster mafia

Re: PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks since January

Post by monster mafia »

damn.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Absolutely awful to read about. I just have to hope it doesn't happen. If it does......I don't even want to think about it. If it DOES happen I guess I'll only watch Lucha and PWG as my North American promotions, because there isn't a chance in hell I'd watch shitty WWE-fied ROH.
Last edited by King of Indy Style on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

God damn.

This is the worst possible thing that could happen to wrestling in the US right now.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I hope it happens so the NXT and ROH rosters merge as both lack depth of the past.

A roster with the Bucks, DIY, KENTA, Lethal, Briscoes, Strong, Cole, Scurll, Sombra, Hero, Dillinger all busting ass to get promoted to Raw and SmackDown? That's golden age ROH potential level shit.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I'm talking right out of my ass here, but wouldn't it make a whole lot of sense for Bushiroad to buy ROH in the event that Sinclair sells it? It would pretty much be turn-key. They're trying to break into North America anyway. The products are already pretty intertwined.

It would certainly make NJPW World attractive if they put all the ROH shows on it.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Wrestling fans are gonna watch wrestling even if their only option is at the local armory.

I'd hate it if WWE did buy out ROH but the truth is NJPW owns Japan, AAA owns Mexico, and WWE owns the rest of the world.

We need to accept that WWEs the NFL and damn near every wrestler in the world's goal is to make it there.

Kinda hard to compete in that environment.

I'm not a WWE hater like some but my problem is I find the product to be stale that's why I've quit watching it and moved on to NJPW and ROH.

I guess I better get over it and be thankful we still have NJPW.

At least I found ROH 4 years ago and got to see what it was about.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I'm indifferent. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Let's face it. This company is a shell of its former self and will probably never recover. At least I have PWG and NJPW.
Blackshirt30

Post by Blackshirt30 »

I won't watch anything the WWE touches. Sorry, I don't hate on anybody that does, but I just won't. I'm mainly just into NJPW and RevPro at this point anyways. While the last couple ROH big shows/PPV's have been very good, the roster has been decimated and it's probably only going to get worse over the next few months. Other than the tape library, not sure why the WWE would want to buy ROH at this point.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

...and my second thought- what an expensive way to fire Delirious.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I'm indifferent. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Let's face it. This company is a shell of its former self and will probably never recover. At least I have PWG and NJPW.
Voices of Wrestling has stressed to give Progress a chance. It sounds perfect for you.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

famicommander wrote:I'm talking right out of my ass here, but wouldn't it make a whole lot of sense for Bushiroad to buy ROH in the event that Sinclair sells it? It would pretty much be turn-key. They're trying to break into North America anyway. The products are already pretty intertwined.

It would certainly make NJPW World attractive if they put all the ROH shows on it.
It makes sense for the library and for WWE to use ROH as a sub NXT promotion. But it would also make sense for Bushiroad to do the same.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

supersonic wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I'm indifferent. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Let's face it. This company is a shell of its former self and will probably never recover. At least I have PWG and NJPW.
Voices of Wrestling has stressed to give Progress a chance. It sounds perfect for you.
Noted. Thanks, man.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

we need to calm down and wait what the future holds
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
supersonic wrote:
Noted. Thanks, man.
You should definitely give Progress a chance. That or Beyond Wrestling IMO.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

cgstong wrote:
You should definitely give Progress a chance. That or Beyond Wrestling IMO.
With recommendations like these I never worry about the status quo changing.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I could wrestle at those shit holes.

Not interested.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

SweetDaddy wrote:I could wrestle at those shit holes.

Not interested.

ok men.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Sinclair must be sick of ROH if this is true.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I wouldn't say that at all. Even the report says that there is no formal offer on the table, they are simply discussing the possibility. If anything, this will make Sinclair realize that ROH is an asset and that it should be viewed more as such.

Surprised rovert hasn't taken credit for this yet. I'm sure someway, somehow he knew about this months ago but didn't report it and instead made vague references to some big scoop that was going to drop and this was it.