PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

Post by famicommander »

JTCole wrote:
King of Indy Style wrote:Great news, if that ends up being true. WWE-fied ROH wouldn't get a single penny from me ever.
Eh, it'd be 50/50 on whether WWE would have made things better or worse. Depends who they'd have sent to run the place.

Imagine Gabe doing it again, ha.
There are a lot of things WWE could improve (production quality, distribution, visibility) but I don't see any way that the quality of the wrestling in the ring goes up if ROH falls under the WWE umbrella. WWE has never been about match quality. There is a ridiculously huge amount of amazing talent in that company right now and the best match they could give AJ Styles at the biggest wrestling show of the year is a middle aged son of the boss?

ROH doesn't always succeed, but the at least attempt to give us the best wrestling they possibly can. They're not going to stop the talent from using moves like piledrivers. They're not going to book stupid gimmick celebrity matches. They're not going to bury 90% of the roster to set up a match between aging part timers. They're not going to try to stop matches on PPVs because a wrestler has a small cut. They're not going to have stupid arbitrary brand splits. They're not going to give anybody a dancing gimmick or a ring name like Oney Lorcan.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

monster mafia wrote:I just dont know why roh dont wanna put all the history of the company in a streming service

copyright? idk ,cover the old themes with some instrumental music..something.
Yes, but they also have to remaster all the footage. So the steps they'd need to take include transferring all the footage from every event they ever did to a digital format, remaster it and then edit out every single piece of music from every single persons entrance from every single event Ring of Honor ever did and then find a server that can hold all this footage that would be reliable and wouldn't crash.

It's one thing for PROGRESS or ICW with their 50 or so events to do it, but when you've had a few hundred episodes of television couple with hundreds of events, it becomes a lot more difficult, especially in a company where I know some people who work there and they do multiple jobs, especially on the production end. They'd need to make separate hires to start this. Maybe they have started it, in fact.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
monster mafia wrote:I just dont know why roh dont wanna put all the history of the company in a streming service

copyright? idk ,cover the old themes with some instrumental music..something.
Yes, but they also have to remaster all the footage. So the steps they'd need to take include transferring all the footage from every event they ever did to a digital format, remaster it and then edit out every single piece of music from every single persons entrance from every single event Ring of Honor ever did and then find a server that can hold all this footage that would be reliable and wouldn't crash.

It's one thing for PROGRESS or ICW with their 50 or so events to do it, but when you've had a few hundred episodes of television couple with hundreds of events, it becomes a lot more difficult, especially in a company where I know some people who work there and they do multiple jobs, especially on the production end. They'd need to make separate hires to start this. Maybe they have started it, in fact.
Man that sounds tedious for one. But Danielson without The Final Countdown upon ring entrance in early ROH seems kind of like watching Reservoir Dogs that's been edited for television. Its kind of, you know, missing something.

In all seriousness, if they can edit out some of Gabe's woman like shrills on play by play I would be fine with that.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Mojo...you are on a good run today..funny stuff.....Mason Ryan references, Gabe's woman like shrills....lmao...good shit my man...

That does seem like a mountain to climb. Im not sure Danielson would have the same effect for me without Final Countdown...

Fantasy world....could you imagine Hammerstein during Final Battle in 2018 when whomever the Champion is at that point challenges anyone to come out of the locker to face him and the Final Countdown music cues up, and out comes the American Dragon....

That would literally blow the roof off the joint.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Brada wrote:Mojo...you are on a good run today..funny stuff.....Mason Ryan references, Gabe's woman like shrills....lmao...good shit my man...

That does seem like a mountain to climb. Im not sure Danielson would have the same effect for me without Final Countdown...

Fantasy world....could you imagine Hammerstein during Final Battle in 2018 when whomever the Champion is at that point challenges anyone to come out of the locker to face him and the Final Countdown music cues up, and out comes the American Dragon....

That would literally blow the roof off the joint.
Thanks man.

Yeah, Danielson showing up would not only blow the roof off the joint, but would probably set off seismic recorders as well.
DXvsNWO1994

Re: PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks since January

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

SweetDaddy wrote: I'd hate it if WWE did buy out ROH but the truth is NJPW owns Japan, AAA owns Mexico, and WWE owns the rest of the world.
CMLL would like to have a word with you, sir.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

With regards to this whole story, the only positive thing that would potentially come from WWE buying ROH would be that the entire ROH video library would FINALLY be available on a streaming service. If this were to happen, it certainly is a bad thing for the wrestling business (that goes without saying), but at the same time, I've been sort of....indifferent, when it comes to the end result. It would be disappointing to see ROH go away, but at the same time, I wouldn't be overly upset about it. If this were two years ago, I would definitely feel differently. I'm sure the fact that ROH has been going through rough times as of late (with regards to talent) has a lot to do with that. It certainly feels like ROH is in a situation where they're damned regardless of whether WWE buys them or not (If WWE buys ROH, the company shuts down. If they don't, ROH still has to deal with their young talent retention issues).
DXvsNWO1994

Re: PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks since January

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

supersonic wrote:I hope it happens so the NXT and ROH rosters merge as both lack depth of the past.

A roster with the Bucks, DIY, KENTA, Lethal, Briscoes, Strong, Cole, Scurll, Sombra, Hero, Dillinger all busting ass to get promoted to Raw and SmackDown? That's golden age ROH potential level shit.
Right now, I doubt that The Young Bucks go to WWE if ROH shuts down. I forget if it was The Young Bucks or Kenny Omega who said this, but I'm pretty sure they said that their goal is to make The Elite a brand in the next year (or two years). I'm not saying they won't end up in WWE at some point, but I think they won't go to WWE until Omega becomes a free agent again (I think they go in as a group).
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I don't know why but I can see Omega being the ROH world champ soon, I could well be totally missing what Omega is planning for his future, but I just have an idea he will be doing a long stint in America this year and I can see him being the head guy in ROH.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I am with you and will go a step further, not only do I think Omega is a future ROH champ, I think he is the next ROH champ.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Brada wrote:I am with you and will go a step further, not only do I think Omega is a future ROH champ, I think he is the next ROH champ.
It would be a smart move. Might add another element to the ROH/NJPW relationship by having Bullet Club take over ROH and start a promotional war with NJPW. Just a thought.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Brada wrote:I am with you and will go a step further, not only do I think Omega is a future ROH champ, I think he is the next ROH champ.
Yeah I get that feeling too, like I say I maybe way off the mark but it seems like there is a strong case to be made for it. I guess it depends on what NJPW has for him and where he wants his career and life going, I have no idea about his personal life but settling down might be becoming an option and America is and will the better option. The fact is if you have a year or so with him and the Bucks (there final length of their contract) in ROH you have a story and group ready made and honestly likely a lot of money to.

It also allows all a nice out together in America.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

If they all had the balls, I'd love to see Omega as ROH World Champ, IWGP Champ, and CMLL World Heavyweight Champ at the same time. Hell, RevPro too. Be the global face of the non-WWE wrestling world.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

Let me start by saying I want ROH to remain independent and not be bought by WWE.

With that said, I'm reading a lot of dislike of WWE. I've been a pro wrestling fan since 1983, with a few years off in the early 2000's and such. This is the best product I've seen WWE put out in a very, very long time. Might be the best I've seen, and I've watched WWE since back in 1984, I'm a current subscriber who watches the Raw & Smackdown replays on there, plus watch 205 Live, Talking Smack, and NXT every week. I watch the PPV's. It takes up a lot of time, but I'm so into the product I can't resist putting that time in. If you dislike WWE from the past but haven't watched much recently, I highly recommend you give it a shot.

I do not want WWE to buy ROH, but I do think the current WWE product is pretty damn good. I subscribe to Floslam, NJPW World, and even a Ringside Member. I have started watching LU on Netflix. I'd rank WWE right up there with any of them. So while I don't want them to buy ROH, I think if they did you could still have a quality ROH product.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

JTCole wrote: Eh, it'd be 50/50 on whether WWE would have made things better or worse. Depends who they'd have sent to run the place.

Bringing back the best booker this company has ever had, thus shoring up what is by far the weakest point in the promotion? Sounds like a good idea to me.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Court Bauer on the new MLW radio seems to view this as more a matter of when than if. Points out that Koff was telling him personally back when he worked with ROH that selling to WWE was a possible endgame. Apparently was a big part of passing on the FloSlam deal.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mlw ... vys5yCGArY

Starts at the 33 minute mark
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Why would they pass on FloSlam when WWE has involvement in FloSlam? :|

Which by the way, isn't why they passed on FloSlam. They passed because they market themselves as being a free, weekly promotion and they had already done a deal with FiteTV who air their show for free every week. They didn't want to provide content to an outside source who'd put it behind a paywall, even if said company was offering $2million in installments to do it.

I think ROH's decision among anyone else who turned them down was smart. I said this from the start, FloSlam won't take off until they can secure a promotion people will go out of their way to watch, and while Gabe may think his WWE feeder company has cracked that persona, they really, well and truly haven't. If it wasn't for the WWE rub, Gabe would be scouring nightclubs who'll let him hold EVOLVE shows after happy hours on Friday nights on a discount.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The Dragon Saga wrote:Why would they pass on FloSlam when WWE has involvement in FloSlam? :|

Which by the way, isn't why they passed on FloSlam. They passed because they market themselves as being a free, weekly promotion and they had already done a deal with FiteTV who air their show for free every week. They didn't want to provide content to an outside source who'd put it behind a paywall, even if said company was offering $2million in installments to do it.

I think ROH's decision among anyone else who turned them down was smart. I said this from the start, FloSlam won't take off until they can secure a promotion people will go out of their way to watch, and while Gabe may think his WWE feeder company has cracked that persona, they really, well and truly haven't. If it wasn't for the WWE rub, Gabe would be scouring nightclubs who'll let him hold EVOLVE shows after happy hours on Friday nights on a discount.
I had been under the impression that FloSlam's offer to ROH was for their house shows, not the weekly TV show.
Also, while yes, EVOLVE may run in nightclubs and not draw well, it completely baffles me as to why because they are by far the best promotion in the world, and they have basically everyone wrestling fans always say they want. I'd be quite interested to know how much EVOLVE's viewership has picked up because of the FloSlam deal.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote:
JTCole wrote: Eh, it'd be 50/50 on whether WWE would have made things better or worse. Depends who they'd have sent to run the place.

Bringing back the best booker this company has ever had, thus shoring up what is by far the weakest point in the promotion? Sounds like a good idea to me.
Actually, I was just considering that if Gabe were still writing the book he would have fed this reportage into a really entertaining storyline (read: an admittedly pretty nearsighted feint babyface promo leading into a heel turn).