PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Re: PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

Post by The Dragon Saga »

JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Uproxx claims that their sources indicate the deal talks have already fallen through.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

JTCole wrote:Uproxx claims that their sources indicate the deal talks have already fallen through.
We can only hope. Source?
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

famicommander wrote:
JTCole wrote:Uproxx claims that their sources indicate the deal talks have already fallen through.
We can only hope. Source?
http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/wwe-ring ... le-rumors/
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Alvarez wondering why WWE would shut down their "primary" source of new talent? Evolve, Beyond Wrestling, AAW, and more would take ROH's place easily.

Plus ROH hasn't provided a viable top wrestler in years, maybe Adam Cole but he's a CZW product. Oh and besides Steen.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

A wrestling fan not watching WWE is like a football fan not watching the NFL.

I stopped watching WWE because I was tired of seeing scrubs like Ambrose and Owens crammed down my throat not because I'm a WWE hater.

I switched to NJPW and ROH because it was something fresh and new but wrestling is a business and promotions come and go and if ROH does indeed go the wrestling world won't skip a beat and the wrestlers that ROH has that's worth a shit won't miss a paycheck.

The Beer City Bruisers and Will Ferrara's on the other hand...
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

How the fuck is Owens, and Ambrose for that matter, a scrub.

Opinions and all but seriously dude.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I'm a married man who works full time with two kids and I only do about a 30 minute workout every night and I'm in better shape than Kevin Owens.

I'm a trained wrestler by real professionals that you all know and even I know if you don't wear proper gear and take care of your body you will be looked down upon.

The fact that Owens even has a job surprises me.

The same things apply to Ambrose other than him being a fatass.

I totally don't buy the "I look like a heroin addict that's supposed to kick your ass" gimmick.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

are you jim cornette?
nickdiamante

Post by nickdiamante »

SweetDaddy wrote:I'm a married man who works full time with two kids and I only do about a 30 minute workout every night and I'm in better shape than Kevin Owens.

I'm a trained wrestler by real professionals that you all know and even I know if you don't wear proper gear and take care of your body you will be looked down upon.

The fact that Owens even has a job surprises me.

The same things apply to Ambrose other than him being a fatass.

I totally don't buy the "I look like a heroin addict that's supposed to kick your ass" gimmick.
LOL

Sorry, but that's pretty funny. Kevin Owens is a scrub?

First off, not everyone in Wrestling has a million dollar body. And it has always been that way. Plenty of "fat" guys in Wrestling. It's Pro Wrestling, not a body building competition. How do you explain Vader? Bam Bam Bigelow? Are these guys scrubs too?

Secondly man... Owens can wrestle. He puts on great matches. And he can talk.

And last... if you're a trained wrestler, then it must suck to know that you're getting less recognition than a scrub like Owens.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

UPDATE: Pwinsider reports that the story was making the rounds three weeks ago and that it was a topic of discussion at the ROH 15th Anniversary PPV. The site also adds that both companies have denied sale talks and that any sort of deal has been made. A WWE source notes that there have been off and on talks between the companies in recent months but those talks were surrounding the possibility of the WWE Network carrying the Ring of Honor TV show; these are said to be similar to the rumored deals that WWE offered PROGRESS Wrestling and Insane Championship Wrestling to broadcast their content on the WWE Network. If a deal goes through, ROH TV would air on the WWE Network

ROH COO Joe Koff has said in the past he would be open to the right deal where WWE would license ROH to air on the network. WWE has licensed RH material in the past for DVDs, and there has been talk of doing that for future DVDs; WWE will be releasing DVDs on Kevin Owens and Seth Rollins.
The big question is, does ROH remain truly independent if this happens. Would we be against NXT guys coming in and vice versa?
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I WAS a wrestler.

I'm not now.

And I'm also not the type to claim I'm even remotely on Owens' level or ever was but I do have enough sense to know to wear professional gear (Vader and BBB did) and to do a situp or a push up every now and then.
nickdiamante

Post by nickdiamante »

SweetDaddy wrote:I WAS a wrestler.

I'm not now.

And I'm also not the type to claim I'm even remotely on Owens' level or ever was but I do have enough sense to know to wear professional gear (Vader and BBB did) and to do a situp or a push up every now and then.
So you're saying that Kevin Owens doesn't exercise?
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

With his Dusty Rhodes gut it sure don't look like it.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Imagine physique fetishists bring anything but irrelevant background noise in an industry that's seen Yokozuna, Vader, Bigelow, Rikishi Fatu, Umaga, Kevin Steen, Mick Foley, and Dusty Rhodes get over.

The only pushed acts worthy of physique complaints are pip squeaks such as James Ellsworth and former WCW World Heavyweight Champion Vince Russo.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Meltzer:
Joe Koff had something sent to ROH talent to tell them that the discussions with WWE regarded licensing old footage from their library.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Why not just sell the entire back catalogue to WWE.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

JTCole wrote:Why not just sell the entire back catalogue to WWE.
Because if they're not selling the whole promotion, they'll want to retain the rights to the content. If Sinclair keeps ROH, you have to figure they're going to eventually have a real streaming service or app, or maybe partner with an existing one (Fight Network, NJPW World, etc). And if they decide to sell to somebody else, any new owner is going to want the back catalog.

The fact that WWE wants the video library shows that it's worth something. Whether Sinclair owns ROH or whether someone else buys it, that video library is important.

I hope it's true that this is just about licensing content, but this sort of feels like it could be trying to put the cat bag into the bag.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Bleeding Cool has a story here about the recent reports of WWE possibly buying Ring of Honor. ROH issued this statement regarding the reports:

"Sinclair's corporate policy is never to comment on speculative rumors and unsubstantiated stories."