PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Re: PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:Why would they pass on FloSlam when WWE has involvement in FloSlam? :|

Which by the way, isn't why they passed on FloSlam. They passed because they market themselves as being a free, weekly promotion and they had already done a deal with FiteTV who air their show for free every week. They didn't want to provide content to an outside source who'd put it behind a paywall, even if said company was offering $2million in installments to do it.

I think ROH's decision among anyone else who turned them down was smart. I said this from the start, FloSlam won't take off until they can secure a promotion people will go out of their way to watch, and while Gabe may think his WWE feeder company has cracked that persona, they really, well and truly haven't. If it wasn't for the WWE rub, Gabe would be scouring nightclubs who'll let him hold EVOLVE shows after happy hours on Friday nights on a discount.
I had been under the impression that FloSlam's offer to ROH was for their house shows, not the weekly TV show.
Also, while yes, EVOLVE may run in nightclubs and not draw well, it completely baffles me as to why because they are by far the best promotion in the world, and they have basically everyone wrestling fans always say they want. I'd be quite interested to know how much EVOLVE's viewership has picked up because of the FloSlam deal.
Really? All I see is the occasional great match, not really any great feuds, some very bad promo work and broken rings.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

BurningHammer wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:Why would they pass on FloSlam when WWE has involvement in FloSlam? :|

Which by the way, isn't why they passed on FloSlam. They passed because they market themselves as being a free, weekly promotion and they had already done a deal with FiteTV who air their show for free every week. They didn't want to provide content to an outside source who'd put it behind a paywall, even if said company was offering $2million in installments to do it.

I think ROH's decision among anyone else who turned them down was smart. I said this from the start, FloSlam won't take off until they can secure a promotion people will go out of their way to watch, and while Gabe may think his WWE feeder company has cracked that persona, they really, well and truly haven't. If it wasn't for the WWE rub, Gabe would be scouring nightclubs who'll let him hold EVOLVE shows after happy hours on Friday nights on a discount.
I had been under the impression that FloSlam's offer to ROH was for their house shows, not the weekly TV show.
Also, while yes, EVOLVE may run in nightclubs and not draw well, it completely baffles me as to why because they are by far the best promotion in the world, and they have basically everyone wrestling fans always say they want. I'd be quite interested to know how much EVOLVE's viewership has picked up because of the FloSlam deal.
Really? All I see is the occasional great match, not really any great feuds, some very bad promo work and broken rings.
Really? Because I see lots of great matches (they've admittedly dropped off a bit in the past eight months or so, but still more on average than most other promotions, especially by percentage of the show) personalities that are interesting and dynamic, storylines that leave you guessing without ever once relying on some sort of stupid, illogical swerve done just for the sake of shock value, booking that has created an environment where not only does it feel like anyone has a chance to win any match but where you know that an upset will actually matter (as opposed to, say, PWG, where anyone can win any match, but that's because they've made wins and losses almost totally irrelevant), shows that flow better than any other company in the world, and a booking philosophy that does all of this while managing to maintain an atmosphere of "this is a sport," so I almost never have to suspend any disbelief. And yeah. Some broken rings.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote:Really? Because I see lots of great matches (they've admittedly dropped off a bit in the past eight months or so, but still more on average than most other promotions, especially by percentage of the show) personalities that are interesting and dynamic, storylines that leave you guessing without ever once relying on some sort of stupid, illogical swerve done just for the sake of shock value, booking that has created an environment where not only does it feel like anyone has a chance to win any match but where you know that an upset will actually matter (as opposed to, say, PWG, where anyone can win any match, but that's because they've made wins and losses almost totally irrelevant), shows that flow better than any other company in the world, and a booking philosophy that does all of this while managing to maintain an atmosphere of "this is a sport," so I almost never have to suspend any disbelief. And yeah. Some broken rings.
Personally I don't see any other that, it's all just seemed the same story time after time revolving around the same people constantly, say apart from Ethan Page who has added something fresh and new although sticking him with Allan just seems a complete waste.

Just one thing didn't they just have Thatcher hold the title for over or close to a year, I don't see how that can cultivate a sense of an impending title change at any time. Also dynamic personalities?, I wouldn't call ACH, Sabre, Darby Allen, Matt Riddle, Gulck as dynamic characters, Evolve has a range of characters yes but dynamic can't see it.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Frankie Kazarian on WWE buying ROH rumors (courtesy of Fightful):
"I try to give very little thought to rumors, because the nature of the business. Being in TNA as long as I was, there were rumors of us shutting down and blowing up. I've literally heard it all. I can read something and don't let it affect me whatsoever. I could understand why WWE would want to acquire Ring Of Honor. It has an amazing library, its amazing roster, it's popular among hardcore wrestling fans, and they have a network they need to add content to. I'm also against monopolies, so I like that ROH is kicking ass on its own. There's plenty to go around,"
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Big Red Machine wrote:

I'm the total other end of the spectrum for you. EVOLVE for me is essentially Gabe presenting grapplefuck wrestling and every now and then he tries to appeal to the "casual" or "mainstream" viewer - which they have few of, but he knows that is what creates buzz - by the way he utilizes the guys with name value that he actually has. I in no way, shape or form think it's even in the league of say New Japan or even PROGRESS - and PROGRESS has taken a bit of a step back at that, but it's still better than EVOLVE. It shouldn't baffle you that their live events aren't well attended. Until WWE began their rub of EVOLVE as to pry guys away from places like ROH or TNA, which in fairness has worked to a degree, EVOLVE was just another run of the mill indie, only with a different in-ring style which most people disliked. The only good content I saw of EVOLVE's last year was Drew Galloway and Roderick Strong.

As for how its improved their viewership, no doubt it has, because FloSlam is a content host and provides multiple products and not just the one, but still, if you look at each websites analytics, ROHWrestling.com is killing FloSlam.tv - and that's one product, versus multiple.

https://www.similarweb.com/website/rohw ... m#overview

https://www.similarweb.com/website/floslam.tv#overview

Like I said, FloSlam needed one, big promotion that actually had an audience who could carry their website and gain them a good core of subscribers. If the money that they threw around is true then I can't imagine they've made even a quarter of it back yet, which is most likely why they've cooled a lot and there isn't much being heard from them. Had ROH agreed to work with them and took the investment I think that could have helped a lot, but that said, ROH didn't really need it either.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

To weigh in, I was never really into EVOLVE. It had a few guys I enjoyed like Hero, Galloway, ect but the product really wasn't all that entertaining for me. And when they gave the title to Thatcher my waning interest subsided even more. He is way too hot and cold in his matches to get a top title run, let alone a two year run. And the combination of joining up with WWE, and having talent I don't like watching whatsoever like ACH and Ethan Page, EVOLVE is a not even on my radar of promotions to watch. I much prefer PWG and AAW.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

King of Indy Style wrote:To weigh in, I was never really into EVOLVE. It had a few guys I enjoyed like Hero, Galloway, ect but the product really wasn't all that entertaining for me. And when they gave the title to Thatcher my waning interest subsided even more. He is way too hot and cold in his matches to get a top title run, let alone a two year run. And the combination of joining up with WWE, and having talent I don't like watching whatsoever like ACH and Ethan Page, EVOLVE is a not even on my radar of promotions to watch. I much prefer PWG and AAW.
Ironically I started watching more AAW because they showcase ACH more
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I dig Evolve but to say they're anywhere close to the level of quality of, say, NJPW or Lucha Underground is pretty far out there in my opinion.

I have NJPW as the best in the world right now, followed by LU. Everything else is a tier below at best, and I still like ROH, PWG, and CMLL better than Evolve.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

LU is super niche though.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

JTCole wrote:LU is super niche though.
Not more niche than Evolve.

Lucha Underground is on cable TV and Netflix.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

I'm the total other end of the spectrum for you. EVOLVE for me is essentially Gabe presenting grapplefuck wrestling and every now and then he tries to appeal to the "casual" or "mainstream" viewer - which they have few of, but he knows that is what creates buzz - by the way he utilizes the guys with name value that he actually has. I in no way, shape or form think it's even in the league of say New Japan or even PROGRESS - and PROGRESS has taken a bit of a step back at that, but it's still better than EVOLVE. It shouldn't baffle you that their live events aren't well attended. Until WWE began their rub of EVOLVE as to pry guys away from places like ROH or TNA, which in fairness has worked to a degree, EVOLVE was just another run of the mill indie, only with a different in-ring style which most people disliked. The only good content I saw of EVOLVE's last year was Drew Galloway and Roderick Strong.

As for how its improved their viewership, no doubt it has, because FloSlam is a content host and provides multiple products and not just the one, but still, if you look at each websites analytics, ROHWrestling.com is killing FloSlam.tv - and that's one product, versus multiple.

Like I said, FloSlam needed one, big promotion that actually had an audience who could carry their website and gain them a good core of subscribers. If the money that they threw around is true then I can't imagine they've made even a quarter of it back yet, which is most likely why they've cooled a lot and there isn't much being heard from them. Had ROH agreed to work with them and took the investment I think that could have helped a lot, but that said, ROH didn't really need it either.
Sigh. I think TDS makes some shockingly good points. Its also my observation that the Evolve/WWE relationship is smoke and mirrors at this point. No special appearances by WWE talent and hasn't been in awhile. Its like the WWE came in and cherry picked who they wanted and left. What's Gabe going to do, bitch about it?

King of Indy Style and I agree on two of the talents. ACH and Ethan Page. ACH just flips and can't do anything else. Page does nothing for me. Josh Alexander was the more talented guy in that tag team. If I was ACH, I would be shitting my pants because Lio Rush is better and younger.

I don't know man. Maybe its just me, but Gabe appears to be trying to hard to appeal to a niche fanbase. Dragon Gate USA fell apart. There's more to that than it seems. Has any Japanese talent come back since that thing fell apart?

The difference between Heyman and Gabe is, that Heyman is excellent on the mic and could streamline into another on-air gig after ECW folded. Gabe screams like a woman (his shrilling at CW Anderson at the One Year Anniversary was unbearable) and his lightning in a bottle moment very well could have been the ROH Golden Years. Heyman never again took the sole responsibility of booking to a degree like he had in ECW, because he was smart enough to walk away. His legacy is intact and he has been canonized as a result of it. Conversely, Gabe is not even close to approaching the shit he did in ROH. I felt like he was riding Thatcher to become his Bryan Danielson and that never materialized. Hero was already established and succeeding outside of Evolve as much as he was in it. ZSJ isn't going to be anything more than an interim champ. I just don't feel like Evolve is going to be anything more than it already is.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Lucha Underground itself is merely surviving at this point off their Netflix deal which isn't even available in more than two countries yet. They aren't pulling in ratings, you don't hear anyone talking about them anymore, they dropped quite a bit off what the first season was when it was awesome and had that edge to it and if rumors are true El Rey aren't as invested in it as they were because of the costs it took to make it to the standard they want it. That Netflix deal is the life and soul of LU right about now because it will make them more accessible to more eyes.

I don't have much else to say about EVOLVE. It's chugging along putting out their mini-documentaries and signing guys with the promise that Triple H and the boys will come down and have a serious look at you and I'll tell them how good you are if you just sign here and not work for Ring of Honor anymore and that's fine. But FloSlam or no FloSlam, WWE or no WWE, doesn't change the fact it's not going anywhere.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I think EVOLVE's relationship with WWE ended (or at least changed a lot) when WWN signed with Flo. WWE is just an little investor in the FloSports group, but have nothing to do with Flo Slam, that was confirmed by both sides a long ago.

And now, talking about EVOLVE, I really like their product. I wouldn't say is the best promotion in the World, but is my favourite along with ROH and NJPW. They have a style that it isn't everyones cup of tea, but that's what makes it special. It's a wrestling promotion for such a little market. Running shows in night clubs in front of 200-400 people isn't a bad thing.

But there's one thing I don't like. I love EVOLVE, I really like these 2:30 hours shows with just 5-6 long, slow-paced, matches. That's what EVOLVE is all about. But then, they do a show more "main stream" like EVOLVE 79, with shorter matches (everything between 8-15 min) and some "sports-entertaiment" angles like the one between Allin and Ethan, and Gabe Sapolsky said that is the best show in EVOLVE's history! C'mon Man! That's a low blow for all your die hard fans, you do a show under a different formula that a lot of people see and it becomes the greatest show ever?

Btw, I would recomend everyone to try a Flo Slam suscribtion. It's really worth the price and, by far, the best wrestling streaming servicie.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Christopher Daniels on WWE buying ROH (pastemagazine.com):
“I hear the rumors. I can’t imagine a scenario where purchasing Ring of Honor outright benefits Sinclair in the long run. My opinion is, Sinclair bought Ring of Honor for a specific purpose and with a long term plan. It’s more than just money in one set sum for them. There’s potential for them to make money for many years if they stick with it. This is just me as a wrestler who doesn’t make those decisions, or know the entirety of the facts, but I feel like a full-on purchase of ROH by WWE doesn’t necessarily benefit Sinclair as much as the current business plan for Ring of Honor does. I could see a possibility of maybe using our tape library to benefit the guys who have come through here who are now there, or if it’s a matter of co-promoting a show, or a partnership in the same way Evolve now has a partnership with them. But I can’t imagine a full on purchase. I don’t think I’m the last [ROH World Champion.]”
Big Red Machine

BurningHammer wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Really? Because I see lots of great matches (they've admittedly dropped off a bit in the past eight months or so, but still more on average than most other promotions, especially by percentage of the show) personalities that are interesting and dynamic, storylines that leave you guessing without ever once relying on some sort of stupid, illogical swerve done just for the sake of shock value, booking that has created an environment where not only does it feel like anyone has a chance to win any match but where you know that an upset will actually matter (as opposed to, say, PWG, where anyone can win any match, but that's because they've made wins and losses almost totally irrelevant), shows that flow better than any other company in the world, and a booking philosophy that does all of this while managing to maintain an atmosphere of "this is a sport," so I almost never have to suspend any disbelief. And yeah. Some broken rings.
Personally I don't see any other that, it's all just seemed the same story time after time revolving around the same people constantly, say apart from Ethan Page who has added something fresh and new although sticking him with Allan just seems a complete waste.

Just one thing didn't they just have Thatcher hold the title for over or close to a year, I don't see how that can cultivate a sense of an impending title change at any time. Also dynamic personalities?, I wouldn't call ACH, Sabre, Darby Allen, Matt Riddle, Gulck as dynamic characters, Evolve has a range of characters yes but dynamic can't see it.
The Ethan Page/Darby Allin thing is just a side-story to get over Page's vindictiveness, plus put Darby in some situations where he loses, which is what his character has needed to do. It's not amazing on it's own, but it is a good use of the resources at hand. It's not intended to be the sort of thing that really drives a promotion. They only did a real heavy-heat angle with it at the last set of shows.
I can kind of see your criticism about it being the same story over and over, but when that story is the quest for the title then I have no problem with it. I'd also say that the Galloway thing was quite different from what we usually see anywhere else, and the whole thing with Thatcher wanting to "reclaim" the title was also certainly different (although I think they could have done a much better job of explaining what was going on and generally not making Thatcher look like a little bitch by letting everyone run their mouth on him forever (it's only since his association with Stokely that I have come to understand what the idea behind that was, which is that Thatcher doesn't really care that much about people running their mouths because he knows that the only things that matter are what happens between the bells). I also think that Stokely's presence does a good job of filling in the gaps in Thatcher's character and illustrating what makes Thatcher different the millions of other "technical wrestler" guys we've seen over the years.
I actually think they did a very good job in the last year of Thatcher's reign of creating a situation where it felt like almost anyone could win the title from him. Maybe not so much Williams or Scurll (although Marty's title shot was more of a one-and-done than a feud and was really just a consequence of having Scurll beat Thatcher non-title at Mania weekend in order to get over the idea that Riddle had done a lot of damage to Thatcher's arm). I thought that they did a great job setting up Riddle, Gulak, Sami, Hero, and Page as guys who all felt like they could have been the one to beat Thatcher when their title shots came, and I think people would have felt that way about TJP, too, if not for him winning the CWC.

Evolve's characters are certainly dynamic. Maybe not in the "cut crazy promos" or "can do anything at any time" sense (though I think that at least Page and Galloway fit that description), but they are certainly dynamic because they can be shifted in just about any direction at any time with it still feeling completely in-character. Take the Stokely-Thatcher pairing, for example. How many places could take the guy who was booked as the big babyface champion for over a year and pair him with an obnoxiously, clearly heel manager and both have the pairing feel like it makes total sense from both sides while also continuing to book the champion like he's a complete and total babyface?
Big Red Machine

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

It's interesting that you compare EVOLVE to New Japan because, to me, in terms of the booking, EVOLVE is doing right everything that New Japan is doing wrong (I'm not saying that New Japan is doing everything wrong, but there are a lot of things I don't like, mainly related to the booking of the fallout from their tournaments). EVOLVE is the place where wins and losses mean the most. They mean a lot in New Japan as well, but in New Japan it feels more like wins and losses are stressed for the purposes of protecting their top guys rather than in EVOLVE where it feels like wins and losses matter to the storylines. In New Japan guys will beat a champion in the G1 but never get their title shot, and that bugs the hell out of me. I've also hit the point where when someone beats Tanahashi in a tournament it doesn't feel like it matters because it is something that "had" to happen because they didn't want Tanahashi to win the tournament rather than a big step up for the guy who beat him.
I'm not saying that EVOLVE shows are well-attended, but I think that's partially by design. I remember Gabe saying somewhere that the guy who always pushed him to expand and run new markets was Cary and that Gabe was ultra-conservative when it came to that sort of thing If you take Cary out of the picture, then combine that with the success that a promotion like PWG has had by basically keeping costs as low as possible while putting on a good product, plus Sal's investment in streaming services, which he and Gabe both definitely seem to see as the future (and have for quite a while), I can almost see that being by design: They're happy to rent out a very cheap venue only sell 100-200 tickets because they think they still come out positive due to iPPV/VOD buys (or now due to the FloSlam deal).
The Dragon Saga wrote: As for how its improved their viewership, no doubt it has, because FloSlam is a content host and provides multiple products and not just the one, but still, if you look at each websites analytics, ROHWrestling.com is killing FloSlam.tv - and that's one product, versus multiple.

I can't disagree with any of this.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

AlexROH wrote:
Btw, I would recomend everyone to try a Flo Slam suscribtion. It's really worth the price and, by far, the best wrestling streaming servicie.
I'd suggest checking out Powerbomb.TVas I think their platform and user interface is much better than FloSlam given how much money FloSlam has.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
BrandenScott

Post by BrandenScott »

Floslam is good. I do the year because it gives you Flosports as well as a huge savings.

Highspots on demand is by far the best out there when it comes to present and past shows.

WWE Network is a must

Rev pro on demand is great for $8 a month

Progress On Demand is also great for $8 a month

Czwstudios is fun but most of it is already on highspots.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

WWE Network isn't worth it until they get 100% of ECW on there like they promised.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote:WWE Network isn't worth it until they get 100% of ECW on there like they promised.
I'm paying for it because it is a good deal relative to what I would otherwise have to pay for PPVs and it also means never having to buy another WWE DVD again, but the fact that after three years they still don't have things up that they promised from the beginning is kind of unforgivable.