PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

Post by famicommander »

I haven't even considered buying a WWE PPV in a long time. When I do watch them it's on the free trials of WWE Network or at somebody's house.

The last WWE PPV I ordered was the second One Night Stand.
The last TNA PPV I ordered was the one where Jeff Hardy showed up tripping balls for his title match with Sting.

AAA is also currently on my "do not buy" list after that Triplemania fiasco a few years back.

I only have so much to spend on wrasslin' in a given month. NJPW World is a must, as are the major ROH shows. Add that to an indie iPPV here and there and it adds up pretty quickly.

WWE is going to really have to blow me away with a few shows in a row for me to trust them enough to actually pay them again. This Wrestlemania was not even close to good in my opinion.

Or, again, just give me a complete ECW library and I'll pay them indefinitely. All the classic WWF and WCW stuff is just gravy after that as far as I'm concerned.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

I'm pretty sure WWE Network does have the entire ECW library. If not, pretty damn close. Hell, there are 73 shows on there from when it was Eastern Championship Wrestling. All the ECW syndicated, all the TNN shows, and every PPV.

If what they have there is not enough, you are just looking for an excuse to not buy.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They are still missing at least 2 of Hardcore TV and at least one of the international PPVs:
http://www.wwenetworknews.com/2016/10/0 ... ompletion/

The last time I checked they claimed they had the complete ECW library (March 2016) and they were missing almost 50 episodes of Hardcore TV.

Now it's a lot closer to a reasonable claim.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I loved ECW back in the day and will still watch some of it, but some of that shit has not aged well at all.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They had a higher batting average than WWF or WCW in my opinion, and for a time I loved all three. Of course not everything has aged well but that's true of any promotion. At least an enormous powerlifter and an 80 year old woman never gave birth to a hand.

I think I'll subscribe and jump into it, now that I see they're close to actually honoring their claim of having all of ECW.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote:They had a higher batting average than WWF or WCW in my opinion, and for a time I loved all three. Of course not everything has aged well but that's true of any promotion. At least an enormous powerlifter and an 80 year old woman never gave birth to a hand.
Yeah, man. I will give you that. I am actually not a big fan of the Attitude Era. Felt it was homogenized and a blatant rip off of ECW. Russo Era WCW was even worse. It was a bad fucking time in my life as a wrestling fan.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

At least back then when Raw sucked you could switch over to Nitro and vice versa. Then go to school and argue with your (obviously incorrect) friends over which was better.

Now we have a lot of wrestling shows on TV but none of them can go head to head with WWE. Everything is scattered through the week.
WOHBuckeye

Post by WOHBuckeye »

famicommander wrote:I haven't even considered buying a WWE PPV in a long time. When I do watch them it's on the free trials of WWE Network or at somebody's house.

The last WWE PPV I ordered was the second One Night Stand.
The last TNA PPV I ordered was the one where Jeff Hardy showed up tripping balls for his title match with Sting.

AAA is also currently on my "do not buy" list after that Triplemania fiasco a few years back.

I only have so much to spend on wrasslin' in a given month. NJPW World is a must, as are the major ROH shows. Add that to an indie iPPV here and there and it adds up pretty quickly.

WWE is going to really have to blow me away with a few shows in a row for me to trust them enough to actually pay them again. This Wrestlemania was not even close to good in my opinion.

Or, again, just give me a complete ECW library and I'll pay them indefinitely. All the classic WWF and WCW stuff is just gravy after that as far as I'm concerned.
This here. My brother has the Network, I don't, but he resubs if he's in the mood to watch old JCP, ECW or good stuff from WCW.
WOHBuckeye

Post by WOHBuckeye »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
famicommander wrote:They had a higher batting average than WWF or WCW in my opinion, and for a time I loved all three. Of course not everything has aged well but that's true of any promotion. At least an enormous powerlifter and an 80 year old woman never gave birth to a hand.
Yeah, man. I will give you that. I am actually not a big fan of the Attitude Era. Felt it was homogenized and a blatant rip off of ECW. Russo Era WCW was even worse. It was a bad fucking time in my life as a wrestling fan.
Younger fans see the Attitude Era as something it wasn't - which was Crash TV, 3 minute matches and Jerry Springer. I actually like the current product better now. Fact was they had three guys who could draw (Austin, Rock and later Foley), and that's what kept them in business. It was wrestling for people who don't like wrestling.

Thing is, the Attitude Era, whatever, was a marketing change to take on WCW in an arena they couldn't go, which was more adult. WCW messed up terribly not recognizing its audience at the time was different from WWFs. Twenty to 40 year olds watched WCW, teens and early 20 somethings watched WWF.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

The Attitude Era had the luxury of having Austin and Rock, two of the biggest money draws of all times.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

There was never going to be a sale.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

JTCole wrote:There was never going to be a sale.
I'm also of this mind, but just the fact that the discussions took place is a little unsettling. It's good to see the talks have come to a definitive end.

Now the next big thing will be the potential Sinclair/Tribune merger. If that goes through it could be a very good thing for ROH.
rovert

Post by rovert »

JTCole wrote:There was never going to be a sale.

If it was I would have talked it up more.