PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: PW Sheet: WWE/SBG talks to sell ROH (Meltzer confirms)

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote:Bleeding Cool has a story here about the recent reports of WWE possibly buying Ring of Honor. ROH issued this statement regarding the reports:

"Sinclair's corporate policy is never to comment on speculative rumors and unsubstantiated stories."
That doesn't inspire confidence.

If they're talking about a sale, they should just say so at this point.

If they're not seriously considering a sale, then Joe Koff should appear in the ring at Supercard of Honor to emphatically announce that ROH isn't being sold.

Either way, they need to address it. It's out there and it's not going to be good for morale or for fan support.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

famicommander wrote:
monster mafia wrote:Bleeding Cool has a story here about the recent reports of WWE possibly buying Ring of Honor. ROH issued this statement regarding the reports:

"Sinclair's corporate policy is never to comment on speculative rumors and unsubstantiated stories."

If they're not seriously considering a sale, then Joe Koff should appear in the ring at Supercard of Honor to emphatically announce that ROH isn't being sold.

Either way, they need to address it. It's out there and it's not going to be good for morale or for fan support.

Agreed with this. ROH/Sinclair either needs to come out and deny it, or come out and admit it's the truth. Not saying anything could lead to decreased morale, and possibly even rowdy, or even downright aggressive crowds. While the second one isn't as likely, I can still see a crowd like at SCOH getting pretty rough if they think/know that WWE is trying to get involved in one way or another.
Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer »

famicommander wrote:
JTCole wrote:If you think Sinclair would give one shit about fans making a fuss about this you're delusional.
If we make a big enough fuss the product will be of less value to WWE.

There is a reason Vince wants to buy it. If everybody that has been paying for ROH's product tells Vince we won't pay him, he may pass on buying it.

I hope Sinclair doesn't sell, but if they do I'd much rather see Bushiroad/NJPW buy. Hell, even Anthem or Viacom. Anybody but WWE.
He would make so much money on just the tape library. Vince could really care less if you support his product or not.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Shit, Vince doesn't give a fuck what the fans think. Otherwise, WrestleMania wouldn't be saddled with Styles vs. Shane and Reigns vs. Undertaker.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I was working under the idea that they were going to keep the product going in some way, as the original report says they want ROH TV to air on WWE Network.

If they're really just trying to buy the video library and shut it down, then of course they don't care what we think.

But if they want to use ROH as another feeder system/continuing source of WWE Network content, it makes sense that they'd want to appease the people already paying for ROH's product. ROH is actually profitable, even if it's not profitable enough for a media giant like Sinclair to really care all that much. NXT loses tons of money from what I've seen; it makes sense that they may want a revenue-positive development territory. They've got more bodies on the NXT touring roster and at the Performance Center than they can get on the air with just NXT and the other WWE shows.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

until a full sale has been finalised I would say that it is more likely the WWE would be looking to buy the video library than the whole promotion, considering the amount of footage they would have access to for so many talents they now have it would be stupid of them not to.

If your ROH you really should be looking to make the most of what the WWE audience now has in front of them also.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

BurningHammer wrote:full sale
I see what you did there...
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

famicommander wrote:

I wouldn't have Koff do it. If Daniels defeats Castle - which he probably will now as his win received such a positive response - then afterwards he should cut a promo talking about how ROH is different from everyone else and how despite what some "rumors" might be floating around, it plans to stay that way for a long time to come. Or something along those lines.

Essentially, it shouldn't be Koff. It should be Daniels, Jay Lethal or even The Bucks.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
I wouldn't have Koff do it. If Daniels defeats Castle - which he probably will now as his win received such a positive response - then afterwards he should cut a promo talking about how ROH is different from everyone else and how despite what some "rumors" might be floating around, it plans to stay that way for a long time to come. Or something along those lines.

Essentially, it shouldn't be Koff. It should be Daniels, Jay Lethal or even The Bucks.
I am going to just say it. I agree with The Dragon Saga 100%. Koff might incite a plethora of boos from the smart marks. I would go with either Daniels, the current face of the company, or The Young Bucks, the most over act in the company. Now that I have agreed with TDS on something, the stars must be aligned just right, and I need to get a lottery ticket.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Chuck Carroll at CBS Local Sports is reporting that a high ranking official in SBG is stating, “there is no story here.” with corroboration from another source.

It falls in line with what Joe Koff had said to Carroll earlier in the month during an interview with this quote, “No. No, no, no…. It’s very flattering and humbling to us. It validates what we’ve done. A lot of their current performers and stars are ROH guys and we have their history. So maybe the content of the backstories of Kevin Steen before he became Kevin Owens or AJ Styles’ run in Ring of Honor, Tyler Black (aka Seth Rollins), Claudio (Castagnoli aka Cesaro) … all of the guys who have wrestled for us. We have their backstory and where it began… That’s our content.”

It was also said that the two sides are open to continuing a professional relationship that is mutually beneficial. Koff also said the idea of WWE purchasing the ROH library is highly unlikely, “I’m always open to any conversation… We do business with them if they want to do a DVD or VOD if they need footage from early matches they do come to us. We are open to work with them on that basis because it doesn’t hurt us. It actually helps us.”
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

That sounds like good news.

Now I can stop the existential dread and resume whining about their website and video player.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Great news, if that ends up being true. WWE-fied ROH wouldn't get a single penny from me ever.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Yeah I wouldn't exactly count on it being "true" 100%
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Also I encourage you all to read the new article onsite about how ROH works within the SBG corporate structure. Great write up by our new columnist Lavie. I don't really see him joining the forum given his job but I will try to convince him so that we can discuss his articles in the Articles section of the forum. But I think it gives a good condensed version as to what SBG spends money on and how.

https://goo.gl/87f9jL
or Fb.com/ROHworld
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

That's an incredibly insightful read. Very easy to follow breakdown.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

I just dont know why roh dont wanna put all the history of the company in a streming service

copyright? idk ,cover the old themes with some instrumental music..something.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

SweetDaddy wrote:With his Dusty Rhodes gut it sure don't look like it.
Not a fan of Chris Hero's look for the past couple of years are you, guy?
WOHBuckeye

Post by WOHBuckeye »

monster mafia wrote:I just dont know why roh dont wanna put all the history of the company in a streming service

copyright? idk ,cover the old themes with some instrumental music..something.
Hi guys, new member, I've just recently got back into wrestling after years away, and I wanted to respond to this.

Their history is available - on DVD. WWE's DVD sales collapsed after the Network launched. Doing the numbers, I imagine building a network, whatever amount of subs they could get for a full-on streaming service with the entire history, deleting copyrighted music (which was used through most of the company's existence), versus what they sell on DVD, it's a better option when it comes to profit.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm glad I don't have to keep waiting on ROH or another party to make the library available for me.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

King of Indy Style wrote:Great news, if that ends up being true. WWE-fied ROH wouldn't get a single penny from me ever.
Eh, it'd be 50/50 on whether WWE would have made things better or worse. Depends who they'd have sent to run the place.

Imagine Gabe doing it again, ha.