Punisher Martinez Interview

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Punisher Martinez Interview

Post by AlexROH »

I interviewed this week for my website (solowrestling.com) Punisher Martinez. He's such a nice guy. He didn't talk a lot, but tell us interesting things about his first days in professional wrestling. I asked him about the Corino/Whitemer/Sullivan stuff, but he said that he can't or shouldn't talk about that.

1. You are two meters tall and weight 114 kilograms; however, you are very agile. Your over the post dives, for example, are awesome, how would you describe your in-ring style? Why did you decide to include high-flying moves to your moveset?

I don't think I can describe my in ring style as just one style. That would be limiting to what I can do. I like to think that I have a mix of styles.

2. According to ROH, you have a background in martial arts. Before the pro wrestling, you did Go Ju Ryu, Full Contact and trained with All American Amateur wrestlers and UFC fighters, what influence do Martial Arts have in your style? Why did you decide to change it for the pro-wrestling? How was the transition?

Before I wrestled I did practice martial arts. I loved it but I always wanted to compete in a pro wrestling ring. When I decided to make the change it was an easy transition. I was already used to hard hitting combat so naturally I picked it up quickly. Now when I can can I still train with mma and amateur wrestlers.

3. In the professional wrestling world, who would you consider your bigger inspiration? Who has helped you more to grow as a wrestler?

Biggest inspiration in wrestling was/is The Undertaker. As far as who has helped me grow there are too many people to name. Everyone that I surround myself with has helped.

4. Your in-ring character is Punisher Martinez, a dark and dangerous giant, why did you choose this gimmick? Would you like to compete all your career as Punisher Martinez? If not, what type of character would you like to perform?

Punisher or Punishment is not a character. It's what I've been called since I can remember. I earned the name. I'm into the dark, strange things. Always been fond of skulls and horror stuff. No gimmick. It's who I am. I can only picture being me.

5. You started in the pro-wrestling back in 2012. Your first days, like many other ROH wrestlers, were at the legendary Moster Factory. A lot of experts say that is like a mini performance center. Legends like Big Show or King Kong Bundy wrestled there, how would you describe your experience in the Monster Factory?

I first started wrestling at the monster factory in 2004. Couldn't have asked for a better place to train. Now I'm one of the coaches there.

6. In the Factory, you were heavyweight champion and tag team champ with one of the best independent wrestlers in the world, Matt Riddle. He, like you, started in the MMA world, what do you think about his progression? Would you like to work with him again in EVOLVE?

Aside from being The MFPW (Monster Factory) heavyweight champion, I was tag team champion with QT Marshall. He was signed at one time to roh and is also a coach there. Matt Riddle, who we trained at the factory, and I held tag team titles at other indys. The only other person with a progression similar to his would be Kurt Angle. He's a freak. Proud of him. We still work together from time to time. Anywhere we work is a pleasure.

7. From the Factory, you went to the ROH Dojo, why did you decide to go to ROH? Did anybody recommend it to you?

Expanding my training to the ROH Dojo was simply to be better. I'm never satisfied. Never content. I just wanted to keep pushing myself.

8. You impressed ROH officials and earned a spot in the Top Prospect Tournemet 2016. You lost in the semifinal against Lio Rush, in one of the better matches in the tournament. However, you still got a contract, how did you feel when ROH decided to hired you?

When you work as hard as you can to achieve a goal and actually achieve it, there's no better feeling. But like I said, never content. That's just one of many goals.

9. Was wrestling for ROH a dream for you? Or do you see this as another stage of your career?

Roh is a place I always wanted to compete in. It's where the best wrestlers are. It's where I want to be.

10. Today, are you still working by appearance or do you have a full-time contract with ROH?

.I've been full time since September.

13. Now, in 2017, you have the opportunity to shine as a singles wrestler. With the departures of Donovan Dijak, Moose and Keith Lee you have become the only agile big guy in the company, do you think this is a big opportunity to shine and earn a name in ROH? Will we be able to see you perform in a PPV this year?

Regardless of who's there or not my plan is to always shine. Everyday I I tell myself to be better than yesterday. You'll definitely see me on PPV

14. One of the biggest companies in the world, New Japan Pro Wrestling, has confirmed your participation in the Honor Rising 2017 tour. You will travel to Japan and wrestle in the legendary Korakuen Hall, what are your thoughts going into Honor Rising?

Couldn't be more honored.

17. Your role during the tour will be very important. You’ll team with Los Ingobernables de Japón and you’ll fight for the NEVER title in one of the most important matches of the whole tour, did you expected to be such an important part of Honor Rising? How did you feel when they told you so?

I have to believe that I'm going to be important in whatever I'm involved in. Feel like I'm where I should be but also feel grateful.

18. You’ll fight Hirooki Goto, a veteran wrestler from New Japan with a large record of victories over the years, what are your thoughts about Goto?

Goto is a warrior. Nothing but respect for him. Looking forward to our battle.

19. Aside from Goto, which other New Japan wrestler would you like to face?

I want to be tested against the best. Okada. He's the best.

20. Looking now to the future, what would you say is, right now, your main goal in professional wrestling?

Right now my main goal is to work my way to the top of ROH.

22. One last question, what can them, the Punisher Martinez fans, expect from you in this 2017?

Expect me to introduce a whole new level of anarchy into ROH.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Re: Punisher Martinez Interview

Post by cgstong »

Thanks for posting this
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
marcgeo13

Re: Punisher Martinez Interview

Post by marcgeo13 »

The guy has a chance to be a main event player in the future