Should ROH consider trying a major Shelley push?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Should ROH consider trying a major Shelley push?

Post by supersonic »

With so much talent uncertainty and limited fresh difference-makers even currently under contract, this question kept coming through my head.

I'm aware that Shelley doesn't have the buzz of his tenures in Generation Next, the Embassy, initial MCMG, and Time Splitters since officially signing an ROH contract and departing NJPW. I'm aware that his workrate hasn't been as impressive overall, he's been constantly injured, and there hasn't been a promo out of his mouth that has come close to his Manhattan Mayhem masterpiece.

However, one can look at Samoa Joe. His peak looked to be long gone as the 2000s came to a close, due to injuries, apparent ennui, and lousy bookers. But in the past 2 years, his stock has risen to previously unseen levels, becoming one of the cornerstones of a WWE brand, finally debuting on Raw, and being in a substantial position in the process.

Would Shelley be worthy of an attempt to revitalize his brand and finally capitalize on the potential he showed throughout the 2000s that drew comparisons to Chris Jericho? Can he still find the vicious mean streak and display it in his ring work, and even more importantly, at a top level on the microphone?

I'd imagine before Shelly would ever go into such a direction, that MCMG will first have a Tag Titles reign. They're the last name team remaining on the roster not to have their names in the lineage yet.

Simply put, can the man that once claimed to have talent on loan from God find it again, or has the loan forever been closed out? If he can find out, would he best positioned as the master heel that he once promised to be, or as a chippy babyface that he's been capable of in smaller doses in the past?
Memphis Mark

Re: Should ROH consider trying a major Shelley push?

Post by Memphis Mark »

Shelly would be a great ROH champion . He knows how work and get new guys over. However as you pointed out his major is staying healthy .
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I don't want to see that, personally. Shelley is good, yeah, but not ROH World title good. And I just can't see a buzz for a Shelley title reign. Tag Titles? Of course. TV Title? Yeah, I think that would be good too. But no to the World Title.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I prefer what he's currently got going on with being the head coach type of his group. Wrestling when need be and mentoring/coaching from the side. I wouldn't mind a MCMG tag title run (thought they should have won Ladder War). If you consider what Daniels is getting right now a major push then I'd be on board for that with Shelley.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Fuck what a question. My heart says yes, my head says no. Shelley has just too many miles on him now. Which sucks because the post by Memphis Mark echoes my thoughts. He would be ideal for the promotion in a number of ways he alluded to. Not worried about his spot and getting guys over. If nothing else, he would be great in the heel role of a cocky prick as champion, but staying healthy is the major barrier here.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

No.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

No. Shelley isn't world championship material, IMO. I would to see him as tag champ, but not as world champ.

Btw, Joe is in good shape, but he isn't in "unseen levels". He isn't as great as he was in his ROH or TNA peak.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Joe's star power has never been greater. Three years ago, the idea he'd amount to anything ever again, even with Punk going out in flames and Danielson taking over, would've been laughable.

I see similar with Shelley.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Absolutely. ROH needs to make some new top guys, and needs to do things that don't feel like we've seen them a million times before. This would certainly qualify.
Brada

Post by Brada »

It would be cool to give Shelley a run, I think timing would be important though. Don't attempt it at the same time they are trying this Daniels bit. It would lose some originality then IMO.