New commentary speculation thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

New commentary speculation thread

Post by famicommander »

In rapid succession ROH has lost Nigel McGuinness, Steve Corino, and now Kevin Kelly.

It begs the question, who is going to be the play by play and who will be the color?

Ian Riccaboni?

Who's out there right now that would be available?
Mike Tenay?
Joey Styles?
Tony Shiavone?

I assume Jim Ross and Josh Barnett aren't available.
King of Indy Style

Re: New commentary speculation thread

Post by King of Indy Style »

Even if JR WAS available I'd stay away from him. He does commentary for NJPW on AXS and he still shills the hell out of WWE.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

If they could get Joey that would be ideal.
I like Joe Dombrowski a lot, and in the very little I have heard of him in Beyond, Sugar Dunkerton is an outstanding commentator.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

What's Joel Gertner doing? I'd prefer him as a manager but I just need some Gertner in my wrestling world.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I would really like one crack at that gig.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote:What's Joel Gertner doing? I'd prefer him as a manager but I just need some Gertner in my wrestling world.
I know how you feel. At least once a year I spend a solid hour watching Gertner promos.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Good ol' JR.

He'd take it in a second.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Alex Riley and the guy who hates Tom Phillips
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

Big Red Machine wrote:If they could get Joey that would be ideal.
I like Joe Dombrowski a lot, and in the very little I have heard of him in Beyond, Sugar Dunkerton is an outstanding commentator.

I agree 100% on Suge D. he knows his stuff and is really entertaining.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Yeah, Joe Dombrowski was OK.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

How about a legend from the golden era of ROH for the color job?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

dhads7161 wrote:How about a legend from the golden era of ROH for the color job?
Who's seriously available?

I have nothing against Joey Styles for the remarks he made a couple months ago. If he wants to do it, bring in Styles as play-by-play for PPV's and TV tapings, let Riccaboni do house shows. Color can rotate, but there needs to be a solid PBP guy at televised events, whether KK is staying or going is yet to be determined, but if he's on the out totally, Styles would be my first choice.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
dhads7161 wrote:How about a legend from the golden era of ROH for the color job?
Who's seriously available?

I have nothing against Joey Styles for the remarks he made a couple months ago. If he wants to do it, bring in Styles as play-by-play for PPV's and TV tapings, let Riccaboni do house shows. Color can rotate, but there needs to be a solid PBP guy at televised events, whether KK is staying or going is yet to be determined, but if he's on the out totally, Styles would be my first choice.
Shit, go grab Raven to do color.
rovert

Post by rovert »

Ian Riccaboni and Silas Young announced at tapings last night.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I don't give two fucks what people think. I am totally fine with Riccaboni. He has a greater grasp of wrestling terminology than Kelly.

Nigel has been fucking adrift for months on commentary and mailing it in. Particularly the Corino/Sullivan/Whitmer mess. He needed to leave for the sake of killing anything reticent of the guy who used to be quite good in the role when he first got it.

Corino was fucking awful. I think Silas will be an improvement even if its for one show.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I don't give two fucks what people think. I am totally fine with Riccaboni. He has a greater grasp of wrestling terminology than Kelly.

Nigel has been fucking adrift for months on commentary and mailing it in. Particularly the Corino/Sullivan/Whitmer mess. He needed to leave for the sake of killing anything reticent of the guy who used to be quite good in the role when he first got it.

Corino was fucking awful. I think Silas will be an improvement even if its for one show.

I agree about Corino , he was terrible behind the mic. Corino should have been a heel manager. Nigel was worse than Corino. No loss. Kevin Kelly was functional , but he is very bland. I would give the Ian kid a shot , it is not like Lance Russell or Frank Bonnema are walking thur the door.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I'M fine with Ian on PBP but he eventually needs a regular second to gel with.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Riccaboni and Silas again tonight.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

I don't hate Kelly like most here, but I do think now is the time for ROH to turn to a new direction on announcing.

Look, ROH is obviously in a transitioning phase in 2017. A lot of talent leaving, Kelly quiting his office job. Nigel & Corino leaving the announce team

Now is a chance to really start something fresh. They will absolutely need to bring in some new talent in the ring. I like Riccaboni on the mike. I say retire BJ and put him as color. They have made a good team in the past on WOH, and are both already in house so you are not hiring somebody new.

OR if you want to make a statement to indy wrestling, put some money into Lenny Leonard's hands. The voice of Evolve suddenly being the voice of Honor would be a nice gotcha. I know it won't happen, but a Leonard & Riccaboni booth would be good for me.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

They need a full time color guy.

Whitmer seems ideal.