New commentary speculation thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Brada

Re: New commentary speculation thread

Post by Brada »

agreed. BJ would be good at it. Unfortunately, it won't be him.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I, too, would like to see Whitmer in the role as often as possible, although his current gimmick makes it... difficult... for him to do commentary like a normal person would.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Yup, it won't be Whitmer. I too wouldn't say no to Riccaboni, and for what it's worth, while watching the recaps from SA and Dallas, I actually quite liked him. He's a fresh look at the very least and we haven't been to exposed to him to know what is knowledge of wrestling is like, hopefully it's as good as his baseball knowledge.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
An interesting name at the Performance Center and NXT this past week was Sonjay Dutt. He both handled some training and also helped produce some of the NXT live events. ROH in December had talked with Dutt, including about doing commentary in the Steve Corino spot. Jeff Jarrett had talked with Dutt about helping with creative in TNA
The situation with the announcing crew is really up in the air. On the last tapings, they did revolving color guys working with Kevin Kelly. This past week, a situation arose with Kelly. Kelly had a full-time office job with ROH, and it was described to me as almost a 24/7 high stress position. This week he was scheduled to spend a week in Japan for New Japan, since he was doing both the 2/5 show in Sapporo and the 2/11 show in Osaka, and it made no sense given the time of the trip and cost to go home in between. Both he and Don Callis, his new partner, were booked there for the week. ROH essentially gave him the choice of going to Japan for the week and giving up his job, or not going. So he went to Japan and is no longer working full-time. However, he may still do the television, and ROH officials have said they expect him to still work on camera for the company
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

There's precedent for people returning from outlandish positions to eventually become the color commentator, namely Steve Corino after he tried to end the company in SCUM.

I think Ian and BJ make a good enough team and it is a fresh enough look. I saw one review of Silas - anyone else catch the Texas shows yet?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

I read good things about silas and ian riccaboni from this past weekend shows.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Given the choice of losing his job or not going. How pathetic on the part of ROH. I could see if he was skipping out to go work at NXT or some WWN Live tour but for a company that's supposed to be a partner? Ridiculous. If NJPW catches word of this I don't see it lasting much longer.
I do think they need to start grooming Riccobani but why wouldn't they want Kelly too? Always helps to have an alternate if for some reason one can't make a booking.
BrandenScott

Post by BrandenScott »

Good for Kevin on calling there bluff. ROH needs Kevin Kelly more than Kevin needs them at this point. Dick move by ROH. Oh and for people who have said Delirious isn't doing favors for his gf Mandy Look at the autograph lineup for Pittsburgh. Mandy Leon doesn't even have an advertised match and she is there charging $20 for an autograph. I anticipate her line to be empty considering $20 can get you a meet and greet with Cody, Marti, or the Briscoes. I hate to say it but ROH is turning into TNA
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

BrandenScott wrote:Good for Kevin on calling there bluff. ROH needs Kevin Kelly more than Kevin needs them at this point. Dick move by ROH. Oh and for people who have said Delirious isn't doing favors for his gf Mandy Look at the autograph lineup for Pittsburgh. Mandy Leon doesn't even have an advertised match and she is there charging $20 for an autograph. I anticipate her line to be empty considering $20 can get you a meet and greet with Cody, Marti, or the Briscoes. I hate to say it but ROH is turning into TNA
Delirious has way too much power in ROH right now.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

BrandenScott wrote:Mandy Leon doesn't even have an advertised match and she is there charging $20 for an autograph. I anticipate her line to be empty considering $20 can get you a meet and greet with Cody, Marti, or the Briscoes.
Pshaw! Don't underestimate the stupidity of the masses.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

Based on reviews of the announce team last week it looks like the departures of Nigel and Corino and Kelly going part time are a blessing.
BrandenScott

Post by BrandenScott »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
BrandenScott wrote:Mandy Leon doesn't even have an advertised match and she is there charging $20 for an autograph. I anticipate her line to be empty considering $20 can get you a meet and greet with Cody, Marti, or the Briscoes.
Pshaw! Don't underestimate the stupidity of the masses.

We will know where all the single guys will be
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Big Red Machine wrote:I, too, would like to see Whitmer in the role as often as possible, although his current gimmick makes it... difficult... for him to do commentary like a normal person would.
Spoiler: show
Actually they might do that. Martinez turned on Whitmer at the TV taping. so the gimmick might be dead. Hopefully.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Whitmer is the best in house option.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I would presume that BJ would remain the condescending heel in the color role. Anyone think differently?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Brada wrote:I would presume that BJ would remain the condescending heel in the color role. Anyone think differently?
I hope so. I like Whitmer on commentary. Aside from that, the Punishment Martinez turn on him was a dumb way to shoehorn him into the color role. Another dumb ass turn that makes no sense.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Agreed Mojo.
I think if they wanted to transition him into that role I think I would have just had him walk on Martinez, then have Martinez hold his own in the match to keep his "monster" moniker.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

HOw about they get Brada and that youngster next to him in his profile photo to call the action?
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

Not the way I would go, but would it be that hard to get Jim Ross in?
You have a known quantity. He's excellent at PBP, and has that nostalgia feel for the older ROH audience. It would give ROH a little bit more legitimacy to many out there. JUst have him call the TV and PPV with Whitmer, and have Riccaboni as his understudy on the house shows. Sign Ross for a year, maybe two, and then Ian is ready to go full time.

NOt necessarily what I would do, but if you are ROH this might make good business sense.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Amen brother.

Ross took NJPW to a different level the day he started.

BY GOD JAY BRISCOE'S BROKEN IN HALF!!!