Random ROH Classic Thoughts

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wavelet Transform

Re: Random ROH Classic Thoughts

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Threw in United We Stand, the Friday show before the Driven ppv. There's a Dragon/Nigel vs. Morishima/Marufuji tag on there. Figured the obvious outcome was dissension between Dragon/Nigel leads to the NOAH boys winning. Instead, Nigel/Dragon work together, culminating w/ Nigel (the lowest on the card of the participants) getting the first-ever pin on Morishima in ROH. Really awesome booking by Gabe and a huge moment to put on a b-show.

Level of effort also blew me away. The Dragon/Nigel tag is 25 minutes with lots of hard hitting, big spots, etc.... Briscoes at their 06/07 crazy best in a 2/3 falls match in the main event. Both of these happening 24 hours before a major ppv taping.

There's also a real hidden gem in Rocky Romero/Kenta.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah… 2007 has been sneaky good. I’ve recently watched Good times, Great Memories, Reborn again, and Respect is earned. Haven’t gotten to United we Stand yet, but Respect is earned had a similar main event.

Adding Kenta & Marifuji after losing Homicide, Daniels, Austin Aires, and Colt was a big move. Also added in Steen/Generico, Eddie Edwards, Rocky Romero. Nice recovery. Gabe’s booking was great. Briscoes feel like a main event draw tag team as well.

Just look at the character evolution of Jimmy Jacobs. There might not be any better evolution of a character in wrestling history. I’m not seeing anything close in any of the promotions.

Side note: I feel like for final battle, instead of the end of an era tag line. Maybe a throwback as good times great memories II would have been better. Daniels cut a killer anti-ROH fans promo, and Colt cut the keep supporting the company promo. Feel like Final Battle could do something similar, maybe planting some seeds if they do plan to return in April.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I have fond memories of 2007 shows. I know some fans think it's up and down, and it can be, but it's still a top-notch year from ROH. Faction warfare didn't pan out the way Gabe wanted and too many people left the promotion (Aries for months, Homicide, Joe, Cabana), but it was still great and it ended super strong too.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.