Random ROH Classic Thoughts

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: Random ROH Classic Thoughts

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:59 pm
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 pm
AlexROH wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:17 pm I've just finished 2003. Great year! Way better than 2002. Shows are more consistent now. In 2002, maybe, you had higher points, but the cards were mixed bags. In 2003, the shows were more solid. Great character work and use of the midcard. Main Event scene was awesome with Samoa F'n Joe and his awesome world title run. The only thing I didn't like too much was the booking of the tag team titles.

As everyone said, Homicide was the MVP of the year, fantastic job in every type of match or feud. London had a great run too and an emotional farewell (compare this to Adam Cole's """"farewell"""" in Philly lol). Xavier proved everybody wrong (myself included) with a great second half of the year. I really liked the use of 4 Corner Survival matches too. Punk-Raven was a great feud, but as I read before, after DBD everythings got worse. Awesome to see how many great matches ROH put without Bryan Danielson. Overall, I had an awesome time watching 2003 and I'm really looking foward to the second half of 2004 (I already watched stuff until Reborn: Completion some months ago).

Here's my top match list (everything I have over 4 stars):

1. [2/3 Falls] Paul London vs Bryan Danielson - Epic Encounter *****

2. Doug Williams vs Christopher Daniels - Night of the Champions ****1/2

3. AJ Styles vs Paul London - Night Of The Grudges ****1/4
4. [Dog Collar] CM Punk vs Raven - Death Before Dishonor ****1/4
5. [No Rope Barbed Wire] Steve Corino vs Homicide - War of the Wire ****1/4
6. AJ Styles vs Bryan Danielson - Main Event Spectacles ****1/4
7. AJ Styles vs Low Ki vs Paul London - One Year Anniversary ****1/4

8. Paul London vs Christopher Daniels - Round Robin Challenge II ****
9. Samoa Joe vs Christopher Daniels - Glory By Honor II ****
10. [No Holds Barred] Steve Corino vs Homicide - Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies ****
11. Jay Briscoe vs Samoa Joe - Tradition Continues ****
12. Xavier vs Paul London - One Year Anniversary ****
13. [Fight Without Honor] Trent Acid vs Homicide - Wrestle Rave ****

If you want to see every rating you can do it at my spreadsheet --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1089097335
London vs. Danielson at The Epic Encounter was about as fucking as perfect of a match as I had seen since Flair/Steamboat matches. Glad you liked it.
Totally agree. This match isn't just 5 stars, is one of the greatest 5 stars matches in the history of pro wrestling. Plus, the Williams-Daniels match is underated as fuck, people don't talk enought about that masterpiece.
Absolutely agree. After Danielson, Daniels is my favorite guy to watch from those first few years.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 am I haven't watched the Epic Encounter match in about a decade. Maybe it's time I go back and revisit it.

Also, no love for Walters vs. Xavier from Final Battle?
You should watch it again, it is still pretty awesome.

And yeah, like I said, I loved Xavier's work in the second half of the year. His feud with Walters was great. Loved their promos and tag/4 corner survival matches. I had their Fight Without Honor at ***3/4. It would be 4 stars if it wasn't for the botch in the last spot. I liked more the Shane-London No DQ match or the first Fight Without Honor with Ki and Joe. As I said before too, 2003 had tons of strongs shows with a lot of ***1/2 - ***3/4 matches.
I don't know if Xavier had some psychological issues while he was the champion because his feud with Walters is a hidden gem, particularly Final Battle 2003. It was like watching a different guy wrestle without the weight of being this unworthy champion on his shoulders.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Xavier was a great hand once he worked with London. Full list of his peak matches in my FYF NYC review, his ROH farewell.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

I'm sure it's been said a million times but it really is a shame that in the era of streaming services ROH doesn't have their entire history on theirs. It's like having a lottery ticket and refusing to cash it in.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

supersonic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:20 pm Xavier was a great hand once he worked with London. Full list of his peak matches in my FYF NYC review, his ROH farewell.
For sure. I can see why Gabe put the title on him. His matches with London were really good. The fans were fucking dying for London to take the title. Xavier was a victim of the smarks. I wouldn't even say he had the worst title reign, which seems to be the universal opinion if you ask people who have followed the product long enough.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

SteenMark23 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:37 pm I'm sure it's been said a million times but it really is a shame that in the era of streaming services ROH doesn't have their entire history on theirs. It's like having a lottery ticket and refusing to cash it in.
Oh, I can answer that. Koff and Delirious don't want to open Pandora's Box. With rare exceptions for Daniels or The Briscoes, the only acknowledgement of the past is in the intro... which prominently features your booker...who is the only guy in that who has never won a title in ROH.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Was there any reason why "Joe vs. Punk II" was labeled as such, despite being the third time the two faced each other?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

TYFDK wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:37 pm Was there any reason why "Joe vs. Punk II" was labeled as such, despite being the third time the two faced each other?

Because it was the Second match of the 2004 trilogy. I mean, they had the little non-tittle match at 2003, but this Joe vs Punk II was called like this bc it was the second match for the title and the rematch from the First 60 minutes time limit draw.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:48 pm
supersonic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:20 pm Xavier was a great hand once he worked with London. Full list of his peak matches in my FYF NYC review, his ROH farewell.
For sure. I can see why Gabe put the title on him. His matches with London were really good. The fans were fucking dying for London to take the title. Xavier was a victim of the smarks. I wouldn't even say he had the worst title reign, which seems to be the universal opinion if you ask people who have followed the product long enough.
He was victim of the smarks by design, though. That was Gabe's way of making sure people wouldn't cheer his heel champion. He put the belt on a guy who was a very good hand, but paled in comparison to the top heel in his stable and to the babyfaces he would be working with, so people would boo him and cheer the babyfaces.
ShaunSperling

Post by ShaunSperling »

Xavier was great in early ROH because he LOOKED like a wrestler, and he could have great matches. I liked some of his ny indy spots around the 2002/2003 time period too. I'll never forget a 450 he did to the outside through a table, it had young me rewinding the VHS a lot.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Just watched the shoot interview from Jimmy Jacobs' DVD compilation. Awesome stuff! If you could, go and buy that DVD. It's only 6,99$ and the 75-minute interview is great. Plus, it have every Lacey video, AOTF segments and his best matches from 03-09. One of the most underrated performers in ROH's history.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

AlexROH wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 am
TYFDK wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:37 pm Was there any reason why "Joe vs. Punk II" was labeled as such, despite being the third time the two faced each other?

Because it was the Second match of the 2004 trilogy. I mean, they had the little non-tittle match at 2003, but this Joe vs Punk II was called like this bc it was the second match for the title and the rematch from the First 60 minutes time limit draw.
That's fair. I just never knew they had 4 total, just always thought it was 3.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

TYFDK wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:10 am
AlexROH wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 am

That's fair. I just never knew they had 4 total, just always thought it was 3.
Yeah, me neither. I discoverd it this year doing my 2003 project. The faced at Bitter Friend, Stiffer Enemies. Just an average match. It's incredible to see what they were able to do in just one year time.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I'm watching Austin Aries DVD (the second one). One thing that ROH did better with this compilation is that they actually add some segments and post-matches that helped a lot. The first disc covers the Aries-Jacobs feud and man, that was f'n awesome! I read some things about it, but this exceeded my expectations. Pure intensity with a great back story. One of the best blood feud I've ever seen. In every match you feel the hatred between these two.

Aries vs Necro - Battle for Supremacy **3/4 (Great segment)
Aries vs Jacobs - Vendetta II ****1/2
Aries vs Necro vs Jacobs - DBD VI *** (Great segment again)
[Dog Collar] Aries vs Jacobs - Bound By Hate ****1/4 (loved the beginning with Jacobs refusing to put the dog collar around his neck)
Aries vs Jacobs - Rising Above 08 ****3/4 (wrestling wasn't as good as in Vendetta II, but this was all emotion. The storytelling here is perfect. First, with Jacobs destroying Aries, and after, with Lacey's comeback and Aries super comeback. Loved the last part with Aries refusing to put the mic on Jimmy's mouth and with the final crossface/spike spot. Brutal).
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:05 am I'm watching Austin Aries DVD (the second one). One thing that ROH did better with this compilation is that they actually add some segments and post-matches that helped a lot. The first disc covers the Aries-Jacobs feud and man, that was f'n awesome! I read some things about it, but this exceeded my expectations. Pure intensity with a great back story. One of the best blood feud I've ever seen. In every match you feel the hatred between these two.

Aries vs Necro - Battle for Supremacy **3/4 (Great segment)
Aries vs Jacobs - Vendetta II ****1/2
Aries vs Necro vs Jacobs - DBD VI *** (Great segment again)
[Dog Collar] Aries vs Jacobs - Bound By Hate ****1/4 (loved the beginning with Jacobs refusing to put the dog collar around his neck)
Aries vs Jacobs - Rising Above 08 ****3/4 (wrestling wasn't as good as in Vendetta II, but this was all emotion. The storytelling here is perfect. First, with Jacobs destroying Aries, and after, with Lacey's comeback and Aries super comeback. Loved the last part with Aries refusing to put the mic on Jimmy's mouth and with the final crossface/spike spot. Brutal).

I was at both those matches and it was fucking intense for both those matches. Great feud.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

I think Rich will start commenting in here. He basically just got a lot of past ROH events to go through
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

cgstong wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:18 am I think Rich will start commenting in here. He basically just got a lot of past ROH events to go through
Yeah! It was great to read newer fans like me reviewing old stuff from the Golden Days.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Unpopular opinion:

I was doing my usual rewatch before a big show and I really enjoyed Final Battle 2009's main event.

I know, Black's booking was bad, the crowd was chanting shit and they could have done something similar in 40-45 minutes, but if you take out the context and sees it just like a match, it's a really good one worth the FB ME spot.

First time watching it was like meh, but this time I realized that it told a great story. It's not like the best thing out there but possible in the **** - ****1/4 range for me.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Slightly off topic but, did you guys see Brock vs Daniel Bryan?

What a match! I swear I haven't seen Bryan look that good since his ROH days. His offense was incredible. A real throwback to the kind of stuff he used to do. I seriously didn't think we'd ever see Bryan return to form like that.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

great match...happy to finally see the old daniel bryan.

best lesnar match in years,