Random ROH Classic Thoughts

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Brada

Re: Random ROH Classic Thoughts

Post by Brada »

monster mafia wrote:
Punk doing Homicide was spot on. Great clip.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Brings to mind the entertaining match between Homicide and Kojima where the latter yells in perfect English at the ref, "I don't understand! I'm Japanese God damn it!" Funny shit.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Brings to mind the entertaining match between Homicide and Kojima where the latter yells in perfect English at the ref, "I don't understand! I'm Japanese God damn it!" Funny shit.
Which was even funnier because it happened after the ref was counting for a break in the corner... and in Japan they do those counts in English anyway.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Brings to mind the entertaining match between Homicide and Kojima where the latter yells in perfect English at the ref, "I don't understand! I'm Japanese God damn it!" Funny shit.

lmao, I really wish i could find that online somewhere.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I've finished my re-watch of Kevin Steen's Descent into Madness DVD. This has to be one of the best (if not the single best) compilations ROH have ever produced. It's a DVD about the Generico/Steen feud from Final Battle 09 to Final Battle 2010, is it possible to give this DVD less than a 10/10? I really enjoyed every second of it, and I would say this one is better than the Summer of Punk. Both are great feuds/storylines and gave us some of the best matches and segments ever, but the Fight Without Honor is too much.

Some ratings:

Wolves vs Steen/Generico (Tables Match) ****
Steen/Generico vs Young Bucks (Final Battle 2009) ***3/4

Steen/Corino vs Cabana/Generico (Chicago Street Fight) ****1/4, one of the best matches/moments in their feud.
Cabana vs Steen (34th Street Fight Last Man Standing) ***3/4
Steen vs Generico (DBD VIII) ****
Steen vs Tyler Black (Salvation) ****1/4
Steen/Corino vs Generico/Cabana (Chain match) ****
Steen vs Generico (Mask vs Career Fight Without Honor) *****
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I absolutely adore Descent into Madness. Any DVD that gives me my fill of great story and violent, bloody fighting is a0perfect DVD in my book.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Steen Generico did have some classics....definitely one of the top feuds in promotion history..
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well, I've just finished Christopher Daniels' The Fallen Angel DVD. I think it is a very good compilation that offers a great showcase for Daniels' work between 2002 and 2006. Watching this you can see how great of a wrestler, worker and storyteller he is in the ring. The match selection was great; being my only problem, as I said in other post, the lack of promos and segments from The Prophecy. We all know how important The Prophecy was in the first ROH's year; and it suck that they didn't put some stuff here.

My top 5 matches from the DVD would be:

vs Williams - Night of the Champions ****1/2 I never heard about this match and man IT WAS FANTASTIC, great great stuff, one of my favourites matches from ROH.
vs Ki vs Danielson - Era of Honor Begins ****1/2
vs Samoa Joe - Glory By Honor II ****+ Awesome 15 minutes match, that was intense!
vs Bryan Danielson - Round Robin Challenge ****
vs Paul London - Round Robin Challenge II ****

I highly recommend this compilations to every Christopher Daniels fan. It's a great DVD and, if you don't have these matches in other DVDs, I would recomend it for you too.

Final rating: 7,75 / 10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Next DVD I'll be watching --> KENTA Go 2 Sleep.

2. On the shelf:
- Samoa Joe: Total Domination
- From Love to Hate: The Jimmy Jacobs story
- Bryan Danielson: World Champion
- ROH Year Three
- Honor Goes Ultraviolent (VOD)
- Bryan Danielson Rise to Glory (VOD)
- Bryan Danielson American Dragon
- Bryan Danielson vs The World
- Kevin Steen: Ascension to the Top
- Joe vs Punk: The Trilogy

3. Next DVDs I'll be buying:
Homice The Notorious 187
I have to decide between these three, any recommendations?
- Rise of Generation Next
- Davey Richards American Wolve
- Die Hard: The Eddie Edwards Story

4. Already seen:
- ROH Japan's Finnests
- Claudio Castagnoli: The Swiss Sensation
- Nigel McGuinness: A Career Retrospective
- The Summer of Punk
- Kevin Steen Descent into Madness
- The Fallen Angel
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I highly recommend The Rise of Generation Next. Alex Shelley. Roderick Strong. Austin Aries. Jack Evans. I don't need to give you any more reasons.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Some of that Generation Next stuff was awesome, no doubt.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Thanks for the advices, I've just ordered both the Homicide and GenNext compilations. We'll see if this time ROH is as fast as they were during the big sale week. Would be really cool if the DVDs arrive on friday or monday.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Homicide had some memorable matches as well. His match with Corino was pretty good. I enjoyed the whole angle with Cabana as well.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I've being watching a lot of old stuff during the past month:

I watched the first disc of KENTA's Go2Sleep DVD. Awesome stuff, all his matches felt special. You can watch him wrestle 1000 times and you will never get tired of his hard style. A unique wrestler:

vs Low Ki - FB 05 ****3/4
& Marufuji vs Danielson & Joe - BitW ***1/2
vs Danielson vs Joe - In Yout Face **** I didn't like this match as much as other people. Was very good, but not a classic.
vs Austin Aries - Chi-Town Struggle ***3/4
vs Davey Richards - Fight of the Century ***3/4
vs Danielson - GBH V N2 ***** I loved this match the first time I saw it, now that I've watch all his previous stuff, how he was build like an unstoppale force, I like it even more.

Then, for the 15 Anniversary, I watched some old matches from the Anniversary show:

Xavier vs London - 1st Ann **** Xavier's best performance. Great WWE-esque match.
Aries vs Shiozaki - 6th Ann ****
Lethal vs Steen - 11th Ann ****1/4
Punk vs Styles - 2nd Ann ***1/2

Danielson vs Rave - 4th Ann **** I really liked Jimmy Rave here. His work was great, using Bryan's moves.
Joe vs Morishima - 5th Ann NYC ****

And also, like every week, I watched some random stuff:

Strong vs London - GHB XII ****1/4 Yeah, Paul's performance was amazing. He found his better version during the match.
Strong vs Jay Briscoe - Only The Strong Survive ****1/2 One of Jay's better matches, such an underrated match.
KENTA/Richards vs Aries/Strong ****1/4
Danielson vs Nigel - Driven 2007 ****3/4 My favourite match of their saga.
Strong/Aries vs The Briscoes - Unified ****3/4 Fantastic tag team match. I loved when Mark attacked Aries with the DDT on the ramp and then went to the ring and did the springboard Doomsday Device for the near-fall. Amazing!
Danielson vs Cabana - Chi-town Strugle ***3/4 Was expecting a little bit more from this.
Bucks vs Forever Hooligans - Manhattan Mayhem V ***1/2
Strong vs Danielson - This Means War ****1/4 I kindda liked the end of this match. It's worth 1/4* for me.
Strong vs Danielson - Vendetta ***** WAOH! This is the definition of intensity! These two wrestle for 47 minutes without a break. An all-time classic.
Steen vs Nigel - Nothern Navigation ****1/4

Now I'm watching Homicide's DVD, The Notorious 187. I've never seen Homicide's early matches, so I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Homicide vs Steve Corino - 1st Ann ***
Homicide vs CM Punk - RRC II ***1/4

Homicide vs Joe - Do or Die ***1/2 Really liked this one. But one thing I hated was the camera focusing on Low Ki and not on what was happening in the ring. The Super-Muscle Buster looked sick!
Homicide vs Corino - Bitter Friend, Stiffer Enemies **** They killed each other in this match. Intense brawl with a lot of blood. I don't see it as a classic, it felt a little long and they did too much nearfalls at the end, but still one of the better hardcore matches in ROH. What a Grudge match should be.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Check out Homicide vs. Trent Acid. Underrated and still holds up.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Check out Homicide vs. Trent Acid. Underrated and still holds up.
The Fight Without Honor from Wreste Rave or their re-match from Beatting the Odds?

Other match that I'll that isn't on this compilation is his third title match with Joe At Generation Next. I'm loving their matches!
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well, I saw both matches today. They were both very good and proved that Homice was one of the MVPs back in 2003. His hardcore stuff with Corino and Acid and his matches with Punk or Joe were all between good and awesome.

Great hardocore matches, but after watching the Corino-Homicide stuff the match with Acid didn't look as hardcore as Gabe Sapolsky was trying to sell on commentary. But hey, it's almost impossible to do something more hardcore than forks, barbed wire and all of that. However, i gotta say that Homicide's Ace Crusher from the tope rope to the table on ringside from Wrestle Rave was such an awesome spot. Love it!

If we talk about star ratings, I'll go with:

vs Trent Acid - Wrestle Rave 2003 **** (I would go ****1/4 if the had a better finish)
vs Trent Acid - Beating the Odds ***3/4 (Great stuff, loved the end with the big pop from the crowd)
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote:Well, I saw both matches today. They were both very good and proved that Homice was one of the MVPs back in 2003. His hardcore stuff with Corino and Acid and his matches with Punk or Joe were all between good and awesome.

Great hardocore matches, but after watching the Corino-Homicide stuff the match with Acid didn't look as hardcore as Gabe Sapolsky was trying to sell on commentary. But hey, it's almost impossible to do something more hardcore than forks, barbed wire and all of that. However, i gotta say that Homicide's Ace Crusher from the tope rope to the table on ringside from Wrestle Rave was such an awesome spot. Love it!

If we talk about star ratings, I'll go with:

vs Trent Acid - Wrestle Rave 2003 **** (I would go ****1/4 if the had a better finish)
vs Trent Acid - Beating the Odds ***3/4 (Great stuff, loved the end with the big pop from the crowd)
Yeah, I meant the Fight Without Honor. The feud with Corino was a lot more hardcore for sure, that's why I really liked how the feud with Acid was done differently. Homicide from 2003-2007 was fucking awesome. Glad you enjoyed it.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Woah, I've just re-watched the Nigel-Aries match from Supercard of Honor III and I enjoyed a lot more than the first time I saw it. Wow, pure awesomeness; I like it even more than their Rising Above match. I would go with:

Nigel vs Aries - Rising Above 2007 ****
Nigel vs Aries - SCOH III ****3/4

Now that WWE and ROH are returning to the Orlando area (Lakeland if we talk about ROH), I looked back at the awesome card that ROH put in 2008 for the WM Weekend. SCOH III has to be one of the better shows ROH have ever produced. Awesome stuff.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

AlexROH wrote:Woah, I've just re-watched the Nigel-Aries match from Supercard of Honor III and I enjoyed a lot more than the first time I saw it. Wow, pure awesomeness; I like it even more than their Rising Above match. I would go with:

Nigel vs Aries - Rising Above 2007 ****
Nigel vs Aries - SCOH III ****3/4

Now that WWE and ROH are returning to the Orlando area (Lakeland if we talk about ROH), I looked back at the awesome card that ROH put in 2008 for the WM Weekend. SCOH III has to be one of the better shows ROH have ever produced. Awesome stuff.
Interesting. I LOVED the Rising Above match, and don't believe I've seen the SCOH one, so I'm gonna have to watch both of those here real soon now.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

In the same boat. I absolutely LOVE the Rising Above match, so I'll definitely have to find the SCOH one soon.