Official 15th Anniversary Show (PPV) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Official 15th Anniversary Show (PPV) Thread

Post by AlexROH »

Trios title match confirmed:

On Friday, March 10, Ring of Honor celebrates a decade and a half of the Best Professional Wrestling on the Planet when the stars of ROH do battle live on Pay Per View at 15th Anniversary! This history-making event will be broadcast around the world on all traditional PPV outlets, ROHWrestling.com, the Fite App, and Playstation Network and the card is shaping up to be one of ROH’s best, ever!

One of the men that competed in the main event of the very first ROH card 15 years ago, “Almighty” Christopher Daniels, looks to fulfill his destiny and capture the ROH World Championship for the first time in his career. Daniels, who earned this opportunity by winning the Decade of Excellence Tournament, will face the winner of Bobby Fish and current champion Adam Cole, who meet at Manhattan Mayhem!

The ROH Board of Directors and Executive Committee have pledged that all championships will be on the line at Sam’s Town Live! in Las Vegas! And the next bout signed is for the ROH World Six Man Tag Team titles with a team focused on being the final date on the “Purple Reign Tour”!

ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE KINGDOM (MATT TAVEN, VINNY MARSEGLIA, & TK O’RYAN) vs. DALTON CASTLE & THE BOYS

The Kingdom have irritated much of the ROH locker room with their insistence of calling other stars “Melvins”. But what be most annoying has been their ability to back up their trash talk. Taven, O’Ryan, and Marseglia debuted by defeating Bullet Club in the opening round of the ROH World Six Man Tag Team Championship tournament and, since then, have had very few missteps and even fewer blemishes on their record en route to winning and defending the ROH World Six Man Tag Team titles.

But the road to the next stop on the “Purple Reign Tour” is blocked in Las Vegas and standing in their way are a peacock and two boys! In Las Vegas, Dalton Castle and the Boys have earned a ROH World Six Man tag team title opportunity in Sin City and intend to cash out their chips for gold live on Pay Per View.

“The Bad Boy From Boston” Taven has recreated the Kingdom in his image, recruiting long-time New England associate #INKSANITY Vinny Marseglia and blue chip prospect “The Sassy Wild Horse” TK O’Ryan. When they’re not calling their opponents Melvins, the three have formed a brotherhood, doing what Marseglia says is “a little thing called whatever they want”.

Standing across the ring from the Kingdom is a trio that has formed quite a bond themselves – Castle and the Boys have been together since Castle entered ROH and have been impressive in six man tag team action! Do they have the artillery to penetrate the Kingdom’s walls or will all the Kingdom’s men leave Vegas with the championships in tact? Join us in Vegas to find out!
Brada

Post by Brada »

Easy booking here. Bullet Club takes out Castle to further storyline with Cole as they protect their champ. Kingdom rough up the boys, and they retain.........snooze fest.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Brada wrote:Easy booking here. Bullet Club takes out Castle to further storyline with Cole as they protect their champ. Kingdom rough up the boys, and they retain.........snooze fest.
Which would be fine booking for TV but not for a PPV.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Not much of a choice.

They aren't going to win the straps, and you aren't going to have the guy that is going to win the World Title 2 weeks later lose in a 6 man match.

No other alternatives.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Brada wrote:Not much of a choice.

They aren't going to win the straps, and you aren't going to have the guy that is going to win the World Title 2 weeks later lose in a 6 man match.

No other alternatives.
Sure there are alternatives. Just have one of the Boys take the pin. That won't actually hurt Dalton. It's not as good as him winning a match would have been, but I don't think it hurts him. Or, you know, don't book the match in the first place.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Right. The booking of this throwaway PPV match alone does prove a case that Dalton won’t be winning at Supercard. If Dalton were to win the belt so soon, he would at least have a hotter streak of wins (to wit, I don’t think another probable win over Cabana will result in great effect). Also, keep in mind that The Young Bucks vs. The Hardys will more than likely main event the show, further decreasing the chances of a World Title change. Dalton may be a future champ, though it does not seem it will happen in Florida.

In general, I don’t think this 6-man match is a bad match for the show. Regrettably, it more shows that ROH doesn’t have much planned for talent one would think they are interested in. No stakes win for The Kingdom and a forgettable loss for Castle.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I think Castle wins the belt in Orlando....

I agree Big Red, don't book the match. Since it has been booked, based on the fact that I believe Castle walks out of Orlando with the title, he simply cant lose clean in a 6 man tag, regardless of who takes the pin...
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well, Cabana cut a promo about his desire to win singles gold in ROH when he turned on Castle in ROH TV.

I think that Castle is winning the big one at SCOH. When KK announced the Bucks vs Hardys match, he said that it would be one of the main events, not the last match of the card. I don't like how they are bulding Castle going into his title match with Cole (I explained in my review of The Experience) but he has beaten Cabana, Lethal & Fish and Donovan Dijak. These matches didn't have an impact or felt like important victories; but I think Delirious booked them to look like strong victories.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I am with you Alex.

Cole is gone in April, so he has to drop it at some point. Ive never bought into the Daniels nostalgic title run that everyone else has been talking about.

My personal choice would be Bobby Fish, however I could see them going with Castle. He has had big wins, even though he lost to Cody recently, I think that loss is to set Cody up as a first contender once Cole is at Full Sail bay bay.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Brada wrote:I am with you Alex.

Cole is gone in April, so he has to drop it at some point. Ive never bought into the Daniels nostalgic title run that everyone else has been talking about.

My personal choice would be Bobby Fish, however I could see them going with Castle. He has had big wins, even though he lost to Cody recently, I think that loss is to set Cody up as a first contender once Cole is at Full Sail bay bay.
Cody first contender? No! No! No! Ufff, I wish Lethal finally defeats Cody at SCOH and then Cody is out, forever. He isn't good and he doesn't fit in the BC. Without Cole in ROH, the main problem will be the Bullet Club, who will be the new leader? Will the BC come to an end?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote:
Brada wrote:I am with you Alex.

Cody first contender? No! No! No! Ufff, I wish Lethal finally defeats Cody at SCOH and then Cody is out, forever. He isn't good and he doesn't fit in the BC. Without Cole in ROH, the main problem will be the Bullet Club, who will be the new leader? Will the BC come to an end?
Kenny Omega cleans up his visa issues, returns to ROH and leads Bullet Club USA after Cole's departure.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Both Kenny and Cody are still more likely to be full time New Japan, so I don't see either of them being the main contender, plus with Cody never wanting to do the job it's going to be hard to really create any sort of threat to him.

Daniels for me is def getting the belt so I can see Kazarian being the main challenger after Cole leaves, and as long as Kazarian delivers on his part in the ring I think that will be a good main event feud for a couple of months. With that I guess we will have Cody and other Bullet Club members challenging Daniels, hopefully in the mean time a build of a new guy happens, maybe Marty as he is hot and continuing to build a strong presence in ROH, plus I think a face Daniels and strong heel Marty would deliver a lot through story, promos etc but I think Marty still needs a lot of time before he gets that shot.

Personally I would have Castle win the TV title as Marty transitions from to the main event picture. A strong reign for Castle will help him a lot so when he does go back to the main event he will look like a far more credible challenger. Overall I just don't think he really gets how to create a great match that main events need and I think the TV title will help much like I feel it is helping Marty. I think a Rush/Castle feud would be good for both and then have Rush win the title so Castle can move up to the main event.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I don't see Omega as a regular wrestler in ROH. If he finally cleans up his visa issues, he would be a great part-time special attraction, just like AJ Styles between 2014 and 2016. He's going to be the next top heel in NJPW (with Naito), and I'm sure he won't be wrestling full-time with ROH.

Yeah, the thing you say about Castle going for the TV title makes a lot of sense. It would be really cool and would help him a lot for learning how to work bigger main event matches. My problem here is your theory about the BC and the World Title scene. Daniels winning at SCOH and then feuding with Kaz for two months... it sucks a lot, IMO. Plus, having Daniels as champ, defeating Kaz and then feuding with Cody... that sounds even worse to me. I don't see a Daniels vs Castle match at SCOH and I don't see a better farewll to Cole than loosing the title against Castle in the WM Weekend.

For me, the transition this year should be:

- Cole defeats Daniels at the Anniversary with some type of help of the BC (I don't like shitty finishes for the PPVs, but that would make sense)
- Kaz and Daniels start a feud so they can have a grudge match at SCOH or BitW 2017.
- Lethal defeats Cody at SCOH and then, Cody goes to Japan full-time. With that victory, Lethal could be a potential challenger for Dalton Castle. It would be a really cool match that would help Dalton a lot.
- Castle defeats Cole to become champion at Supercard of Honor. That would be a shock and ROH would get some attention.
- Marty looses the TV title some time (maybe at BitW 2017)
- Marty ends the year as the top heel in ROH defeating Castle, the fan favourite and people's champ, at Final Battle or ASE to become ROH World Champion.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I always hear about guys having trouble with visa issues? What exactly is the trouble? How hard can it be?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Brada wrote:I always hear about guys having trouble with visa issues? What exactly is the trouble? How hard can it be?
When you go to other country to work, you need to have your work visa in order. If you don't, you can have big problems like Mikey Bailey. He is canadian and was working in the USA without Visa, now he have to work in Japan and Europe because he is prohibited from working in the United States until 2021.

I don't know what's exactly the problem, but I suppose that there's a long and difficult process behind the visa works.
Brada

Post by Brada »

a high profile star like Omega needs to get that crap figured out quickly.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I think should Castle win the title in Orlando, Cody is the natural fit as the first challenger since he holds a recent win over Castle.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AlexROH wrote:I don't see Omega as a regular wrestler in ROH. If he finally cleans up his visa issues, he would be a great part-time special attraction, just like AJ Styles between 2014 and 2016. He's going to be the next top heel in NJPW (with Naito), and I'm sure he won't be wrestling full-time with ROH.

Yeah, the thing you say about Castle going for the TV title makes a lot of sense. It would be really cool and would help him a lot for learning how to work bigger main event matches. My problem here is your theory about the BC and the World Title scene. Daniels winning at SCOH and then feuding with Kaz for two months... it sucks a lot, IMO. Plus, having Daniels as champ, defeating Kaz and then feuding with Cody... that sounds even worse to me. I don't see a Daniels vs Castle match at SCOH and I don't see a better farewll to Cole than loosing the title against Castle in the WM Weekend.

For me, the transition this year should be:

- Cole defeats Daniels at the Anniversary with some type of help of the BC (I don't like shitty finishes for the PPVs, but that would make sense)
- Kaz and Daniels start a feud so they can have a grudge match at SCOH or BitW 2017.
- Lethal defeats Cody at SCOH and then, Cody goes to Japan full-time. With that victory, Lethal could be a potential challenger for Dalton Castle. It would be a really cool match that would help Dalton a lot.
- Castle defeats Cole to become champion at Supercard of Honor. That would be a shock and ROH would get some attention.
- Marty looses the TV title some time (maybe at BitW 2017)
- Marty ends the year as the top heel in ROH defeating Castle, the fan favourite and people's champ, at Final Battle or ASE to become ROH World Champion.
Personally I don't mind either Cody or Kaz both seem to show up in ROH and try to deliver, especially Cody I have really liked his work in ROH, but then I have always been a fan of his. Kaz less so but I think he has become a far better worker or at least able to deliver more over the last year or so.

I see no problem generally with what you are saying and the plan you make out, I just think Daniels is set for the title and all honesty for me it's way too soon for Castle and considering how fans adore him and he is still one of the big pluses to many in ROH him having a bum run with the title could kill all that he has done up until now.

If you do have Castle win the TV title from Marty and have Marty win the big one say at Final Battle you have a great feud to line up for the main title at a later point.
Brada

Post by Brada »

well at least we know that if Cole leaves Vegas with the strap then get the Peacock party ready for Orlando.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Hey! It's feels awesome to be able to write here again! The 15th Anniversary show was awesome. We knew it could be a great wrestling show; but the casual fans of the product and the most critical section of the fans/reviewrs didn't expected it, so it was a home-run for ROH. One of the best big events in 2017 and one of my favourite ROH PPVs in recent memory.

I loved the commentary team. Riccaboni is improving a lot as PBP commentator and Cabana was excellent doing color. He said a lot of interesting things about ROH's history. Btw, I've said a lot of times in my reviews that ROH is still able to produce great matches/shows for the VODs; but they didn't translate that quality into the PPVs. With the 15th Anniversary they finally did it.

- Kenny King vs Jay White ***

- 6 Man Mayhem ***1/2 The surprise of the night. Great non-stop action match with a stellar performance by Punisher Martinez.

- Fish vs Lethal **** Awesome stuff. ROH gave them 15 minutes and they put on an awesome match. I loved that classic ROH feeling, with two wrestlers that respect each other going full speed, wanting to stole the show in a midcard match. Fish is a great PURE wrestler.

- Trios Title Match **3/4 Meh match. Poor TKO, he had a lot of potential. We'll see whats happens now, but it seems like The Kingdom could be over.

- Rush vs Marty **** Fantastic match! Again, ROH gave this match 20 minutes. The number of matches really helped in this PPV bc wrestlers had more time to work better matches. Lio Rush's performance was kindda awesome and Marty worked hard too. I usually don't like Marty's matches as much as other people because I think he's quite lazy. He doesn't sell and is always "waiting" until he can do his comeback and his thing. However, at the 15th Anniversary, Scurll found his better version and had his best performance since he arrived to ROH back in November. Loved the references to Nigel (the Tower of London) and Danielson (the Elbow Strikes before the final Crossface) and the end of the match. Lio is great, but his big victory can wait.

- Bully/Briscoes vs War Machine/DBS Jr. ***1/4 Entertaining brawl. Bully/Briscoes could be a great trio, I see them as champions now that TKO is injured.

- Las Vegas Street Fight for the Tag Titles **** Greaaaaat spotfest. Barreta and Romero were the stars in this match doing a lot of crazy stuff and taking a lot of bumbs (specially Trent). The tension between Hardys and Bucks were awesome too and added a lot of interest to his SCOH match.

- Daniels vs Cole ****1/4 FANTASTIC MATCH! My Match of the Night. This was a storytelling masterpiece. The story here was that Adam Cole was in Daniels mind. He has defeated him in all his recent tag matches so he was very confident comming into this match. He was so confident that he didn't bring the BC with him and spent all the match talking shit to Daniels. On the other hand, you had Christopher Daniels. The man that was at the very first main event, the old man that has never won the world title. It was all or nothing for him in this match. The match itself was great, but the end was what made it special for me. Yeah, it was a little predictable, but predictable doesn't mean bad. Kaz turning on Cole was great and made a lot of sense. Cole thought he was in control of everything and one step ahead of Daniels; but, at the end of the day, Daniel was the one playing mind games. Kaz turning on Cole was Daniels perfect move in this chess game. Awesome moment and one of the best title changes in recent memory. The detail of Silkin giving Daniels the old world championship was very cool too. I wasn't a big fan of Daniels winning the title; but it looks like ROH doesn't see Dalton Castle as "the guy" or the next big thing in ROH, so it makes a lot of sense giving the title to Daniels (who still can have great title defenses) until they found the next big star. I think he will loose the title at the end of the year against Marty Scurll.

Awesome show. Top to bottom. One of my favourites nights of wrestling in a long time. Worth the 35$ (for me it was 26$ bc of the ringside suscription).

Final rating: 9,5 / 10.