Official 15th Anniversary Show (PPV) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Brada

Re: Official 15th Anniversary Show (PPV) Thread

Post by Brada »

agreed. Great card top to bottom.

Scurll/Lio was really good.
Fish/Lethal was unreal.
Briscoes/Bully against War Machine/Harry was fun.

I will say this about the main event. Going in, I really wasn't in to the build up. The crying promo from Daniels I couldn't really invest in. So my expectations for the match were a bit low...

However, I thought the match was really good. Daniels grabbing color early on was good....the Kaz rouse was well played.....came off great. Afterwards they did a great job of making it special with Daniels long career and finally seeing the top of the mountain....cool moment.

Excellent show no doubt.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

ROH 15th Anniversary Show (3/10/2017)- Las Vegas, NV

JAY WHITE vs. KENNY KING (w/Caprice Coleman)- 6.5/10
Apparently The Rebellion are shaking hands now. This went by without any sort of comment from any of the three men on commentary (Kevin Kelly, Ian Riccaboni, and Colt Cabana). This was a solid opener with very good psychology. They did a great job of either showing you that a move was dangerous before building to a spot where it would be countered, or, I the case of Kenny’s big spinebuster, teasing it to show us how important it was before delivering on that promise.

KAZARIAN, ADAM PAGE, & THE YOUNG BUCKS BACKSTAGE- totally pointless.

SIX-MAN MAYHEM MATCH FOR A SHOT AT THE ROH TV TITLE: Adam Page vs. Frankie Kazarian vs. Punishment Martinez vs. Chris Sabin vs. Silas Young vs. Cheeseburger- 6.75/10
So Jay White, who we were just told has gone his entire ROH career without being pinned or made to submit, doesn’t get a place in the #1 contendeship match but f*cking CHEESEBURGER does?
The match was a really fun, crowd-pleasing spotfest. Kazarian won clean with his new finisher, the Ace of Spades.

JAY LETHAL PROMO- said absolutely nothing of any usefulness.

BOBBY FISH PROMO- a good promo, but it still shouldn’t have happened for an undercard match on a freakin’ PPV.

JAY LETHAL vs. BOBBY FISH- 8/10
They’re claiming that this is a “top contenders” match. What have either of these men done to be considered “top contenders” since their most recent title matches loss? Hell… ROH HASN’T EVEN PUT ON A SHOW since Fish’s loss. The only possible explanation is that Fish didn’t lose cleanly, but if that’s the case, THEN THE ANNOUNCERS NEED TO SAY SO.
The match itself was awesome. They told a great story with the work on Lethal’s knee and did a great job ramping things up in a way where it felt like they were building up animosity, but not hatred.

ROH SIX-MAN TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Kingdom(c) vs. Datlon Castle & the Boys- 4.25/10
Has there ever been a more punchable face in ROH than that of Vinny Marseglia?
The Boys used the twin switch. You know… like heels. Even worse, they did it despite purposely having different hair in order to make it easier for the announcers to tell them apart, so not only are they acting like heels, but they’re acting like very stupid heels. Kevin Kelly first plays along with this cheating, then claims that his monitor went out. You know… like a heel announcer would. Because Kevin Kelly is also very stupid.
I’m pretty sure this one ended earlier because TK O’Ryan appeared to completely destroy his shins on the guardrail while hitting an Asai Moonsault. He had to be carried to the back, and you could tell by the look on Taven’s face that this was quite serious.

ROH TV TITLE MATCH: Marty Scurll(c) vs. Lio Rush- 7/10
I was really liking this up until the point where Lio went to the outside to grab the title belt. That whole sequence felt completely forced and unnatural. Before that they had been doing a good job of both having Lio play the underdog babyface getting his arm worked over and also of playing into the finish of the non-title Lio Rush victory that set this match up.

THE BRISCOES & BULLY RAY vs. DAVEY BOY SMITH JR. & WAR MACHINE- 6.25/10
I really liked that they kept the dissension between Davey Boy Smith Jr. and War Machine to an absolutely minimum, as opposed to the over the top way we normally see and only had the full-blown argument after they had lost the match (i.e. when there was something to really be upset about). It made them not look like total idiots that way that guys often do when doing a “partners who don’t get along” angle.

STREET FIGHT FOR THE ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES: The Hardys(c) vs. The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice- 8.75/10
Instead of an entrance the Hardys just magically teleported to ringside. On the ROH Anniversary Show. This is all so wrong.
The match was one hell of a violent street fight. The thumbtack spots were all a level beyond what I enjoy seeing, although they kept it to enough of a minimum where that bit of pushing me out of my comfort zone actually made the match better for me because it felt more violent and it will be more memorable.
The story of the match was basically that Roppongi Vice kept preventing us from getting the Hardys vs. Young Bucks match that we’re going to get at Supercard of Honor XI. Also, lots of excellent weapons spots. The other positive in this match (aside from the quality, obviously) was that it has helped me warm up to the Hardys’ presence. I was quite worried that they would be all gimmick, but they were pretty much their “broken” selves wrestling like Hardy Boyz of the late 90’s and early 2000’s that we all knew and loved. I still don’t think they should have the belts, but I’m certainly more accepting of their presence now.
Speaking of belts, the Hardys walked off with the Young Bucks’ “Superkick Party Tag Team Title” belts.

CHRISTOPHER DANIELS PROMO- I thought the crying was a little too over the top.

ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: Adam Cole(c) vs. Christopher Daniels- 8/10
Lots of emotion in this match, and they did a fantastic job of playing that up as much as possible. I know people are expecting me to hate the Kaz thing, but I don’t, and here’s why: The Kaz thing isn’t a Russo swerve. In hindsight, Kaz coming out here was clearly meant to prevent Adam Cole from taking advantage of his ill-gotten advantage via low blow, and he did that.

POST-MATCH CELEBRATION- great! I totally marked out for Cary presenting Daniels with the original ROH World Title match.

An excellent show from ROH! The build-up to it may have been terrible, but this was one hell of a wrestling show. Check it out!
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

I don't know what else to add, except that I rather liked Daniels' crying promo. And his coming out dressed as George Washington instead of Col. Klink.

Just one of the best cards I've ever been to. Being told that my seat had been removed and they found a spot for me in the front row didn't hurt.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Anyone know why the PPV was pulled from Dish?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

dhads7161 wrote:Anyone know why the PPV was pulled from Dish?
Because of the conflict between Impact Wrestling and The Hardys about the owner of the "Broken" concept.

Impact made a cease and desist demand for ROH using The Broken Hardy gimnick. They send letters to The companies that run PPVs to inform them about the possible problem that ROH would have if the Hardys use the Broken gimnick during PPV.

Dish was the only one who answer and they decided to cancel the ROH PPV.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

AlexROH wrote:
Because of the conflict between Impact Wrestling and The Hardys about the owner of the "Broken" concept.

Impact made a cease and desist demand for ROH using The Broken Hardy gimnick. They send letters to The companies that run PPVs to inform them about the possible problem that ROH would have if the Hardys use the Broken gimnick during PPV.

Didn't realize that was the reason. Glad I know now. Still a tad miffed over not getting to watch it as I planned.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

dhads7161 wrote:
AlexROH wrote:

Didn't realize that was the reason. Glad I know now. Still a tad miffed over not getting to watch it as I planned.
I think Hardys will be "broken" at SCOH bc it is a VOD show. However...
Spoiler: show
It will be a Ladder War, they don't need to do the broken gimnick to get over with the crowd or put on a great match. They are masters at Ladder matches.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Finally got around to see this today, I thought it was a very well paced PPV, there were great timings for every match, you didn't feel burnt out at the end or even just for the main event. The match quality was high, one that surprised me the most was Fish vs Lethal, mainly because Fish's singles matches just have never really lived up to what could be promised but this did, both guys did a great job, I do think Lethal should have use two injections at the end though.

Give Scurll time and he will give you such a good match, he seems to love getting a middle then just kicking it into another gear. It's a shame Lio decided to leave as he seemed to set for more this year but some guys just don't want to wait.

I think Trent gave the performance of the night just for the shit he had to take, I hope it leads to more for Trent in ROH and generally as a singles guy, I like him as a wrestler and feel there could be something under the hood so to speak that's hiding away. Also Romero isn't going to be around forever and he is going to need be his own guy I imagine soon.

Cole and ROH have done a brilliant job in building his character, the fact that he can find space in the match to talk shit and the crowd not be put off is brilliant and helped the match so much. Daniels put on probably his best singles match performance to that level anyway, in a while. My only real quibble was that the package before the main event was poor, usually ROH has done a much better job but to just show the crying promo I felt was too soft especially just before the match.

Ian had a breakout night as a commentator, the fact that he was the man to get us underway in the first part of the PPV showed great faith and I felt he really made a statement to be the number one guy, Cabana I thought added some amazing nuences throughout the matches and the night, he did seem to tire towards the end though, and maybe they could try and tone him down for main events or very serious matches. Him and Ian though would be my choice going forward. Also WWE really needs to watch ROH just how you do a 3 man booth becuase in one night ROH managed to get it right and it's still taking WWE time.

Side notes: Sabin seems to over his age or injuries as he seems to have a real spring in his performances, Martinez is continuing to have break out moments and performances which is great, hopefully the crowd really start connecting soon if they haven't already. O'Ryan's wobbly leg was not nice, why he had try and move it I don't know, Castle with his entrances really are just a nice tough. The ref bump is possibly becoming a bit too much but what it led to I had no problem with and Seeing an old ROH belt was a great touch also,
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

The PPV was good.

Even my wife got into Daniels/Cole.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's the review of the PPV I wrote for VOW:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/0 ... ts-review/

As a whole, I thought the PPV was fantastic. Every match was (at the very least) good, and the commentary team was awesome.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Regarding T.K. O’Ryan, the two broken bones in his lower leg suffered when his shin hit the guard rail doing an Asai moonsault at the Anniversary show was a clean break. There is no time frame for his return but it will be a while.
On the anniversary PPV show, in the Young Bucks vs. Rocky Romero & Trent Baretta vs. Hardys match, the entire match was reworked 40 minutes before the show went on the air. That’s when the wrestlers got the word that everything had to change in that every single thing from the music, to no interviews by the Hardys on the air, to anything related to the gimmick, which would have been played up huge in the original match, had to be thrown out.
The Young Bucks and Hardys program has been agreed upon to be a major deal on Impact television until the Hardys situation changed. Both ROH and Impact had signed off on working together where there would be multiple dates for months in both companies, going back-and-forth, where the Young Bucks would have debuted on the April tapings. It would have run the gamut to matches on each other’s PPV shows as well as a match at the Hardy compound and eventually to the ladder match as the likely final match. Impact was still interested in the Young Bucks, as Jeff Jarrett showed interest in everyone who he thought had a name that could help the company. Even if the Hardys leaving wouldn’t have killed the idea, and realistically, it probably did, the legal threat that cost ROH the Dish Network PPV buys would have certainly killed it dead.