TPT 2017

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: TPT 2017

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

John Skyler is definitely the best of the bunch that have been officially announced. Hopefully he's used beyond the tournament (and one would hope that this leads to Corey Hollis being brought back).

Skyler being in this tournament is actually pretty interesting, because he & Corey Hollis were getting some semi-steady work as WWE jobbers (mostly in NXT but on the main roster once or twice as well) in the last year, which you'd think would lead to them getting signed for NXT, but I guess not....
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

If Skyler takes after Tully then i hope to see a slingshot suplex from him. i miss that move.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I'm familiar with Skyler.

I've actually been around him a little.

He's been the best option so far.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Skylar is good. That's one good entrant, lets see if we can at least get three. I'm optimistic.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Wilson wrote:This is the annual obligatory post about how there are always, abruptly said, bodies in the tournament introduced to just take the L.
And that's perfectly fine, but I'd rather see a bunch of young guys trying to make an impression than "local weekend warrior #1" and "smaller Dijak" over there. I mean, it's not like you NEED a bunch of veterans when every match outside of the final is 3-6 minutes at best.
Though ROH desperately needs an ambitious year for the tournament. There has been no ROH World Champions produced by the Top Prospect Tournament after 2011 and there have been a total of 11 World Championship opportunities granted to the entire, combined pool of participants from the four succeeding tournaments—three of these belong to singles matches against TaDarius Thomas, Grizzly Redwood, and Cheeseburger. In terms of title opportunities, the tournament has meant less and less each year.
That is why the TPT is such a wasted opportunity. The tournament has been a very transparent way to throw a bunch of seminar fuckers who flat-out paid to be booked instead of cherry picking young guys with potential and giving them a chance to show off their skills.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

The tournament could benefit the company much more than it has recently.

The past few years have made it plain that the tournament is a locomotive to push one or two select wrestlers while producing a few weeks of cheap television. I can accept that, but I don’t dig how the select wrestlers get booked in the succeeding months. When someone wins the tournament they should also receive the rocket. Instead, ROH continues to ignore the usefulness of all their tournaments at their disposal. The Decade of Excellence is the most important one they’ve done in years, and even that has been coming across as half-baked (mostly because of the non-starter quarterfinal matches).
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Kyle O'Reilly about El Phantasmo:
"@elpwrestling is a guy that should be on every major promotion's radar. Any 'top prospect' venture not including him is laughable."
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Thelone wrote:Oh good, another 15-year veteran in the PROSPECT tournament. Kinda scary to think that this guy is "one of the youngest competitor in the field" considering he should be at least 30.
This has been bugging me a lot, too. With the entrants being so old it doesn't feel like a "top prospects" tournament so much as it feels like a tournament of random dudes.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/chris- ... tournament

Great, another guy with 10+ years of experience in his 30s.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i dont care if is a real rookie like rush or dijak or some people that have been around for a lot of years

of course roh is a great plataform for them, i hope all the guys can fit in roh.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Wasn't Chris LeRusso the same guy who "supposedly" wrote Jay Briscoe's apology for the comments he made on Twitter a few years ago? I could be wrong, but I believe that was the controversy he was involved in....
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Standing 6’2”, weighing at 274 lbs, “The Pain Train” Preston Quinn is a menacing, determined individual. A lifelong athlete that excelled at every major sport, from linebacker in football and center in basketball to pitcher in baseball, “PQ” always had a competitive fire burning bright inside him. That fire burned hottest and brightest when he watched Professional Wrestling on Saturdays. At age of 4, he ran into his parents living room and jumped over the arm of the couch with an elbow drop on a pillow and uttered the words, "Mom, I’m going to be a pro wrestler!" Despite resistance from his family, "PQ" knew his road and what it would take.

At 18 years old, Quinn began training under Pat Anderson of the Ivan Koloff training family tree. PQ became a true student of the game, studying the old school style of competitors such as Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton and The Masked Superstar. Quinn has molded himself into a throwback not often seen these days. “The Pain Train” attacks a body part relentlessly until either forcing a limp opponent into his Spinebuster, shattering their chest with his spinning lariat known as the "Derailer" or torturing them into a submission victory.

At age 24, Quinn had his first of two daughters and decided to pull back on his national wrestling aspirations to be there to raise his children. Now, at age 40, seasoned and still in his wrestling prime as a veteran, "The Pain Train" is on a collision course with the entire roster at Ring of Honor.

The Gloucester, VA native has been on an absolute tear through the Mid-Atlantic Region since refocusing a few years ago. For the first time in his career, the 40-year-old Quinn has an opportunity to display his talents in front of an international audience. Will Quinn, the most experienced competitor in the tournament, channel his experience to achieve his dream 22 years into his career?
Josh “The Goods” Woods enters the 2017 Top Prospect Tournament with the most robust amateur record of any entrant in the history of the tournament. The West Palm Beach, FL native is a 4-time All-American and SEC Champion wrestling out of the University Central Florida. The former Golden Knight enters the TPT as a National Champion and was the captain of the 2012 US MMA team who has run fight camps for UFC stars Seth Petruzelli, Alex Nicholson, Mike Perry, and “Filthy” Tom Lawlor.

In short, Woods is a dangerous man. Perhaps the most dangerous in Top Prospect Tournament history.

The only potential knock on Woods is his relative inexperience comparative to other TPT competitors. But the pedigree of both his amateur background and the men who trained him to be a pro wrestler, which includes former ROH star Adam Pearce as well as men known the world over like Matt Bloom, Billy Gunn, Norman Smiley, and Terry Taylor, make up for any perceived experience gap.

In just over two years, Woods has challenged himself by taking on the top talent in the world. “The Goods” tested himself against stars like KENTA and Sami Callihan in his first year while recently competing against ROH stars like Punishment Martinez and TK O’Ryan. Woods is among the hottest up-and-coming stars in professional wrestling and will set out to prove that he is ready to take ROH by storm in Pittsburgh!

Confident and determined, Woods heads to Pittsburgh with a chip on his shoulder and intends to use his robust, impressive amateur background to reach the top of Ring of Honor.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Some 40yo dude I couldn't give less of a shit about.
Just... whatever, I'm not making that joke again.
Some NXT reject I also couldn't care less about.
At least the guy is relatively new to the business, which should be a prerequisite to enter the tournament.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Preston Quinn is supposedly quite good, from what I see some more familiar with him saying on Twitter. I recall him being on TV a few months ago, don't think he wrestled though.

Woods is an interesting choice. He has a great look and background to him, he comes across to me like the type of guy ROH would have brought in years ago at least for a cup of coffee - like Daniel Puder. If he can deliver in the ring and on the mic then I'm happy for him to be involved.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

reading good things about both of these guys on twitter

i hope Josh Woods deliver in the tpt..can be interesting

curt stallion is also on tpt for reports of time ago...so 1 spot lef.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Interested in Woods, Quinn and Skyler thus far.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So we have six names revealed, plus Curt Stallion, who we know is in the tournament. That means there's one unknown left.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

Who cares how old Quinn is. It makes for a good story in the tourney of an older guy looking for his shot at glory.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Let Chase Stevens win it all.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Roque11 wrote:Who cares how old Quinn is. It makes for a good story in the tourney of an older guy looking for his shot at glory.
For the last time, it's called the top PROSPECT tournament. Old journeymen in their 30s or even 40s with a shit load of experience aren't fucking prospects anymore, they're just mediocre dudes who paid their way into ROH.