Official "The Experience" (Columbus, Ohio 2/12/17) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Brada

Re: Official "The Experience" (Columbus, Ohio 2/12/17) Threa

Post by Brada »

Lio did win to set up a future title opportunity....I'm guessing Orlando...
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

awesome and highly important win for Lio, glad they are giving him this big a win.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Brada wrote:Lio did win to set up a future title opportunity....I'm guessing Orlando...
....or the PPV in Las Vegas.
Brada

Post by Brada »

true. I was thinking Vegas was Bucks against Rush/White....but I see that is at Manhattan Mayhem, and now that I think about it, Rush is booked for Best of the Best in Orlando, not ROH. Yeah, it will be Vegas.
sg86

Post by sg86 »

Rush-Scurll was very good but you could tell they were holding back for a bigger match.

Show was great though. Really fun. The only thing odd was that the situation with the main event voting made the card seem a bit out of order because of some people working twice. They had a 20 minute intermission and then came right back with Klein-Bordeaux which was a terrible idea.

Bucks-War Machine was absolutely amazing. The six-man was a lot of fun. The dark match was actually one of the best matches on the show. A lot of back and forth and they really got the crowd going.

In all, the show was very strong and I'd imagine some of it will end up on a Road Rage episode or two.
Brada

Post by Brada »

sg86, how did Bordeaux look in the ring? Any better?
sg86

Post by sg86 »

Brada wrote:sg86, how did Bordeaux look in the ring? Any better?
She looked serviceable. Definitely better than I've seen her before but still a lot of work to do. Her selling was great and her mannerisms were top notch. I saw enough to think she should continue doing what she's doing for right now. She worked her ass off trying at least, which is more than I can say for others sometimes.

A couple botches but those seemed to be because Kelly Klein wasn't strong enough to do the stuff she was trying to do.

For her level of experience she looked as good as someone could reasonably expect her to look.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Good to hear. From what I have heard from others and read, she is obviously very green, but genuinely cares and is committed to improving.

Glad to hear that her efforts are recognized.

Baby steps for sure.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

a lot of hype for the debut of the carnies in the dark match..thats very cool

very good win by lio..that match with the villan in vegas can be amazing.

so gresham is a roh regular or what?

cant wait to see the vod.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Brada wrote:true. I was thinking Vegas was Bucks against Rush/White....but I see that is at Manhattan Mayhem, and now that I think about it, Rush is booked for Best of the Best in Orlando, not ROH. Yeah, it will be Vegas.
They actually revealed that Lio Rush will challenge for the title in Las Vegas in their recap of the show last night:
The most interactive event in Ring of Honor history took place last night when The Experience rocked a capacity crowd at Express Live in Columbus, OH!

The Best Fans on the Planet were able to select everything from stipulations of matches to participants in the main event with meet and greets and question and answer sessions taking place throughout the night with all of the top Ring of Honor stars! And fans became part of the action when a lucky fan was selected to be a guest Ring Announcer and two lucky fans joined Ian Riccaboni on the call for a tag team match that will be featured on ROHWrestling.com.

Larry Legend and Mandy Leon hosted festivities throughout the evening, encouraging fans to vote for the three ROH stars that fans wanted to see compete for the ROH World Six Man Tag Team Championships against the Kingdom. A late surge carried Motor City Machine Gun Chris Sabin ahead of Romantic Touch to capture the final spot on the fan-selected team made up of two-time ROH World Champion Jay Briscoe and number-one vote getter Cheeseburger!

With the element of surprise working to their advantage, Briscoe, Burger, and Sabin nearly caught the Kingdom off guard and walked out of Columbus with the six man titles around their waists. But the continuity of Matt Taven, TK O'Ryan, and Vinny Marseglia allowed the trio to remain undefeated and continue what they are calling "The Purple Reign Tour". Up next for the Kingdom is Dalton Castle and the Boys at 15th Anniversary!

And it was in Columbus, another championship contender was established! In the days leading up to The Experience, fans selected the stipulation of 2 out of 3 Falls for Lio Rush's Proving Ground Match against the ROH World Television Champion "The Villain" Marty Scurll. After a very quick two falls, the two young stars fought back and forth before Rush scored the pinfall and secured a title match on Friday March 10 at the 15th Anniversary Pay Per View! He will face the winner of Scurll and Sonjay Dutt who will do battle at Manhattan Mayhem with the gold on the line!

Tag team action, though, ruled the night in Columbus! Hot off their upset win over the Addiction, the Tempura Boyz looked to keep things rolling against the Briscoes. But the 8-time ROH World Tag Team Champions were too much for Sho and Yo. Coast 2 Coast picked up a win against the Carnies, who were impressive in their ROH debut. And Bullet Club were the focal point of two must-see tag team battles!

War Machine had a visual pin for well over 10 seconds on the Young Bucks in one of the first true 2-on-2 meetings between these two teams while Frankie Kazarian distracted the referee. The Bucks used this to their advantage to retain but ROHWrestling.com has learned that War Machine is already petitioning the ROH Board of Directors and Executive Committee for another opportunity to face Matt and Nick Jackson.

The Young Bucks' Bullet Club compatriots ROH World Champion Adam Cole and Hangman Page faced Jay Lethal and Bobby Fish in a fan-selected Falls Count Anywhere match. In a wild brawl that saw Lethal lock a figure four on Page in the balcony and Fish throw Cole through a guardrail, Lethal pinned Page in a bit of revenge for Page's victory over Lethal one week ago in Dallas. But coming out of this bout, there are more questions than answers: has Fish softened up Cole and potentially gotten into his head ahead of their World Title match at Manhattan Mayhem and who will leave the Big Apple with the gold and head to 15th Anniversary to face "Almighty" Christopher Daniels in the main event!

In the last match with a Bullet Club imprint, "The American Nightmare" Cody used deception, dressing up as one of the Boys to catch Dalton Castle off guard, delivering a low blow and keeping control of the match to defeat the man who will challenge for the ROH World Championship at the biggest Supercard of Honor, ever, when Cole and Page held one of the Boys captive long enough to distract Castle and pick up the victory.

In a Six Man Mayhem match, Punishment Martinez picked up a victory, delivering a South of Heaven Chokeslam on the 300+ lbs Beer City Bruiser for the win in a match that also included "The Product" David Starr, Jonathan Gresham, Will Ferrara, and the Rebellion's newest recruit, Shane Taylor. Taylor made his impact felt earlier in the evening, helping Kenny King and Caprice Coleman continue their winning ways when the duo defeated Chris Sabin and Jay White.

In what was one of the most unique events in ROH history, the fans selected stipulations and even chose the main event competitors! Be sure to check back on ROHWRESTLING.COM for the Video on Demand, available soon! Don't miss this must-see event!
sg86

Post by sg86 »

I would expect a great match from Scurll and Rush at the PPV, but they often time these things poorly and end up rushing matches so who knows.

Either way, last night's match was excellent, but as I said, they clearly left something on the table for a later match.

The Carnies were pretty good. Most people were making fun of them early on because they didn't know what to think, but they won the crowd over. The dark match was probably the third best match on the card. Both teams totally brought it and the last 3-4 minutes were very good.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I think they will unhook the governor this time so to speak and let them go out there for 16-20 and steal the show. Really looking forward to that match.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well, I’ve just finished ROH’s last VOD show, The Experience. It was an average one. Not as bad as Undisputed Legacy but weaker than Honor Reigns Supreme. Matches were from okay to very good (not great) and crowd was hot. I know it was a house show and all of that, but this felt empty for me. When I was watching this I remembered what Big Red Machine said when Uncensored was announced, this is just a gimmick show. You have the excuse of matches with stipulations and they don’t even try to build some storylines or background for their matches. I want storylines or, at least, great matches that “justify” not building a back story. One of the main problems with the current ROH product is that the company doesn’t have an identity. You watch what Gabe is doing with EVOLVE, FIP or even Style Battle (you can like it, more or less) and you know what’s the concept they want to transmit you. When I watch a ROH I don’t see an identity or a clear purpose.

Matches, like I said, were OK. The other two problems I had during the show were the commentary team and the Q&A sessions between matches. I know you are selling this event as “the most interactive ROH show ever”, but having random wrestlers coming in between matches for answer to random questions from fans is a silly thing. The only interesting thing (and it wasn’t even interesting) was Jay Briscoe saying that he would rather win another tag title championship than a singles world title. Going back to the commentary, during my review for the Texas shows I said Ian Ricabboni was doing a good job. Yeah, he knows a lot about wrestling; but I hate his voice lol. He is always shouting and over acting like every match and move is THE GREATEST THING EVER. C’mon, this type of thing during a VOD show annoy me a lot. I can watch a show with him at commentary, but 2 and a half hours, two or three times a moth is too much. I’m the type of guy that thinks commentary is a vital part in a wrestling show; so, having Ian in every event makes my experience worse. Plus, Kazarian was doing some color commentary too. He was AWFUL, he didn’t talk about the matches and I think he thought he was being funny… I wanted him turning heel on Daniels at the Anniversary, but being a part of the BC… this is a bad move man.

Now into the star ratings:

Tempura Boyz vs Briscoe Brothers **3/4 – I was really looking forward this match… and it was kindda disappointing. It was too much Briscoe. I mean, I love them, but they didn’t allow the Tempura Boyz to do their offensive. Sho and Yo are great wrestler; but their treatment in ROH is bad.

Rebellion (King/Coleman) vs S&D (Sabin/White) ***1/4 – That was an improvement from the previous tag match. These two teams work good together. There were some sloppy parts, but in general the action was good. I think The Rebellion (Coleman, King & Taylor) will face S&D (MCMG & White) at the Anniversary PPV.

War Machine vs The Young Bucks ***3/4 – Very good match, the best of the night with the proving ground. This is what you would expect from these four individuals. I didn’t love it as much as I thought; but they worked hard. I hated Kaz interfering, I really hate this BC bullshit in ROH. Hope they have a better match in Japan.

Cody vs Castle *** – This could have been better, but there were some problems. First of at all is Castle. He had some great matches in 2015 and early 2016; but his in-ring work has been worse in the last phew months. His style is bland and he doesn’t look motivated when he’s wrestling. I think he’s gonna win the World Title at SCOH in Orlando. But just like it happened with Kyle last year, he doesn’t have the momentum. Yeah, he’s getting victories, but he doesn’t look strong enough to win the big one. This makes me sad. On the other hand, there’s Cody, one of the most overrated wrestlers in the world. He isn’t bad, but he doesn’t deserve the opportunities he’s getting because he hasn’t proved anything in the indy/international scene. This guy doesn’t fit in the Bullet Club. He, like Kazarian, isn’t as cool or as funny as he thinks. Plus, why the hell can’t he put someone over clean? Uffff, and then, when the match looked like it was going to be good, the BC interfered again. Please, stop with this shit, please, I don’t want this shitty Bullet Club in ROH. I don’t want interferences in every fucking show, I don’t want a lazy Adam Cole having average matches and being the only three times world champions and I don’t want nobodies like Cody or Kaz having a higher spot than younger talents with potential.

[Falls Count Anywhere] BC (Cole/Page) vs Lethal/Fish ***1/2 – Solid brawl. They fought throw the entire arena. Lethal finally won a match; but hey, after building Page as someone strong, they make him loose again. After the match, Fish and Lethal argue, yeah, because they are facing at the Anniversary and you need some type of video for the preview hahaha.

Starr vs Punisher vs Taylor vs Ferrara vs Bruiser vs Gresham ***1/4+ - This match was pretty good. It entertained me a lot. It was great to see David Starr wrestling in ROH. He did a great job, hope he gets more bookings. Everybody worked here, specially Punisher, he looked like a real badass. Btw, poor Gresham, he has been in every ROH show this 2017 and Delirious have always booked him in random sitty matches. I am the only who thinks Ferrara has one of the worst finishers ever?

[2/3 Falls Proving Ground] Scurll vs Lio Rush ***3/4 – Yesssss, finally Lio Rush is getting important victories. He’s such a fantastic wrestler and he proves it every time he gets in the ring. This match wasn’t as great as the Lio/Fish match from Texas; but I thought they are reserving some things for their PPV clash. I found just 2 problems in this match: The first one were the two first falls. Again, Marty DQ himself attacking Lio with the Umbrella, just for getting the second fall the second before. 2 minutes in the match and we are 1-1. I find this type of booking stupid. Second is Marty’s selling. I love Marty. I think he is a good wrestler with a great character; and I see him as the future top heel in ROH. However, I think he is just there when the other wrestler is hitting him; and then, when is his turn, he just resurrects and do his thing, without selling. This is a thing that annoys me a lot; I hope he correct this aspect of his in-ring work.

The Kingdom vs Cheeseburger/Jay Briscoe/Chris Sabin **3/4 – Meh, just meh. It surprised me a lot that Sabin got more votes than Daniels; who didn’t have a match in the whole show. This is your typical match. Everybody did her thing and the champs retained after hitting Rockstar Supernova (that’s how the call their finisher). You don’t need to see this. After the match, the babyfaces attacked the heels for sending the crowd happy. Yeah, let’s make three random wrestlers that aren’t going for the trios title destroy your Trios champs.

In general, this show is an easy watch. There’s no bad matches and it will entertain you. My recommendation would be watching the Tag Titles and 2/3 Falls matches and skip the rest. But, if you don’t have anything to do and wanna see something, you can watch this shows, is inoffensive. Better than Undisputed Legacy, worse than Honor Reigns Supreme.

Final rating: 6,5 / 10.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

ROH The Experience (2/12/2017)- Columbus, OH

Tonight’s announcers are Ian Riccaboni and Silas Young.

THE BRISCOES vs. THE TEMPURA BOYZ- 4.25/10
Ian Riccaboni is pushing some story that Jay Briscoe “snapped” and yelled at him after a loss last weekend, and claims this is out of character for Jay. Yes, really. They’re trying to convince me that it’s out of character for Jay Briscoe to yell at someone when he is in a bad mood.
Apparently this is a real storyline, as even though the Briscoes won a completely clean match and with relative ease, Jay just walked off instead of following the Code of Honor).

CHRIS SABIN & JAY WHITE (w/Alex Shelley) vs. THE REBELLION (Kenny King & Caprice Coleman) (w/ Rhett Titus)- 5.5/10
Rhett and Shelley are both injured. Not sure if Shelley’s injury is a work or not, but Rhett Titus is in a wheel chair and says he will be out 8-10 months. Shane Taylor seems to be taking his place in The Rebellion as he came out to ringside and went after Alex Shelley, which indirectly led to The Rebellion picking up the victory.

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Young Bucks(c) vs. War Machine- 8/10
It’d be really nice if Ian Riccaboni could go two whole minutes without saying the word “interactive.” Speaking of the announcers, they were joined by Frankie Kazarian, who would play a big role in this match by distracting the ref when War Machine had one of the Bucks pinned. The Bucks eventually came back to win a very action-packed match, but this succeeded in setting War Machine up as a challengers.

CODY RHODES vs. DALTON CASTLE (w/the Boys)- 4.75/10
The idea of Cody replacing one of the Boys when Dalton isn’t looking is a good one, but he passed up WAY too many opportunities to jump Dalton here that it makes you wonder what Cody was planning on doing had he not been found out.
Ian Riccaboni did a MUCH better job of making Bullet Club out to be despicable heels while still mentioning that they sell a lot of merch than Kevin Kelly ever did.
This was definitely one of those matches where the wrestlers held back a lot because they knew that the finish was probably going to annoy people, but I think that, given the requirements of the players involved, having Cole & Page kidnap one of the Boys to distract Dalton so Cody could beat him was a creative way to go that succeeded in protecting Dalton and building up his match with Cole while still giving Cody the win.
We got some stuff after the match that transitioned into the scheduled…

FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE MATCH: Jay Lethal & Bobby Fish vs. Bullet Club (Adam Page & Adam Cole)- 6.75/10
This was more like two singles matches (Cole vs. Fish and Lethal vs. Page) that happened to occasionally run into each other, but they did so in such a way that made it still feel like they were the same match. They made excellent use of the stipulation, as it felt like they really were going all over the place. I don’t know if they smartened up the camera crew beforehand or if it was just edited extremely well, but they had some moments where one camera was in absolutely perfect position to catch what was happening in the “other” match. I think my favorite of these was one spot where Adam Page (and one of the cameras) was up in the balcony and he looked over and saw that Fish had the heel hook locked on Cole down in the ring so he started hurrying back towards it.

SIX-MAN MAYHEM: Punishment Martinez vs. David Starr vs. Jonathan Gresham vs. Shane Taylor vs. Beer City Bruiser vs. Will Ferrara- 5.75/10
Taylor is using The Rebellion’s music, so I guess that makes him an official member.
The thing they did at the beginning of the match was extremely clever and well thought out (well… until the chokeslam spot), but… shouldn’t the referee have taken BCB’s beer can away before ordering the bell to be rung?
Other than that this was your standard fun multi-man match. Gresham and Martinez are the two who really stood out here, but all of the others certainly pulled their own weight.

ROH SIX-MAN TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Kingdom(c) vs. Chris Sabin, Jay Briscoe, & Cheeseburger- 4.75/10
This was mostly just a mess of spots, including one extremely stupid comedy spot between Cheeseburger and Marseglia. The Kingdom won clean to retain, but Delirious still felt it necessary to book a post-match segment so that this non-team of babyfaces could stand tall and lay out the champions at the end.

2 OUT OF 3 FALLS PROVING GROUND MATCH: ROH TV Champion Marty Scurll vs. Li Rush- 7.75/10
Kazarian is back out on commentary. He keeps calling Ian and Silas “Gorilla” and “Jesse” respectively, because apparently no one in ROH has the sense to tell the people that they shouldn’t be making dumb, pointless jokes in the main event.
Just a few moments in Scurll gets DQed for hitting Rush with his umbrella. Then, with Rush down, he picks him up and hits him with a Tombstone Piledriver for a pin, and we’re already tied up at one. I HATE it when something like this happens in a two out of three falls match because it basically throws away the stipulation (and considering that this was a stipulation that fans voted on in the weeks leading up to the show, it’s kind of a dick move, too).
The match was pretty darn great. Rush is an excellent babyface and Scurll is an excellent heel, so they let that carry the match, and it worked pretty damn well, culminating in Rush getting the upset roll-up victory to earn a future shot at the ROH TV Title. Scurll tried to attack him with the belt after the match but Rush avoided it and laid Scurll out with the belt instead.

A very good show from ROH, and one with some storyline-significant events as well. Silas Young was quite a good color commentator as well, which helped to make things more enjoyable throughout the night.
TowerOfDoom

Post by TowerOfDoom »

I too enjoyed this show. The fan q&a questions before and after each match were really fun. Hope they do this again.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I thought the falls count anywhere had some really nice touches and for ROH they did a great job of actually keeping you attached to all the action.

It wasn't one of favourite VOD's but like most it was a strong showing from ROH and there always for me worth the price considering it's way less than a ticket and a flight out to America.