This is what ROH should do...

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

This is what ROH should do...

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

...throw a fuck ton of money at Marty Scrull and make him the champ indefinitely. Like The Young Bucks, he does a shitload on social media. He has put a lot of thought into his character.

While Will Osperey is the darling, he has NJPW commitments. Scrull doesn't have those issues. They need to make this guy the figurehead of the company. Agree or disagree?
King of Indy Style

Re: This is what ROH should do...

Post by King of Indy Style »

Agreed. Scurll has a definite character, which is sorely lacking in ROH, he can wrestle his ass off, and while he's not a Jay Briscoe or Lethal, he's certainly passable on the mic. I say have someone like Lio beat him for it at SCOH and get the World Title on him ASAP.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Agreed. I don't know how they get the TV title off of him gracefully and transition to the World Title as quickly as possible, but Scurll coming off the BOLA win and his PROGRESS title run is ready. He's fresh to the scene and has the all around character to carry the company. Give him the ball and let him run with it.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

I been reading Kevin Kelly's twitter feed. You will never guess what promotion and wrestler Kelly is retweeting today.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Memphis Mark wrote:I been reading Kevin Kelly's twitter feed. You will never guess what promotion and wrestler Kelly is retweeting today.
rev pro and kojima

also this

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/stat ... 1719399424

tpt announcements this week too
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Absolutely, I would much prefer him to Bobby Fish, who obviously is groomed to be the next world champ.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Disagree.

One, Marty as good as he is still needs to be more built to the ROH and American audience. He got a pop at Final Battle but compared to Ospreay his pop was miniature. I think there are better options than Scurll right now and that he is in a far better position to be TV Champion because he makes it important and interesting.

After the SCOH announcement, I see Dalton Castle winning the title next. I think ROH will try to make some headlines Mania Weekend and that Castle, who everyone and their mother loves, winning the ROH World Championship in an "upset" to the expected to depart Adam Cole will be one of those big headlines.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote:Disagree.

One, Marty as good as he is still needs to be more built to the ROH and American audience. He got a pop at Final Battle but compared to Ospreay his pop was miniature. I think there are better options than Scurll right now and that he is in a far better position to be TV Champion because he makes it important and interesting.

After the SCOH announcement, I see Dalton Castle winning the title next. I think ROH will try to make some headlines Mania Weekend and that Castle, who everyone and their mother loves, winning the ROH World Championship in an "upset" to the expected to depart Adam Cole will be one of those big headlines.
I see Castle as a Dusty Rhodes type. More money to be made in him chasing the title. I think Castle as champion has a short shelf life. I think Scrull can transition to top heel in no time. And let's face it. ROH at this point desperately needs a character like Scrull on top.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I could definitely buy into the villian as the top guy. Would definitely make him entertain the thought at an extended stay in ROH.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

Thinking about what ROH should do in 2017 led me to do a bit of fantasy booking with the whole company.

1. TV/PPV--TV absolutely needs to be more than just a few good matches in 60 minutes. At times they have used it to build up PPV events, or feuds. But not on a consistent basis. Needs to be a strong show every week. Nice opening match, good middle match (usually a near squash to build up a contender to any belt), and a strong main event. After opening match, some kind of in-ring or on-stage promo in front of the crowd conducted by new interviewer Scarlett. Get over a feud, or an upcoming big match at a PPV. After the second match, you have the ROH Update segment on a pre-tape hosted by Larry Mercer, running down the upcoming big show with matches announced and interview vignettes. Ian Riccaboni and BJ Whitmer are your new announce team for TV & PPV. Trying to reboot the whole ROH identity, so use the ring mat with the red stripe in the middle from ASE 7. To match that, have the middle rope red and the top & bottom black.

2. Roster--I'd have a main roster of about 40 talents that are exclusive or damn near exclusive to ROH. I'd have a core of ten tag teams that are almost always tag only. I'd have ten names In the World title picture, and ten in the TV title picture. But those ten can move back and forth, so you are not tied to just being in the TV title hunt, you can go to the world title and back to keep it fresh. Using the current roster, with a bit of dreaming on my part, it would look like this.

TAG TEAMS
1. The Young Buck (NIck & Matt Jackson)
2. Dem Boys (Jay & Mark Briscoe)
3. The Addiction (Christopher DAniels & Frankie Kazarian)
4. Tempura Boys (Yo & Sho)
5. 2 guys from the TPT forming a team
6. Motor City Machine Guns (CHris Sabin & Alex Shelley)
7. The Kingdom (Vinny Marseglia & K.O'Reilly)
8. The Revolution (Caprice Coleman & Shane Taylor)
9. Beer City Bruiser & Silas Young
10. Will Ferrera & somebody from ROH Dojo FOH

First five would be the faces, last five are the heels

WORLD TV
1. Lio Rush (they need to put some money out there and get him to stay)
2. Jay White
3. Johnathan Gresham (need to sign him too)
4. Cheeseburger
5. TPT winner
6. "Hangman" Adam Page
7. Colt Cabana
8. Kenny King
9. "Punishment" Martinez
10. TPT Runner Up
first five are your faces, second five are your heels

WORLD TITLE
1. Bobby Fish (pay him whatever to get him to stay)
2. Jay Lethal
3. Dalton Castle
4. Will Ospreay (use that New Japan connection to keep him longer than six months)
5. new talent (I'd like A.R. Fox)
6. "American Nightmare" Cody
7. Matt Taven
8. "The Villain" Marty Scurll (promise him some creative control of character, spend some money, and get him longer than six months0
9. new talent (I'd like Sami Callihan)
10. new talent (I'd love Drew Galloway)
top five are faces, second five are heels

I'd try hard to get Fox, Callihan, and Galloway in from WWN, since none of them seem to have a future in WWE so might be able to put money into a deal and get them in. Also supplement this with talent from New Japan (Omega, Juice, Shibata) and CMLL (Dragon Lee please)

3. Title changes--here is how I'd book the 2017 titles

WORLD SIX MAN
Kingdom drop them in May to The Elite (Young Bucks and Omega). Elite drop them to Silas, Bruiser & their Callihan. At Final Battle maybe have Dem Boys & Fox take them.

WORLD TV TITLE
Scurll drops it to Jay White. Over the summer, White is in a feud with Hangman Page where they trade the belts. White gets it back but loses it at ASE to Callahan.

WORLD TAG TITLE
Bucks drop them at BITW to a newly turned heel MCMG. I think Shelley and Sabin would be awesome as dick heels. Bucks win it back at Final Battle

WORLD TITLE
Fish over Cole at Mayhem. Dominant champion until Final Battle when he gets beat by Scurll.

SOTF
Castle wins and will take the world title at 16th anniversary, but drops it back at Supercard in 2017.

JUst spitballing, but that is what I'd do in 2017.
Brada

Post by Brada »

The channel changer Matt Taven has no business in any world title program unless it is a squash match to put over a dominant champion.

Ratings killer is no main event player.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Brada wrote:The channel changer Matt Taven has no business in any world title program unless it is a squash match to put over a dominant champion.

Ratings killer is no main event player.

A-men. The last thing ROH needs is Matt Taven snoozefests in the main event, especially when he already brings them to the 6 Man Tag Titles, and brought them in the Tag Title and TV Title scenes.