Official Manhattan Mayhem VI Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Re: Official Manhattan Mayhem VI Thread

Post by BurningHammer »

Brada wrote:Agreed. It just comes across as a feud with some old school flavor to it. Lethal coming out in jeans rather than ring gear to throw blows with Cody while he is making the Bucks entrance announcement. Cody with the money making references. Just some particulars that give it a Crockett 80's feel to it. Maybe some Dusty influence there as well, who knows.

Either way, I like it.
Yeah definitely think it's the way to go, I think it's something that I have really noticed and I don't know it's a Delirious thing or the wrestlers putting the matches together but the idea of a "hot" start just doesn't seem to happen much, I would love to see a wrestler already in the ring, just do a dive straight onto the coming to the ring and let fists fly and whoever it is just come up and rise to roar of the crowd. Getting a crowd up like for me is needed in these matches at times, I mean I understand creating that anticipation and letting the silence of the crowd wash over while you wait to see but sometimes you just need that rush and I think Lethal as he has the dive in repertoire would be the perfect example of someone who should do it.

A visual of a bloody Cody and Lethal hitting the Dusty punches or visa versa would be great, maybe have an ode to Corino and Dusty in there too.
Brada

Post by Brada »

That would be an awesome idea to incorporate into the Orlando match for sure. Have them both come out in white t shirts, jeans tucked into cowboy boots, old school style, bloodied up..........

That would be $$ my friends..
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Cabana vs Castle is now official for the show. Great card so far:

Fan demand for Ring of Honor live events is at an all-time high across the globe. With ROH’s biggest year to date in the books, we turn an eye to 2017 and the Big Apple. One of the most popular classic events makes it triumphant return in ROH’s most popular venue: on Saturday, March 4, MANHATTAN MAYHEM returns to the Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom!

All of your favorite ROH stars will be there in a night of in-your-face, hard-hitting action that only Ring of Honor can deliver! Final Battle 2016 sold out in a matter of hours and all signs point to Manhattan Mayhem selling out, too. To get the best seats, be sure to get your tickets now!

The ROH Executive Committee has been working around the clock to sign the biggest matches to commemorate this event’s return to the Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom. Just signed is a huge grudge match pitting Dalton Castle against Colt Cabana!

Castle and Cabana formed what appeared to be a promising tag team several months ago, but Cabana turned on Castle, viciously attacking both “The Party Peacock” and The Boys.

Castle gained a measure of revenge by scoring a high-profile victory over Cabana at the Final Battle pay-per-view in December, but that setback only made Cabana even more determined to finish Castle and his entourage once and for all.

During a recent episode of “Ring of Honor Wrestling,” Cabana -- who had been doing commentary with Kevin Kelly -- laid out The Boys just as they and Castle were about to face ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Champions The Kingdom in an impromptu match.

Castle has an ROH World Title shot at Supercard of Honor on April 1, and Cabana -- who has been frustrated by his inability to win the world title since returning to ROH at last year’s Supercard of Honor -- would love nothing more than to not only defeat Castle at Manhattan Mayhem, but also put him on the shelf so that he doesn’t make it to Supercard. .
Brada

Post by Brada »

Castle definitely needs to go over here to build to SCOH for the match with Cole.......maybe even show a mean streak against Cabana to show a focused, determined side to his character.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote:

Castle has an ROH World Title shot at Supercard of Honor on April 1, and Cabana -- who has been frustrated by his inability to win the world title since returning to ROH at last year’s Supercard of Honor -- would love nothing more than to not only defeat Castle at Manhattan Mayhem, but also put him on the shelf so that he doesn’t make it to Supercard. .
It would have been nice if Cabana had ever cut a single promo about this since losing to Lethal on TV. It could have given his turn on Dalton some actual context rather than "I turn on you because." (And yes, you can bring up the tag title thing, but Colt never cut a promo about that, either.)
Big Red Machine

Brada wrote:Castle definitely needs to go over here to build to SCOH for the match with Cole.......maybe even show a mean streak against Cabana to show a focused, determined side to his character.
Which is exactly why Cabana should have gone over via heelish means at Final Battle. That would have both given Dalton a reason to develop this mean streak, plus given Cabana a win so that he can lose here and lose this feud without looking like a total chump (although if I were booking they'd probably be in a tag match or doing a "Pick Your Poison" thing here [Homicide returning for one night to face Castle on Cabana's behalf would be awesome], and doing the blow-off on the PPV).
Brada

Post by Brada »

good point. Agree with you here.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

AUTOGRAPH SIGNING ANNOUNCED FOR MANHATTAN MAYHEM:
On Saturday March 4th, Ring of Honor will be hosting a special meet and greet autograph session prior to MANHATTAN MAYHEM at the Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City! This special session will begin 90 minutes prior to the advertised bell time.

Below is the list of ROH stars appearing at the signing, as well as our pricing options to ensure you get all the autographs you want! Don’t miss your opportunity to meet the stars of ROH in the Big Apple before they compete in front of a capacity crowd!

MANHATTAN MAYHEM:

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE YOUNG BUCKS
CODY
WILL OSPREAY
DRAGON LEE
SILAS YOUNG
MOTOR CITY MACHINE GUNS

PRICING IS AS FOLLOWS

Singles Wrestlers - $20 (1) Personal item or 8x10 (ROH supplied) signed & (1) Posed Photo
Tag Team Wrestlers - $30 (1) Personal item or 8x10 (ROH supplied) signed & (1) Posed Photo
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

ROH uploaded Manhattan Mayhem VI on Friday, just 20 hours before the 15th Anniversary. Bad move here, I don't know why they were so slow this time. However, this was an excellent VOD show and really felt like something special and important. Hammerstein's show are always great and this was no exception. Plus, we had our classic Manhattan Mayhem surprises.

- TK O'Ryan vs Christopher Daniels **3/4

- Cabana vs Castle ***1/4 Fun match, but, as Rich said in the last POH, the finish of this match would have made more sense for Final Battle. If this is the last match between these two, the finish should have been clear. Still a fun match.

- Scurll vs Dutt ***1/2 Great match! Sonjay Dutt is so smooth in the ring. He still can go. Another great match for our TV champion. He has been ROH MVP in 2017 with matches against Dutt, Dijak or Rush.

- Lee vs Ospreay ****1/4 OMG, that was AWESOME! Crazy match with a lot of dives and imposible moves. Dragon Lee finally had a great singles performance in ROH and proved why he's one of the best high-flyers in the world. It surprised me a lot the Lee victory, but maybe they are bulding a big match for him at SCOH, who knows.

- Bucks vs Rush/White ***3/4 I found this pretty good. They worked hard and the match ruled. White & Rush have great chemisty and adapted well to the Bucks classic tag team formula.

- Bucks vs Hardys ***3/4 This was awesome. You have to watch it. Wonderful moment and a very entertaining match. No one saw this comming and the pop at the Hammerstein was one of the best I've ever seen. Go and watch this match/segment. It really felt special.

- Honor Battle Royale **3/4 Standard battle royal. Taven earning a title shot is fine. He will have a little TV o VOD match with Daniels. Good for him!

- Briscoes/Lethal vs Cody/Page/Kaz ***1/2
I wasn't expecting anything, but this match ended being better than I thought. Fast paced 3 on 3 match. I loving Lethal-Cody feud, it's like an old school feud. Match was your ROH vs BC standard match, but having Briscoes, Lethal, Cody and Page added quality. Great way to prepare the crowd for the ME.

- Fish vs Cole **** I'm in the minority with this one, but I loved this match. It was a 20 minutes match and both worked their asses off to put on a solid main event. Fish was great, as always, and worked very well Adam's leg. I like his slow tempo in the match. Cole acted like a complete heel here and the end of this match was a great example of it. I liked it, Fish is staying with the company and Cole is leaving. The Roll-Up thing was perfect to sell Fish as a great wrestler and Cole as hateable champion. Crowd was a little meh, it was late in the night, they were tired and it was a slow match; but I really enjoyed it on VOD.

- Post-match segment with Bully Ray - The portion of the segment with BC attacking Fish and The Briscoes felt too long on the VOD. Bully Ray's debut was fine. I really liked his promo. ROH edited the part when he called out Joe Koff like 6-10 times hahaha. I was a big fan of Bully Ray's heel run in TNA (12-13). If he stays babyface, he could be a interesting trios champion with The Briscoes. But I would mind to see him as a uppercarder heel who puts younger talent over.

Great show! ROH did an awesome job with Manhattan Mayhem VI and the created a lot of buzz around this. I was going to say that this was my favourite ROH show in 2017, but the 15th Anniversary was even better. Great, great work by ROH this past week putting on a fantastic show in NYC and a perfect PPV in Las Vegas.

Final rating: 8,25/10
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Just wanted to say thank you to Alex for all the quick reviews you post. They're invaluable to me for chosing which shows/matches I need to check out, and nobody else seems to do them these days.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Robareid wrote:Just wanted to say thank you to Alex for all the quick reviews you post. They're invaluable to me for chosing which shows/matches I need to check out, and nobody else seems to do them these days.
Thank you so much for the feedback! I love to read reviews before buying a show, so I know how important these type of reviews are for a big part of the fans. If you find my reviews interesting/important, I'll continue to write them.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

This was one of my favourite ROH shows from the past it always seemed to deliver and have something memorable and this did, it really did. Aside from that I thought the overall quality of matches was very good, one that surprised me the most was Cabana/Castle and It made me want to see more now, as they seemed to have worked out how to be in the ring with each other.

Ospreay/Lee was certainly a very good high flying match, Ospreay really is perfecting his craft and I think Lee is coming around to the American way of working especially in a singles match.

The Bucks gave the performance of the night with the match they had with Jay/Lio (which seems to criminally underrated by the way for an all out athletic tag match it was great), and then the match with the Hardy's really delivered I was skeptical of the what it would be like but with the atmosphere and energy it made for a great moment and rather good match.

I'm with you Alex I really liked the main event I just felt the crowd didn't really, Fish can be in awkward spot with his move set as really you want him to kick the shit out of someone's leg and tap the guy out. Now this is really only going to work if the crowd wants the other guy to have said leg kicked to pieces unfortunately they didn't and this made the match slightly below what it could have been. I really enjoyed it though.
marcgeo13

Post by marcgeo13 »

That place was deafing when Hardys came out
Big Red Machine

ROH Manhattan Mayhem VI (3/4/2017)- New York, NY

Ian Riccaboni and Silas Young are your commentary team for tonight. I thought they were pretty good at The Experience, so hopefully that wasn’t just a one-night thing.

OPENING SEGMENT- fine
Daniels cuts a promo about the history of ROH and the wrestlers who have made it so great. Some asshole fans chanted “NXT!” Daniels then continued to cut a short promo saying that he would win the ROH World Title.
He gets interrupted by The Kingdom. Taven says he is too old. His stupid “Mevlin” schtick already feels old and he’s only been back in the ring for a few months. Daniels cuts a promo on Taven and challenges him to a match. T.K. O’Ryan jumps in instead and goes after Daniels, so we get…

CHRISTOPHER DANIELS vs. T.K. O’RYAN (w/The Kingdom)- 4/10
I like them giving O’Ryan a chance to show what he can do in singles action here, although the fact that they are treating one of the six-man tag champs as expendable is a bit concerning. I want O’Ryan to develop a personality on his own and feel like he is something more than Interchangeable Taven Sidekick #2, but I’m not sure if having him do a job is the best way to do it. It also probably would have worked a lot better if the match bad been allowed to go longer so he could have gotten more time to show his stuff. This would also have allowed it to feel like The Kingdom’s interference wasn’t the only thing O’Ryan had going for him here. As it was, the story of the match was very much Daniels overcoming the whole Kingdom rather than Daniels having a match with O’Ryan in which The Kingdom occasionally tried to help O’Ryan win. This was good for a four-minute match, but a guy like T.K. O’Ryan needs more than four minutes if he is going to be a guy ROH wants fans to accept as being an important player in the company, both now and down the road.

COLT CABANA vs. DALTON CASTLE (w/the Boys)- 4.75/10
At one point, the following phrase was uttered by play-by-play announcer Ian Riccaboni: “We’ve seen what Colt Cabana can do with these feathers.”
The story of the match was that Cabana kept getting preoccupied going after the Boys, which allowed Dalton to capitalize and get the win. That sounds like Dalton got a heelish win, but they did a pretty good job of having the Boys not do anything that was really illegal (although I have to agree with Silas that a lot of it was pretty borderline and perhaps referee Paul Turner was wrong to not make any effort to reprimand them).

ROH TV TITLE MATCH: Marty Scurll(c) vs. Sonjay Dutt- 6.25/10
They did their best, but they were completely hamstrung by the fact that no one thought Sonjay had a snowball’s chance in hell of winning (which is exactly what happens when you give title shots to random outsiders instead of building up your own challengers).

WILL OSPREAY vs. DRAGON LEE- 6.75/10
This was the standard fun spotfest you’d expect from these guys.

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Young Bucks(c) vs. Jay White & Lio Rush- 7.75/10
This match was pretty darn nuts for the time it got. I always enjoy it when the Bucks make an effort to change their offense up a bit, and White and Rush provided excellent plucky underdog opponents. That spot with Jay White and the chops is an excellent example of how you can do comedy while maintaining the serious atmosphere of a match. And how about that finish. That was CRAZY!

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- the lights went out and then the Broken Hardys appeared in the ring. The crowd goes bonkers. They (the Hardys, not the crowd) challenge the Young Bucks to an ROH World Tag Team Title match right here, right now, and for some reason the Bucks accept, so we get…

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Young Bucks(c) vs. The Hardy Boys- 6.25/10
Whoever had the bright idea to use one camera shot for the Bucks’ crotch chopping and a different one for the Hardys’ “DELETE!”ing and to switch back and forth every single time should be flogged.
They stuffed just about everything they could into these eight and a half minutes, and it resulted in the Hardys winning the ROH World Tag Team Titles, which is a booking decision that I just do not understand. It’s a title switch that will only result in a quick switch back within a month (Matt only announced three more dates that they would be in ROH), which devalues the titles… and for what? If you wanted buzz then just the Hardys showing up and announcing that they had signed contracts with ROH would have done it (especially with the news we’d get in the main event about Bully Ray doing the same), and if you wanted to get them on the PPV all you had to do was book them against Kenny King & Caprice Coleman instead of doing the King vs. White match. This is going to be yet another short title reign, which is something ROH has been booking far too often over the past four years.

HONOR ROYALE BATTLE ROYALE FOR A FUTURE SHOT AT THE ROH WORLD TITLE- 3.75/10
This match was basically everyone on the roster who didn’t wrestle in any other match (plus T.K. O’Ryan). The only guys I can think of who weren’t in this match that you would expect to be on an ROH card are Alex Shelley (who seems to be injured), Jonathan Gresham, Shane Taylor, and BJ Whitmer (who, I have a sneaking suspicion, has quietly left the company). This includes Rhett Titus, who had claimed to be out 8-10 months with an injury at The Experience, but I guess that was a work.
O’Ryan was eliminated immediately, and was the only man eliminated in the first few minutes. Did we really have to treat one of the ROH Six-Man Tag Team Champions like this? This spot couldn’t have gone to LSG or Shaheem Ali or Will Ferrara?

They did a good job using some of the eliminations to set up feuds, but I thought there was WAY too much comedy in here. I also hated everything they did involving Cheeseburger. First of all, I don’t buy for a moment that Silas Young would pick CHEESEBURGER out of everyone else in the match to make an alliance with him and the Beer City Bruiser. Second, Burger’s reason for ending their alliance- that he felt it was wrong to hit Chris Sabin when Silas and the Bruiser were holding Sabin’s arms- was idiotic. It’s a f*cking wrestling match! NEVER has this ever been portrayed as immoral before, so why should it be so now (and especially when you consider that Burger has, in the past, proven willing to both cheat and to help others cheat [because Silas Young is involved here, last year’s Conquest Tour: West Warwick immediately jumps to mind]). Then they had CHEESEBURGER eliminate RAYMOND ROWE with a shotei that send Rowe stumbling, like, four feet backwards and over the ropes. Because God knows we’ve got to get the one-note comedy jobber over, because those Cheeseburger pushes always matter so much. Remember last year when he pinned Christopher Daniels clean in the middle of the ring on a PPV? Where did that get him? Nowhere. He went back to being a comedy jobber the next day, and that’s what he still is, so why the hell to they insist on treating him like he’s anything other than a human punching bag with a stupid name?
Just to cap all of this stupidity off, when Silas and BCB threw Cheeseburger out of the ring, War Machine decided to not only catch him, but to throw him back into the ring rather than just putting him down on the ground and letting him be eliminated.
It came down to Chris Sabin, Matt Taven, and Vinny Marseglia. Marseglia hit a low blow on Sabin, and then had to make the most goofy, annoying face possible while keeping his arm on Sabin’s groin. You know… there is a reason that Marseglia has been in the business for a decade and yet has rarely every wrestled outside of New York and New England aside from shows with ROH: IT’S BECAUSE HE’S NOWHERE NEAR GOOD ENOUGH TO WARRANT A SPOT IN A NATIONAL PROMOTION! SO WHY THE HELL DID DELIRIOUS GIVE HIM ONE?!

JAY LETHAL & THE BRISCOES vs. BULLET CLUB (Adam Page, Cody Rhodes, & Frankie Kazarian)- 7.25/10
Referee Paul Turner just let Adam Page keep his noose in his team’s corner. Then, when Jay Briscoe picked the noose up, Turner made no effort to get it away from him, and similarly did not make an effort to get it away from Page when Page had it.
This is one of those matches that follows the theory that if you just take six guys who all range between the upper midcard and the main event and you throw them in a six-man tag together, you’re always guaranteed to get a strong, fun match, and that’s what this was.

ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: Adam Cole(c) vs. Bobby Fish- 8.25/10
Fish works the knee, Cole works the head, and they both sell it well. A very simple and yet very awesome match.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
The singles wrestlers in Bullet Club come out to celebrate with Cole. Kazarian gets in Fish’s face and they start shoving each other until Cody and Page come over. Faced with a three-on-one situation, Fish starts to throw punches. He is quickly overwhelmed. Bullet Club tries to put him through a table but the Briscoes come out to make the save until the numbers game overwhelms them as well.
Then Bully Ray showed up. He didn’t have any music, which was fine because no one would have recognized it anyway because they couldn’t possibly have heard his ROH music before. Instead ROH made the interesting choice to have him not have any music at all, which I thought created this kind of cool moment where you could hear the “WHOA!” of surprise spread through the crowd as each person caught sight of him. Bully chokelsammed Adam Cole through a table. It looked fantastic. Then he cut a promo announcing that he was now in ROH. He said other stuff, too, of course, and he seemed pretty genuine in everything he was saying, but the fact that he is now in ROH is the important part.

This was a very good show from ROH, but not at the outstanding level of the previous five shows to bear the Manhattan Mayhem name. That being said, this is also likely to be the most newsworthy show we’re likely to see in quite a while, and that includes next weekend’s 15th Anniversary Show PPV and next month’s Supercard of Honor XI. What you think of that news- specifically the signing of the Hardy Boys and Bully Ray and putting the tag titles on the Hardys- is very likely going to affect your enjoyment of this show. Personally… I’m ambivalent. I wouldn’t be opposed to these guys coming in on their own, when you combine it with the many recent or upcoming departures of young promising talent (ACH, Dijak, Rush, Keith Lee) it does start to get a bit concerning. Gabe’s comment was essentially that Evolve is going to continue to focus on being the promotion of the future… and that’s what ROH used to be and SHOULD be, but seems to have lost the ability to be. In his promo Bully Ray compared ROH to ECW… and it kind of feels like we’re fast approaching the year 2000 if you know what I mean.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Apologies for this being late, but here are my live thoughts from the show (from a few days after, but before the PPV):

From a live perspective, I thought Manhattan Mayhem VI was a pretty entertaining show, for the most part. It was soooo good to be back in the Hammerstein Ballroom. I didn't mind Terminal 5 (granted, I was only there once and I had a really good seat), but the Hammerstein Ballroom is such an awesome venue for wrestling. This was actually the first time I've been at a regular ROH show, that wasn't a War Of The Worlds joint event with New Japan since the 10th Anniversary Show (which was the first ROH show I saw live). In hindsight, this was actually a pretty big show, with the main card, the Women of Honor match, and the two Top Prospect Tournament Matches that were taped for TV. Twelve matches in total.

Getting to see Will Ospreay, Marty Scurll, & Dragon Lee live for the first time was so cool. I know people are down on ROH right now, but there was no way I was going to miss the opportunity to see those guys live. Dragon Lee vs. Will Ospreay was easily the best match on the show, and is definitely worth the VOD purchase. The Young Bucks vs. Lio Rush & Jay White was also pretty great. It's amazing to see how over The Young Bucks are in person. They were so popular with that crowd that Rush & White were actively getting booed at points. Marty Scurll vs. Sonjay Dutt was also pretty good. Dutt isn't exactly the most exciting guy in the world (on paper), but he had a strong outing here. Scurll was, of course, awesome.

The Hardys showing up, and then The Young Bucks subsequently accepting their challenge, was probably the loudest reaction I've ever heard out of all the ROH shows I've seen live. It was insane. We'll have to wait & see when it drops, but I don't think the VOD will do that pop justice. It's amazing to see how over Matt Hardy is right now, especially considering that he was LOATHED during his 2012-2014 run with ROH. Seeing them win the titles was an incredible moment. As far as Bully Ray goes, I'm still not sure what to make of it. He was presented as an uber-babyface here, but it seems like he's much better served as a heel. I guess he feuds with The Bullet Club? Honestly, I don't know. What I will say, however, is that the appearances made by The Hardys & Bully Ray totally worked in this setting. Manhattan Mayhem is a show that is notorious in ROH lore for having surprises, so in that regard, this show certainly continued that tradition.

The rest of the show was a mixed bag. The Kingdom confronted Daniels at the start of the show, and it looked like we were going to get Daniels vs. Taven, but TK O'Ryan jumped in and took the match instead. It honestly wasn't much, as it went about five minutes or so, and felt very much like a house show match. Dalton Castle vs. Colt Cabana was pretty solid. The Boys took a pretty nasty bump right at the end of the match. The second half of the show was just....there. The Battle Royal was fine for what it was, and the six-man tag was decent (but not that interesting). I actually enjoyed the main event. The first half wasn't that interesting, but things definitely picked up a bit in the second half. It seemed like the show peaked with The Hardys winning the ROH World Tag Team Titles, but it never came back up. In hindsight, they probably should've put everything on the second half in the first half, and moved Scurll/Dutt, Ospreay/Dragon Lee, The Young Bucks/Rush & White, and The Young Bucks/Hardys to the second half.

As for the pre-show stuff, there was a triple threat match with Jenny Rose, Mandy Leon, & Sumie Sakai (which was solid) and the two Semi-Final Matches in the Top Prospect Tournament that were taped for TV. One of them was just ok, but the other one was actually pretty good, and I'd say it was probably the best match of the tournament (I won't say who because I forget what's aired and what hasn't aired yet as far as the first round goes, but if you've seen the bracket, I'm sure you can figure out who I'm referring to).