Can a case be made for a 3rd Jay Briscoe title reign?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Can a case be made for a 3rd Jay Briscoe title reign?

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

With what appears to be instability at the top of the roster, due to contract issues and lack of top stars, is a 3rd title reign for Jay Briscoe out of the question? The reason I ask is because with the reports of Cole bolting in April, his title reign has an expiration date (dropping it to Christopher Daniels at 15 YA as I have been surmising). Daniels is nothing more than an interim champ. Being that this is the 15 Year Anniversary, a feud for the title between Daniels and Briscoe kind of writes itself. When Elgin fucking flopped as champ, Delirious wasted no time putting the belt back on Jay. I still think the majority of the masses are still suffering from Jay Lethal Singles Title Stranglehold, so I don't think they are throwing the belt back on him. Jay is one of the most over guys and can use this reign to position some of the younger guys on the roster to main event status. His feud with Page was really good (Delirious fucked up the follow through with Page on that). Also has no problem selling an important match or feud as he is one of their best promo guys.

While I am not particularly pro or con on this, recent events have had me questioning what the plans are for the World Title scene this upcoming calendar year.
King of Indy Style

Re: Can a case be made for a 3rd Jay Briscoe title reign?

Post by King of Indy Style »

I wouldn't mind it. I'm not gonna hop on board a Briscoe reign right away, but Briscoe certainly is one of their best options. He can talk his ass off, he's damn good in the ring, and he's a goddamn badass. Sure guys like Lethal give off that "Champion" vibe when you see him, but when you see Jay Briscoe walking out there, mean mugging, you think "oh shit, someone's about to get their ass kicked!"
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:I wouldn't mind it. I'm not gonna hop on board a Briscoe reign right away, but Briscoe certainly is one of their best options. He can talk his ass off, he's damn good in the ring, and he's a goddamn badass. Sure guys like Lethal give off that "Champion" vibe when you see him, but when you see Jay Briscoe walking out there, mean mugging, you think "oh shit, someone's about to get their ass kicked!"
I know what you mean man. I have always liked Jay as a worker. He's not a 5 star guy, but he's good at what he does. He plays the bad ass role really well. His ring work has an aura of authenticity with the snap on his punches or neck breakers. Him being champ again, while not ideal, may be a necessity at this point.

Side note: I was shocked years ago at the Frontier Fieldhouse to find out I had a height advantage over Jay Briscoe when I was in line at the urinals and he walked by us.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

He's a better option than Daniels.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

If you like underwhelming world title matches then I guess you could make the case.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

can see him again on the top but in the future

he is awesome.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote:If you like underwhelming world title matches then I guess you could make the case.
But you're missing the point. Who would you elevate then? Dijak? Page? Castle?

And man I hate to tell you, but underwhelming world title matches are the norm for ROH now. The days of Nigel and Danielson are long gone. Arguably, you can make a case that Steen vs. Elgin is the closest thing to the last 5 star match that ROH had.
Last edited by Mr. Mojo Risin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Dijak has the look and credible wrestling skills, but is he top guy material yet? Eh.

Page? No.

Castle? Maybe. He'd certainly get people talking, good or bad.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

JTCole wrote:Dijak has the look and credible wrestling skills, but is he top guy material yet? Eh.

Page? No.

Castle? Maybe. He'd certainly get people talking, good or bad.
I agree, although its questionable whether Castle is even ready.

Its easy to shit on the idea of Jay as champ again, but right there, look at the options and there's not a whole hell of a lot of choices.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i think dijak is a future world champ...if he stays.
King of Indy Style

I'd rather see Scurll with the World Title before Dijak or even Castle imo
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Ospreay or Skurll as champ certainly isn't a bad idea.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:I'd rather see Scurll with the World Title before Dijak or even Castle imo
Oh fuck yeah. For sure.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Ospreay is indeed a bad idea.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

SweetDaddy wrote:Ospreay is indeed a bad idea.
why?
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

I am not in favor of this.

I cannot think of any possible matches with Jay as champion again that are interesting to me, at least on paper.

You raise of good point about "new stars" and I think you could really create one (or a few) with a title run on an unexpected talent (this is in the event Cole needs to drop the title sooner than expected or Christopher Daniels does not get a title win and run).

The timing on the Decade of Excellence Tournament and the sudden title switch certainly makes the whole situation messier than it should have likely been.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:If you like underwhelming world title matches then I guess you could make the case.

And man I hate to tell you, but underwhelming world title matches are the norm for ROH now. The days of Nigel and Danielson are long gone. Arguably, you can make a case that Steen vs. Elgin is the closest thing to the last 5 star match that ROH had.
I disagree that underwhelming world title matches are the norm now. None of Cole's defenses were underwhelming (I haven't seen the Field of Honor match, but with the talent involved I can't possibly imagine that it didn't deliver), and when Lethal was actually given the time and not encumbered by bad booking, he never failed to deliver, either.
As for who I would elevate, from what I've seen of him recently elsewhere, Dijak certainly could be elevated (perhaps being given a manager who isn't a total joke might help. Unfortunately, ROH has none of those left now that Truth and Stokely are gone), and also use the house shows to let him actually develop some promo skills. As bad as Roddy was on the mic back then, Gabe and Pearce always let him talk, and as a result he's become a passable promo.
Fish could certainly be stuck right there as the world champion and would deliver on a regular basis. Scurll, too. Also Daniels. Actually, a heel Scurll taking the belt from a babyface Daniels would sound pretty great if that wouldn't require us to then have three short title reigns in a row (arguably four, based on the usual ROH standards). Alex Shelley could also deliver on a consistent basis if given the time (and he has showed that he can do this in his singles matches since his return).
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Oh hell no!!! Those two reigns were terrible in terms of in-ring work. I'd prefer Scurrl, Opsreay or Tanahashi.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
King of Indy Style

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:

I disagree that underwhelming world title matches are the norm now. None of Cole's defenses were underwhelming (I haven't seen the Field of Honor match, but with the talent involved I can't possibly imagine that it didn't deliver
I hated the Field of Honor match. Everyone was in autopilot and it felt like a glorified tag match. Was supremely disappointed.
Jay Lethal's Hair

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:Oh hell no!!! Those two reigns were terrible in terms of in-ring work. I'd prefer Scurrl, Opsreay or Tanahashi.
In his second reign, the match with Joe (***3/4) and title change with Lethal (****) speak otherwise, at least in my viewing. I've never heard a critique that Jay is a bad worker.