Christopher Daniels-ROH World Champion. Why not?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Thomas Bobo

Re: Christopher Daniels-ROH World Champion. Why not?

Post by Thomas Bobo »

Thelone wrote:Except no one gives a shit about Kazarian and Cody Rhodes.
Perhaps Kazarian, but I guarantee you are wrong about Cody or there would not be so many different groups still bringing him in. I mean, PWG, the hardest of hardcore fan promotions is having him back. That is more mind blowing than anything to me.

I digress, however, because that is not the intent of this reply.

Be your feelings (and those of others perhaps) as they may be, isn't it up to ROH and the creative to get us invested and care in the talent?

Shouldn't matter who it is on the roster. If you are building a brand and building a roster that you expect to be the "best" and to draw TV ratings, PPV buys, merch sales, house show ticket sales, then you need to be investing in them to MAKE people care.

I feel like it could be done, especially with what I suggested off the cuff.
leenie426

Post by leenie426 »

Brada wrote:
SweetDaddy wrote:I'm for ol' boy getting his run for sentimental value but he's not champ material of the #2 company in America.
Agreed. Sorry to rain on your parade Mojo, but Daniels in a singles PPV Main Event has about the same chance of happening as a Cena heel turn.
Brada you're about to go 0-2 ... Daniels will be in the World Title match at the Anniversary PPV
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

What can make this such a compelling storyline for Daniels on his quest for his last shot at the ROH World title: redemption. In the twilight of his career, Daniels is not the dishonorable heel from the company's inception. Its the perfect bookend to an incredible career. Daniels honorably trying to capture the gold title that has eluded 15 years.

I feel that this would not work for pretty much any other wrestler, but Daniels can still go in the ring and call a good match. Top that off with his superb mic skills and this is a storyline that will be better than most people think.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

leenie426 wrote:
Brada wrote:
SweetDaddy wrote:I'm for ol' boy getting his run for sentimental value but he's not champ material of the #2 company in America.
Agreed. Sorry to rain on your parade Mojo, but Daniels in a singles PPV Main Event has about the same chance of happening as a Cena heel turn.
Brada you're about to go 0-2 ... Daniels will be in the World Title match at the Anniversary PPV
Ominous foretelling for the defending Pick Em's Champion.
Brada

Post by Brada »

leenie426 wrote:
Brada wrote:
If that is the case then I'm off to a REAL rough start in 2017
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Thelone wrote:Except no one gives a shit about Kazarian and Cody Rhodes.
But Kazarian turning on Daniels would temporarily cause to them to care, I think. It would only last as long as that feud, and I honestly don't think Kaz would have much value after that feud and he would be a nice salary to cut, so I'd say to go for it and to get some value out of Kaz (although I'd probably have Daniels win and then have Kaz turn on him out of jealousy in order to both avoid a another dirty finish in a world title match and also to make it easier to rush to Kaz's departure by having him lose his first title shot against Daniels, then offer to put his ROH career on the line for the second, where he can lose and then be done with the company).
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Between this and the promo at the beginning of last week's episode, let the foreshadowing begin.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I could see it.

Just don't want to.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I guess I have completely lost touch with the pulse of the product. You guys are right. He is in the main event at the PPV.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Congratulations to Christopher Daniels on his accomplishment. A first ballot HOF'er who deserves this moment more than anybody in wrestling right now. It's a feel good moment that we haven't really had since Danielson won the WWE Championship.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Man, the ending of that match pure perfection. It may have been overbooked, but it played so well into the story of the wily old veteran and the cocky young champion. The moment Kazarian came out there I KNEW that he'd reveal it was all a ruse, but I still popped big time. A perfect way to cap off one of my favorite ROH feuds in a good while.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It will be interesting to see where Daniels goes from here, will he be a pure babyface, will he be a tweener or just go full blown heal again, with Daniels emotion is going to have to be key in this matches as his talent will only take him so far in the ring.

I feel this is where making really clear lines of bad guy, good guy are going to have be so right if you want to make Daniels a draw as champ. I did kind of think maybe have him just suffer "injury" after "injury" not so he can't continue but as though climbing to the mountain was much more than his body could take and now it's just about hanging on. I think it's something that despite being real, actually helped Nigel, the emotion, the pain the suffering really brought out the crowd and him in his matches and bringing out the crowd for Daniels is what he needs.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

BurningHammer wrote:It will be interesting to see where Daniels goes from here, will he be a pure babyface, will he be a tweener or just go full blown heal again, with Daniels emotion is going to have to be key in this matches as his talent will only take him so far in the ring.

I feel this is where making really clear lines of bad guy, good guy are going to have be so right if you want to make Daniels a draw as champ. I did kind of think maybe have him just suffer "injury" after "injury" not so he can't continue but as though climbing to the mountain was much more than his body could take and now it's just about hanging on. I think it's something that despite being real, actually helped Nigel, the emotion, the pain the suffering really brought out the crowd and him in his matches and bringing out the crowd for Daniels is what he needs.
Insightful and something I hadn't thought of before. Crowd can turn on Daniels quickly if this title reign lasts too long as I agree that the emotion aspect of this has limited mileage. Could see Daniels pulling a CM Punk (about using the fans to get to the ROH World Title) and totally turning on the fans at some point. Has the promo skills to make it interesting for sure as he was one of the Top 3 in this category last year.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Daniels manipulating the fans' emotions and saying he used them to get the title is such a Daniels thing to do, and it'd make some truly, truly compelling promos. Now I hope it happens.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:It will be interesting to see where Daniels goes from here, will he be a pure babyface, will he be a tweener or just go full blown heal again, with Daniels emotion is going to have to be key in this matches as his talent will only take him so far in the ring.

Insightful and something I hadn't thought of before. Crowd can turn on Daniels quickly if this title reign lasts too long as I agree that the emotion aspect of this has limited mileage. Could see Daniels pulling a CM Punk (about using the fans to get to the ROH World Title) and totally turning on the fans at some point. Has the promo skills to make it interesting for sure as he was one of the Top 3 in this category last year.
Yeah I could certainly see that, and that is something for some reason I had completely forgotten about. I think if you could really build on him being the peoples champ for a bit before you do it I think the pay off will be excellent but you are going to have have someone with that compelling babyface nature to really balance it out. I would say Lethal but he just doesn't need it at the moment, maybe Castle but to me he just isn't ready, one major shot in the dark could be Ospreay it would be a massive change of pace for ROH but if there ever was a time to take a shot in the dark with someone with great talent now is the time. You maybe even able to work Kazarian and Marty into it as well, say Ospreay is getting a beating and out comes Marty to make the save and you can than have tag matches and also another caviet for Marty and Kaz for the TV title.

In a way it would be nice to just have a pure champ, I kind of need a bit of a break from a heel champ so If we can just have a good win for a while it would be nice but that's just me.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Mojo...

I owe you an apology sir. I crapped all over your idea of Daniels becoming champion. I really missed the boat on this one.

When I saw the Daniels crying promo, I was even more against the idea, very underwhelmed to say the least.

I watched the show with someone "in the know" that told me before hand how the match was going to play out. I have to admit, it was pulled off brilliantly from a story telling standpoint. I thought Daniels was REALLY REALLY good. The 3 BME's to end it was a nice touch after the Kaz swerve.

I am man enough to admit my mistakes, and boy was I wrong on this one.

Mojo, again, I have plenty of crow to eat......

I'm kicking around ideas to pay my dues with a video proclaiming my stupidity.

Stay tuned.

Hope you marked out the other night watching and it was enjoyable for ya.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Brada wrote:Mojo...

I owe you an apology sir. I crapped all over your idea of Daniels becoming champion. I really missed the boat on this one.

When I saw the Daniels crying promo, I was even more against the idea, very underwhelmed to say the least.

I watched the show with someone "in the know" that told me before hand how the match was going to play out. I have to admit, it was pulled off brilliantly from a story telling standpoint. I thought Daniels was REALLY REALLY good. The 3 BME's to end it was a nice touch after the Kaz swerve.

I am man enough to admit my mistakes, and boy was I wrong on this one.

Mojo, again, I have plenty of crow to eat......

I'm kicking around ideas to pay my dues with a video proclaiming my stupidity.

Stay tuned.

Hope you marked out the other night watching and it was enjoyable for ya.
It's all good, man. We're cool. I know you never had any malicious intentions. If we all agreed on everything this forum would be pretty fucking lame.

Aside from that, Cary handling Daniels the old ROH title was a total mark out moment. A small part of me wonders if Daniels reads this forum, because I loved the fact he hit the 3 BME's in a row. It reminded me of how significant it was for him to beat Joe and he dispatched of him the same way.
85Live

Post by 85Live »

I feel that this reign will be much like homicides...more about the victory, and not the reign in itself. So that poses....whos next? Who can take it off Daniels? I say Castle but face vs face, especially in a place like ROH leaves such a "meh" taste in my mouth. Id hate to see Daniels go heel after all that work with kaz outsmarting the bullet club. Almost seems a heel needs to be the transitional champ before face Omega wins it. Just my opinion. But who ACTUALLY has heat? Thats one thing about ROH and their fans ive always hated. Even the "heels" get the golf clap and "respect"... and anyone whos a true "heel" is boring and downplayed. I hear the term XPAC Heat so much and it drives me crazy. Let a heel be a heel. If we, as fans were so "smart", wouldnt we want to boo the heels so theres more emotional investment from the normal casual fans to actually boo and see the heels lose?

Gosh I miss Jimmy Rave. Still think HE should have been the transitional champ from Homicide to Morishima....maybe Homicide to Rave to Nigel? I feel that would have played into the Rave and NIgel angle....full circle. Sorry. old tangent and rant.

Kudos Daniels!
marcgeo13

Post by marcgeo13 »

Wasnt as good as hardys/vice/bucks but still a great performance by both.