How the hell do you book Jay Lethal for the next 2 years?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

How the hell do you book Jay Lethal for the next 2 years?

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Suggestions?

Another run with the ROH World title? No thanks.

Another run with the TV title? Nope. Not interested. Castle or about 10 other guys deserve a run with it. Additionally I am in no hurry to see Scrull drop it.

So what's left? The tag titles. I am perplexed as to who tag him with. He has been solo for so God damn long (and no, Los Ingernobles doesn't count) nothing organic comes across as other than being forced to see him win the tag titles just for the fuck of it.

Yep. Most likely looking to be booking purgatory for Lethal the next 2 years. Willing to hear opinions to prove me otherwise.
Brada

Re: How the hell do you book Jay Lethal for the next 2 years

Post by Brada »

I don't see how he doesn't get another world title run in the next 2 years. Look at it from this perspective, who is on the roster now, that is main event ready NOW, that would hold the title over the next 2 years.

Adam Cole? He could be gone in a few months, depending on who you believe.

Bobby Fish? I would put him in this category, but there are some that wouldn't.

Jay Briscoe? Put me in the been there done that section with him....

Kyle O'Reilly? IF he stays around, we have already been shown that he gets it for a cup of coffee, nothing more.

There are a slew of capable younger guys, but within the next 2 years? Not sure, just not sure.

So from that standpoint, I don't see how Lethal doesn't get another run with it at some point.

Just my opinion.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Ah, so what I am inferring here is that Delirious is incapable of creating new stars and a second Lethal reign is by default and not status as a 5 star wrestler. I wouldn't say Lethal is better in the ring than Styles, Owens, Nakamura, Okada, or Edwards. Problematic.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I once heard in a past life that a company's best hand should be its champ.

If that's the case then he should be the champ.

Turn him back heel and let him do his thing.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

SweetDaddy wrote:I once heard in a past life that a company's best hand should be its champ.

If that's the case then he should be the champ.

Turn him back heel and let him do his thing.
I am in favor of putting him heel again for sure. Good suggestion.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

If I were to go into detail on it, I'd feel like I'm wasting my time, but in short there are a lot of ways to use him.

For one, if he isn't pissed at Cody for what he did at Final Battle, then he's an idiot, so to protect one of your top guys have him get a win back on Cody. After that, whoever is champion should have Lethal on their toes, either he chases and takes back the title, it goes to his head and he turns, or he becomes frustrated and turns before he can win it back.

At some point, Truth Martini is coming back. When he does he should either reunite with Lethal or have it out for Lethal, for turning his back on him and the House of Truth. While Truth was lying in a hospital bed recovering from surgery, Jay Lethal was busy throwing away everything Truth taught him. It could be a long term feud if booked right, but even if it takes up a couple of months, Lethal vs. a new HOT is probable.

If Lethal stays a face and Bullet Club keep running house, at some point you'd think the "ROH stalwarts" will form to take them down a peg or two. How it hasn't been more invested in is beyond me. The names on each side are actually interesting and people want to see them and we haven't had a Steel Cage Warfare in almost three years, with the last being... meh. Bullet Club vs. Ring of Honor in SCW is the way to go for me.

Have him feud with an up and comer or a number of up and comers. He's essentially the gatekeeper now, he has a ton of history in ROH, when he was 19-years-old he was part of Special K, now you have guys like Lio Rush trying to take the spotlight. Have a younger guy try make a name for themselves by getting one over on Lethal. Again, you can turn him a number of ways here, either he becomes frustrated with the younger guys trying to get one over on him or they successfully get one over on him and he snaps.

In all, tons of way to go with him. Tons.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I had an idea recently of turning Lethal heel and putting him with The Kingdom, but that probably won't go over to well...
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote:If I were to go into detail on it, I'd feel like I'm wasting my time, but in short there are a lot of ways to use him.

For one, if he isn't pissed at Cody for what he did at Final Battle, then he's an idiot, so to protect one of your top guys have him get a win back on Cody. After that, whoever is champion should have Lethal on their toes, either he chases and takes back the title, it goes to his head and he turns, or he becomes frustrated and turns before he can win it back.

At some point, Truth Martini is coming back. When he does he should either reunite with Lethal or have it out for Lethal, for turning his back on him and the House of Truth. While Truth was lying in a hospital bed recovering from surgery, Jay Lethal was busy throwing away everything Truth taught him. It could be a long term feud if booked right, but even if it takes up a couple of months, Lethal vs. a new HOT is probable.

If Lethal stays a face and Bullet Club keep running house, at some point you'd think the "ROH stalwarts" will form to take them down a peg or two. How it hasn't been more invested in is beyond me. The names on each side are actually interesting and people want to see them and we haven't had a Steel Cage Warfare in almost three years, with the last being... meh. Bullet Club vs. Ring of Honor in SCW is the way to go for me.

Have him feud with an up and comer or a number of up and comers. He's essentially the gatekeeper now, he has a ton of history in ROH, when he was 19-years-old he was part of Special K, now you have guys like Lio Rush trying to take the spotlight. Have a younger guy try make a name for themselves by getting one over on Lethal. Again, you can turn him a number of ways here, either he becomes frustrated with the younger guys trying to get one over on him or they successfully get one over on him and he snaps.

In all, tons of way to go with him. Tons.
Like the Lio Rush angle. Rush can learn a lot from Lethal.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

Based on his history in ROH, Lethal in a gatekeeper role is probably really good.

Will it be fulfilling to the fanbase? Likely not, but I really could see Lethal (and to a greater extent Christopher Daniels - but that is a different topic) being the talent to "make" and establish guys in ROH for the better part of the next 2 years.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

So far all good suggestions. I seriously had a brain cramp trying to figure out what the fuck to do with the guy. He had a monopoly on the 2 singles titles for an extended period of time.

On the other hand, some posters on here were not happy with this decision to re-sign Lethal. I was attempting to have them answer this question and none have bit.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

this thread is weird...
WHG

Post by WHG »

If I were Delirious I'd bring back Truth and either have him manage a new HOT hell-bent on destroying Lethal for abandoning him...or rebuild Lethal for another title run in about a year and have Truth return to help him & turn him heel again.

I know people weren't high on his title reign, but his Briscoe and Cole programs were the best ROH builds & TV of the past couple years. I credit Lethal for making those stand out and I'd put him back on top somehow before his contract is up.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Personally, I LOVED both of Lethal's reigns. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Lethal getting another World Title run. He's proven he can deliver in big matches and he is one of the best promos that they have as well. I'd also be interested in a throwback to him and Samoa Joe, when Lethal was Joe's apprentice. I would put a younger guy with Lethal as Lethal's student, to learn from him. They could win the Tag Titles after a while, and then ultimately lead to a big feud, in the vein of Zybysko (sp) and Sammartino, or to a lesser extent, Steen and Generico.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

monster mafia wrote:this thread is weird...
What's so weird about it? I'm just asking fellow members to post their thoughts on how to book Lethal over the next 2 years. Not the type of contract ROH usually hands out. Lethal seems to my observations at least, draw polar opposite reactions here. Some guys love him, some guys think he's overrated. This thread was created to have both sides objectively book how Lethal would be used over the next 2 years. For guys bitching about Lethal re-signing, I wanted them to get over it and put their brains into creative mode with what they would do if they were booker.

Lethal, to me at least, presented an unusual booking issue. The Young Bucks just won the tag titles recently. Their re-signing doesn't present too many booking issues as there is plenty to do with them as champs. Likewise, Christopher Daniels is the most intriguing storyline for the re-signed guys as his current opponent isn't in the ring, rather an unbeatable opponent, time. Whitmer is in another category of disappointment as he has become a complete caricature of what he once was.

I hope this clarifies the intent of this thread.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

WHG wrote:If I were Delirious I'd bring back Truth and either have him manage a new HOT hell-bent on destroying Lethal for abandoning him...or rebuild Lethal for another title run in about a year and have Truth return to help him & turn him heel again.

I know people weren't high on his title reign, but his Briscoe and Cole programs were the best ROH builds & TV of the past couple years. I credit Lethal for making those stand out and I'd put him back on top somehow before his contract is up.
I like the HOT angle being used in a slow burn. Could pay big dividends for either outcome.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:Personally, I LOVED both of Lethal's reigns. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Lethal getting another World Title run. He's proven he can deliver in big matches and he is one of the best promos that they have as well. I'd also be interested in a throwback to him and Samoa Joe, when Lethal was Joe's apprentice. I would put a younger guy with Lethal as Lethal's student, to learn from him. They could win the Tag Titles after a while, and then ultimately lead to a big feud, in the vein of Zybysko (sp) and Sammartino, or to a lesser extent, Steen and Generico.
I am going to steal TDS's idea of Lio Rush and insert him in this angle. I would like this program.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Lethal is my favorite wrestler going followed by Tetsuya Naito.

Let Lethal be a Ric Flair level heel champ.

He's the best hand in the company.

I met him at BITW in Charlotte and he grabbed my 2 year old son and put the strap on his shoulder.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Easy, I wouldn't.

But hey, good for him for conning ROH to overpay him like he's this god-tier talent even though no one made a fucking move to sign him.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Thelone wrote:Easy, I wouldn't.

But hey, good for him for conning ROH to overpay him like he's this god-tier talent even though no one made a fucking move to sign him.
If this was anyone else, I would have been irritated. You make me laugh my fucking ass off so I am glad to see you kept this within your insights that only you are known for.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
monster mafia wrote:this thread is weird...
What's so weird about it? I'm just asking fellow members to post their thoughts on how to book Lethal over the next 2 years. Not the type of contract ROH usually hands out.
If we can't ask questions as innocuously posed by the title then we basically don't have a forum.

Jay Lethal had definitely disappointed me in 2016, performing in underwhelming matches in NJPW and being the victim of an aloof booker as well as a released manager. In 2017 and beyond I think I want to see him put back into the TV Title scene, being what Nakamura was to the Intercontinental Title. He wins the title, perhaps main events shows with it, elevates the title, drops it, challenges for the World Title, goes back to the TV Title, and so on. He's a good enough worker that you would want him near singles belts often.

Though as a babyface, I don't think seeing him main eventing PPVs is what I want anymore.