How the hell do you book Jay Lethal for the next 2 years?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: How the hell do you book Jay Lethal for the next 2 years

Post by monster mafia »

so lethal is bad because wwe dont sign him?

what a stupid statement.

he needs to elevate young talent just like daniels or the briscoes...he is great and im glad he stays.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

You're right, this is a stupid statement because I never said such a thing. You did though so make up your own conclusion.

Anyway, I just find it hilarious that ROH threw bags of money and a long term contract to some dude no one else wanted to actually sign apparently, not even TNA. Once again though, good for him for milking the shit out of his horrendous reign of terror and make people think he's this amazing talent everyone is dying to get.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

As good as Lethal is for someone to hate on him like that has to have a tad of racism involved in it.

He's as good as anyone in the world and this comes from someone who watches wrestling religously.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Pfff, wow, that's impressive to miss the mark this badly.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Its impressive sir that you're missing the mark so badly.

So then if Lethal is dogshit then who in fact are you impressed by?

Please don't say a spot monkey like Ospreay or someone with the personality of a brick wall like O'Reilly.
WHG

Post by WHG »

TNA would absolutely have wanted Lethal if he'd have been willing to go. Bob Ryder was on TNA Mecca last year publicly saying they'd like to sign him.

Lethal is an interestingly polarizing talent. I get it...I was really bored by him until his heel turn and he became one of my favorites. He's absolutely capable of being a top guy and works a style that he can likely sustain into his 40s. I see his ceiling as higher than Adam Cole's, tbh.

Reports were that, although the WWE didn't hire him, Regal wanted to a year ago and pushed to make it happen.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Thelone wrote:You're right, this is a stupid statement because I never said such a thing. You did though so make up your own conclusion.

Anyway, I just find it hilarious that ROH threw bags of money and a long term contract to some dude no one else wanted to actually sign apparently, not even TNA. Once again though, good for him for milking the shit out of his horrendous reign of terror and make people think he's this amazing talent everyone is dying to get.
he makes money
you complain
he makes money
you complain.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

SweetDaddy wrote:As good as Lethal is for someone to hate on him like that has to have a tad of racism involved in it.

He's as good as anyone in the world and this comes from someone who watches wrestling religously.
In defense of Thelone, he is an equal opportunity critic of anything wrestling. While he is most assuredly not everyone's cup of tea, I am always entertained by his posts and if you analyze his thoughts objectively, his abrasiveness has more logic behind it more often than not. Emotionally you might not agree with the guy, but inferring that he has racist undertones is presumptive.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
SweetDaddy wrote:As good as Lethal is for someone to hate on him like that has to have a tad of racism involved in it.

In defense of Thelone, he is an equal opportunity critic of anything wrestling. While he is most assuredly not everyone's cup of tea, I am always entertained by his posts and if you analyze his thoughts objectively, his abrasiveness has more logic behind it more often than not. Emotionally you might not agree with the guy, but inferring that he has racist undertones is presumptive.
entertained why?
WHG

Post by WHG »

Thelone is a confirmed anti-lizardite.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Um... no. Not it doesn't. I don't like Tomohiro Ishii very much. Many other people do? Am I now a racist? Is someone anti-Semitic for disliking Cabana or Dar or Goldberg? And we must assume that all of the people criticizing O'Reilly and Elgin as being bland are clearly xenophobic, as the whole "bland" thing is just a cover for their dislike of Canadians, right? Unless that person is Canadian themselves, in which case their criticism is just a cover for their nationalism, being angry at them for abandoning their home country.

Perhaps before you post such allegations, you should at least do some checking to make sure that Thelone has never made any posts supporting black wrestlers, as he has done many times in the past. At least that would show some level of thought.

SweetDaddy wrote: He's as good as anyone in the world and this comes from someone who watches wrestling religously.
I, too, watch wrestling religiously (it's the only possible explanation for why I still watch Impact, and I don't think Jay Lethal is anywhere near as good as you make him out to be. He's a great wrestler and ROH should do their best to keep him around, but let's not pretend that he's AJ Styles or Kazuchika Okada or Samoa Joe here.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I come in peace truthfully and I was only able to read this site for about a month before I had to post.

As good of rasslin discussion as I've seen on the net so Ill apologize for saying that.

As far as where Lethal ranks in the world Ill give an honest opinion.

Remember that we all judge wrestlers differently (charisma, looks, in ring ability, etc).

I'm also only familiar with NJPW, ROH, TNA, WWE, and LU.

Okada, Naito, Styles, Nakamura, Orton, Cena, Ziggler.

I just named 7 and I'd also add Punk in there so there's no way he's not top 10 going in the world.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

SweetDaddy wrote:I come in peace truthfully and I was only able to read this site for about a month before I had to post.

As good of rasslin discussion as I've seen on the net so Ill apologize for saying that.
Well, I'm glad you backed off from your original comment. I can look past the occasional comment borne of sensationalism. Please just be aware that sometimes off-the-cuff remarks can be quite vicious.

And Jay Lethal is more of a top ten in ROH than a top ten in the entire industry. We might be living in the greatest glut of talent ever.
Brada

Post by Brada »

SweetDaddy wrote:Its impressive sir that you're missing the mark so badly.

So then if Lethal is dogshit then who in fact are you impressed by?

Please don't say a spot monkey like Ospreay or someone with the personality of a brick wall like O'Reilly.
I for one am interested in his answer to this question.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Wilson wrote:
SweetDaddy wrote:I come in peace truthfully and I was only able to read this site for about a month before I had to post.

Well, I'm glad you backed off from your original comment. I can look past the occasional comment borne of sensationalism. Please just be aware that sometimes off-the-cuff remarks can be quite vicious.

And Jay Lethal is more of a top ten in ROH than a top ten in the entire industry. We might be living in the greatest glut of talent ever.
Wilson, I respect your role as a moderator here, I really do. I think you are MORE than fair with EVERYONE here. With that, I think you are in the wrong for disregarding Sweet Daddy's assessment of Jay Lethal.

I read it as if you are dismissing his opinion because you have relegated Jay Lethal's ability/performance to that of only top 10 worthy in ROH only??

Come on now brother, is that how you REALLY see Jay Lethal and what he has done in his body of work? My God, if that is genuinely true, what does he have to do to garner more favorable reviews from you?

Jay Lethal is WITHOUT QUESTION one of the top 2 or 3 performers in ROH and borderline top 10 in the world, henging on personal preference in style and presentation. The guy is MONEY on the stick and in ring psychology. As good as it gets.

I understand everyone has different likes and preferences, that's the point in the forum, but it seems that most like to bury the opposing opinions in attempt to strengthen their own.

Not an attack on Wilson here at all, just using his statements as point of reference because I feel that he won't take it personally.

Just my 2 cents.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Perhaps I’m letting dark moods creep into my responses with other people here, but I don’t think I was that far off on Lethal. I wouldn’t say he would be top ten if he were in New Japan—in competition with the likes of Naito, Omega, Okada, Tanahashi, Ishii, KUSHIDA, Ricochet, Shibata, Takahashi, Kojima, SANADA—nor in the WWE—amongst talent like Styles, Nakamura, Zayn, Hero, Cesaro, Cena, Rollins, Owens, Samoa Joe, Asuka, Balor, Lesnar.

I think he would definitely make the top ten in ROH, but not in my de facto top three, which are Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, and Adam Cole. I think he earns a great spot as number four in relation to the company, which is impressive when accounting for wrestlers like Jay Briscoe, Daniels, Ospreay, Scurll, Fish, White, and Rush.

I haven’t been doing it in recent history, but I have defended Lethal in the past, especially in 2015 to early 2016. His performances in NJPW were genuine blemishes that are difficult for me to look past, even as a proponent of him and his place in ROH.

Also, there is a lot of great talent being given great opportunities in the world today. The competition is very fierce.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I'm a big fan of Lethal's work, but I don't see him as a Top 10 wrestler in the world. However, he's number one in ROH, IMO. I feel like Lethal has finally become THE MAN in ROH. People love him and he always deliver. People on the internet always complain about Lethal, but he has been the most over wrestler in ROH for the last year and a half/two years. Crowd always chanted him "Best in the World" during his reign (being a heel) and now, as a face, he always get the biggest pop of the night.

Adam Cole & Bucks No. 1 in ROH? I don't think so. Bullet Club sells a lot of merch, I can buy you that Bucks/Lethal are Top 3 in ROH, but Cole? After the past two years? His promos are good (not as great as they used to be) but in-ring... meh. His reign as champion (from an in-ring perspective) has been one of the worst I remember. I only liked his matches with Lethal, in London, and Silas, in Florida. He has potential, but I don't see Cole as great as everybody say. Good wrestler, he can have great matches with the right oponent, but Is he No. 1 in ROH? Is he as good in-ring as he used to be? No.
Jay Lethal's Hair

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

SweetDaddy wrote: Let Lethal be a Ric Flair level heel champ.

He's the best hand in the company.
I like Lethal a lot, and I get where you're coming here, but wasn't this essentially his last title run?

I'm in no hurry to see that again, even though I did like him in the role and promo-wise on top. I thought he made the best out of what they gave him in ROH. (Note: not including NJPW work as champ there as that was putrid stuff - his title defense against Honma was a low point for the year)
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Some of the people Wilson mentioned as better than Lethal are downright F'n laughable.

Qualifications for moderator around here must not include actual knowledge of wrestling or you're judging them on a totally different scale than I am.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Yeah, there is absolutely no way that John Cena is a better worker than Jay Lethal. That's laughable.