How the hell do you book Jay Lethal for the next 2 years?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: How the hell do you book Jay Lethal for the next 2 years

Post by Wilson »

SweetDaddy wrote:you're judging them on a totally different scale than I am.
That’s probably it.

Out of curiosity, who would their being better than Lethal be found downright fucking laughable?
King of Indy Style wrote:Yeah, there is absolutely no way that John Cena is a better worker than Jay Lethal. That's laughable.
You don’t have to take my opinion all that seriously, but what of all the people in the industry that respect him as a worker? Surely his long list of great matches proves that he is pretty capable, no?

It’s not the most sophisticated experiment, but replace Lethal with Cena in each of the former’s New Japan matches last year. You don’t think that each match would have been improved?
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I'm no Cena fan so I don't have a dog in it but I am a Lethal fan and I promise you he'd trade his career for Cena's.

Wrestlers are about making money and winning straps and very few all time have been better than Cena at that.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

As far as the wrestlers on Wilson's list that I find laughable Ill say Ishii, KUSHIDA, Ricochet, Shibata, Sanada, Zayn, Owens,Asuka, and Cole.

You also have to remember that we all probably use a different scale.

I still think looks,charisma, and mic skills matter.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

The Briscoes and Yound Bucks don't count.

They're tag teams or nothing other than maybe Jay Briscoe.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote:
That’s probably it.

Out of curiosity, who would their being better than Lethal be found downright fucking laughable?
King of Indy Style wrote:Yeah, there is absolutely no way that John Cena is a better worker than Jay Lethal. That's laughable.
You don’t have to take my opinion all that seriously, but what of all the people in the industry that respect him as a worker? Surely his long list of great matches proves that he is pretty capable, no?

It’s not the most sophisticated experiment, but replace Lethal with Cena in each of the former’s New Japan matches last year. You don’t think that each match would have been improved?
I am going to side with Wilson. If you look at the flip side of the equation was Lethal/Styles better than Cena/Styles? Nope. Cena is not a 5 star guy, but his grasp on crowd psychology is a lot better than people give him credit for.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

lethal/styles was fucking great.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

monster mafia wrote:lethal/styles was fucking great.
I didn't say it wasn't. Overall, Cena/Styles at SummerSlam was better in my opinion.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Wilson wrote:
That’s probably it.

I am going to side with Wilson. If you look at the flip side of the equation was Lethal/Styles better than Cena/Styles? Nope. Cena is not a 5 star guy, but his grasp on crowd psychology is a lot better than people give him credit for.
For me, Styles vs Lethal was, by far, a better match than Cena vs Styles at SS. Cena vs Styles established AJ as a top guy in WWE, but from an in-ring persepective, I think their feud had two dissapointing matches. His match at SS was just finishers and kick-outs. Cena's big matches have always the same formula. I won't say that Lethal is bigger than Cena, but I don't think Cena is THAT great. His best ME performance, btw, was against Bryan at SS '13. And you know, he was against Bryan F'n Danielson. It's almost impossible to have a bad match with him.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

It’s not the most sophisticated experiment, but replace Lethal with Cena in each of the former’s New Japan matches last year. You don’t think that each match would have been improved?[/quote]

I am going to side with Wilson. If you look at the flip side of the equation was Lethal/Styles better than Cena/Styles? Nope. Cena is not a 5 star guy, but his grasp on crowd psychology is a lot better than people give him credit for.[/quote]

For me, Styles vs Lethal was, by far, a better match than Cena vs Styles at SS. Cena vs Styles established AJ as a top guy in WWE, but from an in-ring persepective, I think their feud had two dissapointing matches. His match at SS was just finishers and kick-outs. Cena's big matches have always the same formula. I won't say that Lethal is bigger than Cena, but I don't think Cena is THAT great. His best ME performance, btw, was against Bryan at SS '13. And you know, he was against Bryan F'n Danielson. It's almost impossible to have a bad match with him.[/quote]

Agreed 1000%. That is the reason I hate Cena, and hate his matches. It's just him and his opponent doing shit for the sake of doing shit. Big move, kickout at 2, repeat. It's the same shit over and over and over, but because there's kickouts at 2, and finisher kickouts, people go apeshit and think they're the best stuff ever. That's why I hated his US Open Challenges, and one of the main reasons I stopped watching WWE over a year and a half ago.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

What have I done?

I don’t want to really have the Cena conversation—other people can and have done it better than I can—but I’ll briefly chime in. Just the past few years alone Cena has shown that he can have great matches, against people like Owens, Cesaro, Rollins, Lesnar, and Styles. Before then he had great matches with Michaels, Bryan, Punk, Edge, JBL, HHH, Umaga, and Lashley. He’s really good, and his the crowd’s investment into his character adds to matches.

Lethal is also really good. I think he is the most consistently solid singles wrestler on the roster (at least working in an ROH ring). His match with Styles is probably my favorite World Title match since Elgin/Steen. If not that then it’s Roderick/Lethal at DBD. If not that then it might be Briscoe/Lethal.