Dumbest Booking Decisions in wrestling history

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
FanSinceHDNet

Re: Dumbest Booking Decisions in wrestling history

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Lesnar v. Goldberg isn't on that list at all. Got mainstream media coverage, hid their weaknesses, and set up a future match or matches that people want to see. People complain about 50/50 booking but it started a feud off hot. That's going to draw money.

My pick is not pulling the trigger on giving Windham the belt in 1991 and then transitioning it to Luger aka "Let's Fire Flair Instead of Making a Difficult Decision".

I'd also say that some of the feuds Triple H was in from 2002 through 2003 where he didn't show his ass at all despite some over the top stuff he was doing (Katie Vick, racist undertones v. Booker T.) probably hurt long term.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Katie Vick....completely forgot about that one.......definitely list worthy....
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

FanSinceHDNet wrote:Lesnar v. Goldberg isn't on that list at all. Got mainstream media coverage, hid their weaknesses, and set up a future match or matches that people want to see. People complain about 50/50 booking but it started a feud off hot. That's going to draw money.

My pick is not pulling the trigger on giving Windham the belt in 1991 and then transitioning it to Luger aka "Let's Fire Flair Instead of Making a Difficult Decision".

I'd also say that some of the feuds Triple H was in from 2002 through 2003 where he didn't show his ass at all despite some over the top stuff he was doing (Katie Vick, racist undertones v. Booker T.) probably hurt long term.
Totally agree with the call not to put the belt on Windham as dumb. Injuries slowed him down a step from his awesome work rate from 1987-1989, but he could still go. Having Sting chase Windham instead of Luger would have helped the company so much. Windham would have made Sting look like a million bucks. Indeed a terrible call.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Windham could make anyone look good. That guy could definitely go. Seems like he could only go so high though, they would never push him all the way to the top.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Brada wrote:
supersonic wrote:The 2015 Royal Rumble Match
Was that the one that came down to Del Rio and Santino?
No, that was 2011. The 2015 Royal Rumble match was the """"""big"""""""""""" win for Roman Reigns. When they eliminated quick Daniel Bryan, Big Show and Kane were unstoppable forces and The Rock came to do his thing. Aggg, I think that was the first time #CancelWWENetwork was TT.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Yeah, that Runble was suspect.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

You forgot

I'd throw in Eddie Guerraro unmasking all the luchadores and forming the LWO. Even if Eddie hadn't been injured, what they hell were they going to do with that. They were already jobbing everyone but Rey, as evidenced when they killed an angle with weeks of build in less than 5 minute span in the middle of the show one night as an afterthought.

EDIT: as to the Nikita booking, I remember it back in the day at the time and it made perfect sense (for having to be improvised) Nikita had run his course as a heel, especially since Magnum was his arch nemesis and gone forever from wrestling in the ring. He was the logical choice to take Magnum's place on the face roster and someone had to.

And in hindsight, his days as a top draw were numbered in any case. Once his wife contracted Hodgkins and died, he lost the fire for wrestling. He might have come back, but you could tell he wasn't the same.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Silly me. GWF, which aired on ESPN around 91-93 had an angle around a wrestler afraid of heights that culminated in a...bungee cord match

The also had a masked wrestler named the Viper imply he was the recently released Jake Roberts. Nah, it was just old 'Maniac' Mike Davis. An angle which pleased not a single soul.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

DBSommer wrote:You forgot

I'd throw in Eddie Guerraro unmasking all the luchadores and forming the LWO. Even if Eddie hadn't been injured, what they hell were they going to do with that. They were already jobbing everyone but Rey, as evidenced when they killed an angle with weeks of build in less than 5 minute span in the middle of the show one night as an afterthought.

EDIT: as to the Nikita booking, I remember it back in the day at the time and it made perfect sense (for having to be improvised) Nikita had run his course as a heel, especially since Magnum was his arch nemesis and gone forever from wrestling in the ring. He was the logical choice to take Magnum's place on the face roster and someone had to.

And in hindsight, his days as a top draw were numbered in any case. Once his wife contracted Hodgkins and died, he lost the fire for wrestling. He might have come back, but you could tell he wasn't the same.
Jesus, I totally forgot about the Rick Steiner feud with Chucky and with good reason.

I agree with you about the Nikita Koloff booking. Fuck he was such a beast as a heel. When Dusty decided to turn him face I thought it was brilliant booking as it was a logical leap in character. You are correct when his wife died he had no motivation to be out in the ring. Even when he came back and turned heel against Sting he had no piss and vinegar at all. At that time I thought when that turn happened we would get that beast back. But no. Nikita monster heel, particularly the Magnum feud, were only destined to be etched in our memories for a particular moment in time.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Oh I remember that Burried Alive match between Taker and Kane at Bragging Rights 2010. I remember how The Nexus attacked Undertaker and helped Kane. And then... yeah, Kane was still champion, Taker was burried alive and The Nexus died. Next show, everybody acted like nothing happend, Why the fuck they did that? It didn't make any sense.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

Putting Diesel over Backlund in 8 seconds at a house show was always mind boggling to me.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

Putting Diesel over Backlund in 8 seconds at a house show was always mind boggling to me.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

trufreedom wrote:Putting Diesel over Backlund in 8 seconds at a house show was always mind boggling to me.
Holy fuck! Trufreedom is back!

Yeah, I agree. The Kliq at its finest hour here.
Brada

Post by Brada »

trufreedom wrote:Putting Diesel over Backlund in 8 seconds at a house show was always mind boggling to me.
They wanted to get to the bar quick.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The Diesel over Backlund part, the house show part, the eight seconds part, or all of it?
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Cena beating Lesnar at Extreme Rules 2012 for some stupid fucking reason