NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 Official Live Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
King of Indy Style

Re: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 Official Live Thread

Post by King of Indy Style »

Damn shame all around. I was excited to see O'Reilly get a run as Champion. What a screwup with all parties.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Can't come to terms with KOR on a contract, fine. You telling me you can't book him for Atlanta for him to come drop the strap on YOUR OWN DAMN SHOW??

He loses the title, and you make ZERO dollars from it. Real smart.
Brada

Post by Brada »

So what is next for Adam Cole?

I know he gets the tournament winner in Vegas....which I am guessing will be either Lethal or Jay Briscoe. Both of those matches have been done a number of times already. Hard to get excited for either one of those. Not saying the match wouldn't be good, because obviously it would be. I just can't see another months long program invested into a match up with either of those 2.

I think it's time for Bobby Fish to step up as the next serious threat.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Brada wrote:So what is next for Adam Cole?

I know he gets the tournament winner in Vegas....which I am guessing will be either Lethal or Jay Briscoe. Both of those matches have been done a number of times already. Hard to get excited for either one of those. Not saying the match wouldn't be good, because obviously it would be. I just can't see another months long program invested into a match up with either of those 2.

I think it's time for Bobby Fish to step up as the next serious threat.
next will be christopher daniels..is a "fresh" choice.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Yup, I think Daniels wins the tournament. I wasn't sold on it before, but now that Cole is Champion I see them going that route, especially since Lethal and Briscoe vs. Cole, while excellent, has already been seen multiple times.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Maybe I am wrong, I just can't see Daniels as a main event player anymore....hope I am wrong.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Daniels never has been a main event player. If you're building around him it shows how far ROH has fallen. This forum is fretting over the potential loss of a man with the personality of Braun Strowman (O'Reilly) though so I shouldn't be stunned that some want CD in the main event picture.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Brada wrote:To be clear, if the change was due to being backed into a corner from a contractual stand point, then I get it.

If the idea was to put the strap on KOR, thinking that would satisfy him with his storyline direction complaint, then I'm fine with that too, in terms of the "greater good", I get it.

Not trying to argue with you at all WHG, but I don't think Cole winning it back at the Tokyo Dome in a match that is placed early on the card is "history making" at all. In fact, I think it somewhat is a slap in the face to the entire ROH-NJPW relationship to begin with.

If they did "promise" KOR the title, and waited until Final Battle to give it to him, with no guarantee that he was going to re-sign, well then that is EVEN more effing retarded than having Cole win it back at WK11.

IF that was the case, and you didn't think KOR would re-sign, let Cole go over in some screw job like fashion, or better yet, have him go over clean, proclaim his dominance as ROH champ, then (in true NJPW fashion, since everyone is on their junk these days) give someone else a rub and have a new challenger come out to lay the ground work to challenge Cole. That would have been a great spot for Fish had he not had to miss the show due to a death in his family.

IF the idea was for this to be the plan since the summer as Rovert claims, meaning this was the idea even without contract negotiations being in question, well that is straight up STUPID, IDIOTIC, RIDICULOUS in my opinion. So dumb in fact, that if that was the case, time to clean house from a creative standpoint and hand the reigns over to someone else.

Wilson, ear mark this for next years awards....throw this one in the "this has got to be a joke" category
Brada

Post by Brada »

SweetDaddy wrote:Daniels never has been a main event player. If you're building around him it shows how far ROH has fallen. This forum is fretting over the potential loss of a man with the personality of Braun Strowman (O'Reilly) though so I shouldn't be stunned that some want CD in the main event picture.
While KOR might not have the mic skills that a World Champ should probably possess, he is a hell of a talent in the ring. I can't see anyone arguing that. For that reason alone, it is a big loss for ROH moving forward. A loss they CAN recover from, but a loss nonetheless.
rovert

Post by rovert »

Thelone wrote:The mere thought of this "being the plan all along" sounds so ludicrously awful that I can't possibly buy it. I can understand the idea of doing the rematch as soon as possible so it's out of the way and we can all move on, but it's not like #TheKyleMan was so hot that you HAD to give him the belt even for a nothing reign.

Frankly, I'd say there's more to this billionth Elgin meltdown than just him bitching about his students not getting booked and lack of communication on ROH's part.
Nope it was the plan I've been pretty open about it. When the plan was first made it was before ROH adding the four months of injury time to Cole's contract. Meaning his Cole would be up December 31st like Kyle.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

rovert wrote:
Thelone wrote:The mere thought of this "being the plan all along" sounds so ludicrously awful that I can't possibly buy it. I can understand the idea of doing the rematch as soon as possible so it's out of the way and we can all move on, but it's not like #TheKyleMan was so hot that you HAD to give him the belt even for a nothing reign.

Frankly, I'd say there's more to this billionth Elgin meltdown than just him bitching about his students not getting booked and lack of communication on ROH's part.
Nope it was the plan I've been pretty open about it. When the plan was first made it was before ROH adding the four months of injury time to Cole's contract. Meaning his Cole would be up December 31st like Kyle.
Dude you stuck to your guns about this and earned my respect. Most of the posters thought that this title change was not going to happen in a million years. You opened an account and quite frankly from the amount of heat you took, didn't engage in a pissing contest with these guys. You didn't have to do any of this.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Brada wrote:Can't come to terms with KOR on a contract, fine. You telling me you can't book him for Atlanta for him to come drop the strap on YOUR OWN DAMN SHOW??

He loses the title, and you make ZERO dollars from it. Real smart.
This is what drive me nuts about it. Like... couldn't they get Kyle to just sign an agreement that he would appear with them through the PPV so he could drop the belt there? And if their problem was that he wasn't resigned then they shouldn't have ever put the belt on him before he resigned. Crap like this kills any appeal Kyle had (and I do think he had a lot) and I think it buries the title as well. ROH World Title reigns are supposed to be important- or at least have a purpose. A change and change back with no defenses does not have a purpose. Kyle is a fantastic wrestler and I was 100% behind him as a babyface, but he wasn't Homicide or James Gibson where they were that much-beloved and uber-hot where it would have been terrible for him to never win the belt.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I've a feeling ROH's stand on it was, "Wrestle Kingdom's a huge show, it would look good for the history books and large portion of our fan base wouldn't see it coming". Then in-turn it would probably make them look in a good light to New Japan because now some people will go out of their way to watch WK11 which means some numbers signing up to NJPWorld. I can see why they thought it was a good idea, but yeah, it would have been better on an ROH show.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The Dragon Saga wrote:I've a feeling ROH's stand on it was, "Wrestle Kingdom's a huge show, it would look good for the history books and large portion of our fan base wouldn't see it coming". Then in-turn it would probably make them look in a good light to New Japan because now some people will go out of their way to watch WK11 which means some numbers signing up to NJPWorld. I can see why they thought it was a good idea, but yeah, it would have been better on an ROH show.
They can't possibly think that having their title change in the f*cking midcard of the Toyko Dome in a ten minute match would "look good for the history books." At least I really hope they don't think that way. That's just... so completely the wrong way to think about your world title.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

I wanted to know is
When ROH title changes at non-ROH show last time.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

is wrestle kingdom guys...is WK. perfect stage for a tittle change.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

ICHIFUJI wrote:I wanted to know is
When ROH title changes at non-ROH show last time.
This is the first time.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Daniels main eventing the 15th Anniversary would be fitting. 15 years is a milestone and the man was in the company's first msin event.
Brada

Post by Brada »

monster mafia wrote:is wrestle kingdom guys...is WK. perfect stage for a tittle change.
Wrestle Kingdom doesn't mean jack shit in the scope of what is MOST important to Ring of Honor, making money.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Big Red Machine wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:I've a feeling ROH's stand on it was, "Wrestle Kingdom's a huge show, it would look good for the history books and large portion of our fan base wouldn't see it coming". Then in-turn it would probably make them look in a good light to New Japan because now some people will go out of their way to watch WK11 which means some numbers signing up to NJPWorld. I can see why they thought it was a good idea, but yeah, it would have been better on an ROH show.
They can't possibly think that having their title change in the f*cking midcard of the Toyko Dome in a ten minute match would "look good for the history books." At least I really hope they don't think that way. That's just... so completely the wrong way to think about your world title.
AMEN BROTHER. Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a fan of your work.