Kyle O'Reilly not signed

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: Kyle O'Reilly not signed

Post by Wilson »

The Dragon Saga wrote: O'Reilly is a loss, Ray Rowe and War Machine are a loss, but compared to the "devastation" that yourself and others prophesized was no more than a couple of scratches to the face which will heal in a matter of weeks.

Hyperbole in wrestling "media" or "insiders" is why many fall on their faces more often than not.
Keep in mind that the doom-and-gloom hubbub also has roots in its general business practices, namely that there are people on staff that allegedly liaise like jerks and evidently book like jerks.

Generally, I agree with you that the numerous re-signings are a positive, healthy direction for the roster, especially with the level of competition there is today at ROH’s level. However, I just can’t look past the spate of uninspired or just misguided creative decisions. Learning that the O’Reilly/Cole title exchange was premeditated for months in advance was such a hard pill.

Even being generous to the talent on the roster and the windfalls that fall into the company’s lap despite itself, the product’s shortcomings are practically becoming too much to acutely defend. And, all that aside, I haven’t even delved into the horrifying business-aggressions directed toward the internal staff last summer, which are always extremely difficult to compartmentalize, even as just a fan.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Wilson wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote: Learning that the O’Reilly/Cole title exchange was premeditated for months in advance was such a hard pill.
I'm still calling garbage on this. I just can't see ANYONE in their right mind, who has creative control of a company, thinking this is a good idea. Hell, I can't even see Russo signing off on a deal like this.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I'm so disillusioned at this point that I just wouldn't put it past Johnston. I’m leaning toward it being the hard, dark truth, even without various peoples backing up the account.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Not arguing with you by any means, you could be spot on for all either of us know. If you are right, WOW, that is so damn incredibly stupid in my opinion that I can't even defend the company I have really liked since I first stumbled across more than 12 years ago....
Brada

Post by Brada »

Now that has me thinking about the absolute dumbest booking decisions I have ever seen.....time for a new thread.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

BTW for those of you on twitter, would definitely want to get your vote on this poll about how you'd use Kyle O'Reilly if he was coming into your promotion https://twitter.com/pwponderings/status ... 4001742848
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

This title change effectively killed, mutilated, destroyed, annihilated, any credible chance of Kyle O'Reilly contending for the World title in ROH ever again. He has usurped the title of worst ROH champion ever from either Xavier or Jerry Lynn depending on who you talk to. He should have taken a shitty contract rather than have that distinction. Bad ROH World champions are tainted goods man.
Brada

Post by Brada »

lol, he definitely tops that list now.
Brada

Post by Brada »

This entire time of me bitching about the whole WK11 title change....I didn't realize that O'Reilly IS APPEARING in Atlanta. Oh my god, that pisses me off even more now. WHY not have him drop it there?? SO DAMN STUPID.
Brada

Post by Brada »

You think there would EVER be an IWGP title change of ANY kind on a ROH show? I have a better chance of winning the effing lottery than that happening.
rovert

Post by rovert »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
rovert wrote:People are doing the TNAMecca thing of spinning every loss as no big loss then.
Two full-time guys, a woman who has managed like 8 different people and someone who barely appears.

O'Reilly is a loss, Ray Rowe and War Machine are a loss, but compared to the "devastation" that yourself and others prophesized was no more than a couple of scratches to the face which will heal in a matter of weeks.
Also Corino and McGuinness. ACH came early but he was a new year departure contract wise. I don't recall calling it a "devastation". But keep down playing the departures.
The Dragon Saga wrote:Hyperbole in wrestling "media" or "insiders" is why many fall on their faces more often than not.

Or you are seemingly incapable of separating serious statements from HEAVY handed jokes.
rovert

Post by rovert »

Brada wrote:
Wilson wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote: Learning that the O’Reilly/Cole title exchange was premeditated for months in advance was such a hard pill.
I'm still calling garbage on this. I just can't see ANYONE in their right mind, who has creative control of a company, thinking this is a good idea. Hell, I can't even see Russo signing off on a deal like this.

Not a fan of the practice but I can screencap DMs you really want from that time period.
Brada wrote:This entire time of me bitching about the whole WK11 title change....I didn't realize that O'Reilly IS APPEARING in Atlanta. Oh my god, that pisses me off even more now. WHY not have him drop it there?? SO DAMN STUPID.
I wouldn't expect him at that show. He personally hasn't promoted/acknowledged his appearance at the time of this post.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

rovert wrote:
I wouldn't expect him at that show. He personally hasn't promoted/acknowledged his appearance at the time of this post.
One of the biggest matches of the show is Cody & Cole vs Lethal & Kyle, so, I think, maybe Kyle will appear and get destroyed by the Bullet Club in his final day, just like they did with Bennett last year in Philly.
WHG

Post by WHG »

My guess is the Atlanta booking was a favor for following through and giving him the title win before he left. Unless he's extremely bitter, I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to show up to one last show to be written off TV.

That said, why would he be compelled to go out of his way to promote it? He's always had a pretty low-key, more social twitter account than most wrestlers. He's never been big on retweets and promoting his dates.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

he is very normal on social media so ...
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

WHG wrote:My guess is the Atlanta booking was a favor for following through and giving him the title win before he left. Unless he's extremely bitter, I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to show up to one last show to be written off TV.

That said, why would he be compelled to go out of his way to promote it? He's always had a pretty low-key, more social twitter account than most wrestlers. He's never been big on retweets and promoting his dates.
Yeah, just looking through his tweets: the last tweets at any wrestlers or wrestling personalities were at Ricochet, Andy Dalton, and... Ian Riccaboni. He seems to be a relatively low-key twitter user. For what it's worth, the ROHWrestling.com article about Cole winning the title lists O'Reilly appearing in Atlanta, also.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Not a fan of the practice but I can screencap DMs you really want from that time period.

Sorry Rovert, I didn't mean that to come across as a shot at you. It was meant as "damn, i just can't believe they would make a decision that damn stupid"....
rovert

Post by rovert »

WHG wrote:My guess is the Atlanta booking was a favor for following through and giving him the title win before he left. Unless he's extremely bitter, I don't see why he wouldn't be willing to show up to one last show to be written off TV.

Fair. But he's dealing with a personal situation that puts that booking in doubt is all I am saying. ROH didn't announce Fish's non-participation at Final Battle until just prior to the billed four way.
Brada wrote: Sorry Rovert, I didn't mean that to come across as a shot at you. It was meant as "damn, i just can't believe they would make a decision that damn stupid"....
They wanted a happy ending for Final Battle and hoped both would re-sign when the decision was made.
Brada

Post by Brada »

lol....here Kyle, we will give you a cup of coffee with the title you have been chasing for a year. We will let you have a total of ZERO successful defenses........hey, and while we got you here, how about re upping for 2 years??

:lol:
WHG

Post by WHG »

All I'm saying is without knowing his personal situation...which I've only seen vaguely referred to in the PWTorch story...I see nothing to indicate that he won't be on the show. Obviously if it's something like dealing with a parent's death like Fish, we'll then of course he might not make it.

Not sure if it's been discussed anywhere but the VOW podcast said that O'Reilly is working New Beginning in February. Surprised me because his exit at New Year Dash looked a bit like a goodbye.

One thing I haven't really seen discussed is how much effect, if any, this title win and drop booking decision actually played into Kyle wanting to leave. Like, had they approached him with a plan for a title reign for most of 2017 as most assumed they were doing, would it have made a difference?