Kyle O'Reilly not signed

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Kyle O'Reilly not signed

Post by cgstong »

What do you think of Kyle O'Reilly, ROH World Champion not being signed to a deal? According to Sean Radican at the Torch:

"According to multiple sources, O’Reilly has still not signed a new ROH deal and there has been no indication that a deal is close to being reached by both sides at the moment. According to one source, ROH management is operating under the assumption that O’Reilly will sign and a deal will get done.

The main issue here is that with no deal in place between both sides in terms of either a concrete new deal for O’Reilly or even a per-date agreement made between him and ROH to work the date as a freelance talent, what will happen if both sides don’t strike a per-date deal or come to an agreement on what would presumably be a new exclusive long-term deal? Nothing has changed in the negotiations since the match was announced over a week ago.

It is expected that headliner Jay Lethal will sign a new deal in the near future as he has been advertised for ROH dates in 2017, but it is still up in the air as to whether O’Reilly and his tag team partner Bobby Fish will sign new deals. One source familiar with the negotiations noted that ROH management needs to start getting things executed in terms of securing contracts and not operating under the assumption that these pending free agents will sign new deals.
"

Credited Article
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
KL_

Re: Kyle O'Reilly not signed

Post by KL_ »

I'm not saying that it's not true, but can we be 100% sure that these sources are fully reliable ? Never lose hope   Let's hope O'Reilly will re-sing :)
WHG

Post by WHG »

Fish & O'Reilly have been traditionally slow to re-sign and we've had the "the sides are no closer to a deal and aren't even talking" story last year at this time and it wasn't until well into January they officially signed. They obviously want him and I think he's going to try to find and use as much leverage as he can. I'm hopeful he'll re-sign, but you never know. Putting the title on him without a deal didn't help their negotiating position.

Either way, I take the media and podcast reports with a grain of salt because I feel like they've been intentionally used in prior negotiations with reDRagon.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

KL_ wrote:I'm not saying that it's not true, but can we be 100% sure that these sources are fully reliable ? Never lose hope   Let's hope O'Reilly will re-sing :)
When it comes to news I only trust four sources:

Wrestling Observer
PW Torch
Prowrestling.net
PWInsider

Everything else I don't even bother with. I wouldn't post it if it wasn't from one of these four. I know all of them have their bias's and faults but given their track record I find them to be the most trust-worthy.
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

The stories out there about Kyle leaving are so laughable given that this latest updates states that ROH management expects him to re-sign. Ofcourse Kyle is going to give indications that re-signing is not a sure thing. He knows that will get the company to pay him more money.

This world title scenario people throw out there makes zeromsense. First, why even give the title to Kyle in the first place if he's likely leaving? Then, why would New Japan want to feature a match on their big show with one or two guys supposedly WWE bound? Why even go back to Cole and make him a three time champ if he's also supposedly on his way out in a few months? Why waste the world title on people who are supposedly on their way to the opposition? If this stuff was really legit then it would've made most sense for Cole to retain at Final Battle and then lose at the tapings the next night to someone who is staying long term.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I'm taking bets....O'Reilly re-signing announcement at next TV's..................any takers?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Roque11 wrote:The stories out there about Kyle leaving are so laughable given that this latest updates states that ROH management expects him to re-sign. Ofcourse Kyle is going to give indications that re-signing is not a sure thing. He knows that will get the company to pay him more money.

This world title scenario people throw out there makes zeromsense. First, why even give the title to Kyle in the first place if he's likely leaving? Then, why would New Japan want to feature a match on their big show with one or two guys supposedly WWE bound? Why even go back to Cole and make him a three time champ if he's also supposedly on his way out in a few months? Why waste the world title on people who are supposedly on their way to the opposition? If this stuff was really legit then it would've made most sense for Cole to retain at Final Battle and then lose at the tapings the next night to someone who is staying long term.
The stories that Kyle leaving are not that laughable: he has not re-signed. If Kyle’s inclination has not yet been all but confirmed, then I don’t see any reason for reports to speculate on the point.

Kyle was booked against Cole at Final Battle because it was ROH’s best match. There must be a more nuanced argument for it, but one can draw a simple case of him winning as Kyle’s character needing to not lose and as a potential bargaining chip for him to re-sign. There’s really not enough to indicate which position Kyle will take up, which these reports have effectively illustrated.

Even if Kyle does not re-sign, I imagine the title switch won’t be in the favor of the moribund Cole at Wrestle Kingdom.

If one wants to talk broadly on the state of ROH, one has to honestly review the glaringly unsettled roles of O’Reilly, Fish, and Cole. There’s a lot to lose, especially now, if a majority of those talents don’t re-sign.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I don't know what to think. Cole winning at WK would be a bad move, you know, ROH has been building Kyle as ROH World champ and he will loose the title at his first defense. But, in other hand, if Kyle is leaving, Cole is the only guy I see as a credible world champion in ROH.

Kyle not being booked for the Undisputed Legacy and Honor Reigns Supreme shows is weird. They are putting on great cards without the current champion. Some people say that Kyle will be at the Destruction Tour with NJPW, but, why Adam Cole, Hangman Page, Cody and The Young Bucks would stay in ROH and not Kyle O'Reilly? The only logical answer is that Kyle is going to sign an exclusive deal with NJPW and he's going to be in a big match.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so dumb if kyle left roh.
Seosi

Post by Seosi »

Well, he is the ROH champion, so I would like to assume that they do have some sort of deal.
@seositw
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

Wilson wrote:
Roque11 wrote:The stories out there about Kyle leaving are so laughable given that this latest updates states that ROH management expects him to re-sign. Ofcourse Kyle is going to give indications that re-signing is not a sure thing. He knows that will get the company to pay him more money.

The stories that Kyle leaving are not that laughable: he has not re-signed. If Kyle’s inclination has not yet been all but confirmed, then I don’t see any reason for reports to speculate on the point.

Kyle was booked against Cole at Final Battle because it was ROH’s best match. There must be a more nuanced argument for it, but one can draw a simple case of him winning as Kyle’s character needing to not lose and as a potential bargaining chip for him to re-sign. There’s really not enough to indicate which position Kyle will take up, which these reports have effectively illustrated.

Even if Kyle does not re-sign, I imagine the title switch won’t be in the favor of the moribund Cole at Wrestle Kingdom.

If one wants to talk broadly on the state of ROH, one has to honestly review the glaringly unsettled roles of O’Reilly, Fish, and Cole. There’s a lot to lose, especially now, if a majority of those talents don’t re-sign.
These people are talking like Kyle is already confirmed to be out the door. If he is then there was no reason to protect his character. ROH wants to be a destination, not a stepping stone. There's no reason to protect anybody that has one foot out the door and ready to walk into the competition.

If Kyle signs full time with New Japan then that means he will still appear for ROH. Even if there's concern with him not being on every show the New Japan relationship means they wouldn't have to rush to have him drop the title and devalue it by booking these quick, meaningless title changes. The Bucks signed with the the understanding that they will continue to split time between the two companies. Elgin only left due to disagreemenst bstween himself and the office.

Kyle does the same thing every year where he holds out longer than most, then ROH comes through with a good enough offer and he re-signs. It's all about leverage. He can be really hot in ROH and New Japan in 2017. He's not going to go to WWE where he'll be another Drew Gulak or TJ Perkins.
Last edited by Roque11 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Roque11 wrote:
These people are talking like Kyle is already confirmed to be out the door. If he is then there was no reason to protect his character. ROH wants to be a destination, not a stepping stone. There's no reason to protect anybody that has one foot out the door and ready to walk into the competition.

If Kyle signs full time with New Japan then that means he will still appear for ROH. Even if there's concern with him not being on every show the New Japan relationship means they wouldn't have to rush to have him drop the title and devalue it by booking these quick, meaningless title changes. The Bucks signed with the the understanding that they will continue to split time between the two companies. Elgin only left due to disagreemenst bstween himself and the office.
Agree that it's overly hyperbolic to think this is the end BUT the point of talking about it is that we would criticize TNA or WWE if they did this, have to be fair and do the same to ROH when it's the same situation. Also signing a NJPW deal doesn't mean that he will appear for ROH. It's two different things though they are both used as leverage by both offices.
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

cgstong wrote:
Roque11 wrote:

Agree that it's overly hyperbolic to think this is the end BUT the point of talking about it is that we would criticize TNA or WWE if they did this, have to be fair and do the same to ROH when it's the same situation. Also signing a NJPW deal doesn't mean that he will appear for ROH. It's two different things though they are both used as leverage by both offices.
Peoplet appear from New Japan all the time. Juice Robinson will be at the next show in Atlanta. ROH, New Japan , CMLL and another company to be named have joined forces for the purpose of having talents shift back and forth. This is all to combat WWE and their expansion efforts.

It doesn't matter what WWE and TNA would do in situations since there is not a legit situation here with ROH. I know these wrestling twitter personalities like to get all cute with all this mystery and cryptic talk. When they do this it usually implies that someone is WWE bound, but this is not going to happen with this situation. They're just people who want WWE to own everything in wrestling and they have these weird vendettas against ROH and Delirious.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Though I agree with you on some points, I think you are somewhat delving into waters that I can’t follow. Having said that, yes, there are compulsory, destruction-happy wrestling “fans” that one should not pay attention.

The realest information that we have so far is that ROH is approaching 2017 without, among others, Cole, Fish, or O’Reilly as guaranteed contractors. Soon we'll know more, and the conspirators can go home because the real, post-event reporting and analysis leaves them powerless.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Roque11 wrote:
Wilson wrote:

Kyle does the same thing every year where he holds out longer than most, then ROH comes through with a good enough offer and he re-signs. It's all about leverage. He can be really hot in ROH and New Japan in 2017. He's not going to go to WWE where he'll be another Drew Gulak or TJ Perkins.
Pretty sure he'd be OK being in Perkins spot at least.
Brada

Post by Brada »

O'Reilly isn't going anywhere. Still taking bets.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

At one time I thought Cole was a goner but I'm not so sure anymore. I need to look no further than Kenny Omega for insight. In a recent interview he chastised the WWE for "signing people just to sign them". It makes me wonder if Cole is really interested in trying to muscle his way into a very bloated roster. He's young. The Young Bucks just re-signed. Gedo loves him. By storyline standards he is a relatively new member of Bullet Club where members are not arbitrarily thrown into the group for short periods of time.

O'Reilly isn't going anywhere either. KUSHIDA has, rightfully so, a death grip on the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title. I don't think Gedo has any aspirations to use him in the heavyweights. What the fuck is he going to do?

All this bullshit about Kyle dropping the title is irrelevant. So what if he drops it? He hasn't exactly had a compelling storyline to have the masses rally behind him. And that sucks because he's a really good wrestler. That's why I think with Gedo's influence on ROH booking Cole wins it back at Wrestle Kingdom with Bullet Club interference.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I agree with Mojo on Cole. My assumption for 2 years was he was gone when his contract was up...but if there's one talent I could see them overpaying to keep it'd be Cole. From his perspective he'd have an interesting choice to make. I think
Omega & the Bucks give him some reason to at least think about it if the money is right. He's still so young.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I agree that Cole wins it back, but I just don't see it happening in NJPW.

Why would you spend months investing your main event program for the culmination in the guy that has been chasing the strap forever, getting screwed over time and time again, to win it on the biggest stage in your promotion.....

Then follow it up with..................................dumping it on another show that the majority of your fan base won't see to begin with?

That's not good business at all in my opinion. KOR retains at WK11.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I really have to wonder what the buy rate for ROH PPVs/iPPVs is versus the amount of ROH fans who follow NJPW (either via NJPW World or the AXS TV show).

I would wager that there is a lot of overlap. A wrestling fan who is spending money on ROH PPVs is pretty likely to watch Wrestle Kingdom in one way or another. They're going to show the event across four weeks on the AXS TV show, and they run commercials for that show on ROH TV every week.