Kyle O'Reilly not signed

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Jay Lethal's Hair

Re: Kyle O'Reilly not signed

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

So Meltzer is definitely wrong then with his insinuation that had O'Reilly re-signed he would have retained at Wrestle Kingdom?

I completely get O'Reilly wining the belt and them hoping he'd stay while still having a number of "outs" if he declined.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I have to think that had he re signed before WK11 he would have retained....
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Conversely, we should have seen the writing on the wall when Fish won SOTF. I don't think there was any long term booking plan to have reDRagon beat the shit out of each other over the ROH World title.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Conversely, we should have seen the writing on the wall when Fish won SOTF. I don't think there was any long term booking plan to have reDRagon beat the shit out of each other over the ROH World title.

Son of a bitch! This just made me realized that Fish vs. O'Reilly isn't happening. Dammit.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

They could have done Fish vs. O'Reilly as a friendly, "lets just see whose the better man" angle, but had they completely broken reDRagon up they were screwing themselves over. reDRagon are in The Briscoes league of being an ROH made, top tier tag team that people want to see.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote:They could have done Fish vs. O'Reilly as a friendly, "lets just see whose the better man" angle, but had they completely broken reDRagon up they were screwing themselves over. reDRagon are in The Briscoes league of being an ROH made, top tier tag team that people want to see.
Totally agree. Major downside of O'Reilly not re-signing is no more reDRagon, in ROH at least, for the foreseeable future. Bummer. They are such a well oiled tag team it's a crime if we've seen the last of them.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

King of Indy Style wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Conversely, we should have seen the writing on the wall when Fish won SOTF. I don't think there was any long term booking plan to have reDRagon beat the shit out of each other over the ROH World title.

Son of a bitch! This just made me realized that Fish vs. O'Reilly isn't happening. Dammit.
I was really, really looking forward to this match. I think they could have done something really special.

On another note, even without re-signing, does anyone believe they continue to use Kyle is a freelance role? That allows him freedom to work where he wants and also have a role in ROH.

I think there is a place for him, but ROH may have hard feelings over him choosing to not re-sign and thus job him out.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Thomas Bobo wrote:
King of Indy Style wrote:

I was really, really looking forward to this match. I think they could have done something really special.

On another note, even without re-signing, does anyone believe they continue to use Kyle is a freelance role? That allows him freedom to work where he wants and also have a role in ROH.

I think there is a place for him, but ROH may have hard feelings over him choosing to not re-sign and thus job him out.
I would imagine that Kyle would have to agree not to work TNA and the WWN/ FloSlam promotions. Outside of that he could work for small time indies , however at this point in his career that would really be a waste of his time.. I think the end game for Kyle is either the WWE or a new ROH/NJPW combo deal .
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

The best thing about O'Reilly or Fish is Redragon.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

Memphis Mark wrote:
Thomas Bobo wrote:
King of Indy Style wrote: Son of a bitch! This just made me realized that Fish vs. O'Reilly isn't happening. Dammit.

I would imagine that Kyle would have to agree not to work TNA and the WWN/ FloSlam promotions. Outside of that he could work for small time indies , however at this point in his career that would really be a waste of his time.. I think the end game for Kyle is either the WWE or a new ROH/NJPW combo deal .
Signing with WWE makes the point moot...but beyond that clearly by Kyle not signing it is a matter of ROH being in a position of choosing to use him without "contractual control" or not at all.

I don't see him at all going to TNA, but he seems like a great fit for anything that WWN does.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I think Fish vs. O'Reilly would have been a lot like Davey vs. Eddie.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Are we sure Kyle's not going to take the Elgin route and sign with NJPW and possibly do ROH here and there like Big Mike did in 2016.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

dhads7161 wrote:Are we sure Kyle's not going to take the Elgin route and sign with NJPW and possibly do ROH here and there like Big Mike did in 2016.
I still think this is what's going to happen regardless of what anybody has said this past week. It's either ROH or New Japan and he'll cross over from one to the other.

Why would someone like him even go to Florida Sports at this stage of his career? He's at his peak now and going with Flo would be a waste. They might be able to offer good money, but in a way it's like some one putting their career in the hands of TNA. It's like why sign with a brand over ROH, New Japan or WWE that still has a lot to prove and you still don't know what the future holds. Do we even know how many subs Flo has so far and they still haven't hooked up with bigger name companies. Flo is the best option for younger talent or vets just now starting to get a buzz.

Ofcourse, the whole WWE talk is still the biggest joke of all.
JShmoopy

Post by JShmoopy »

I can't see O'Reilly in WWE. He doesn't have a great or unique look, he's not good (mediocre at best) on the mic, and he doesn't have much charisma. I just can't see him having much success outside of ROH/NJPW. He does good work in the ring, and ReDragon is one of my favorite tag teams, but I just don't see "IT" in O'Reilly.

These same things have been said about others and they improved and got to WWE or wherever they wanted to go, but at this moment, I see O'Reilly as a jobber in WWE and that's if he would ever leave NXT.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

Kyle is a pro wrestler and a legit combat fighter, not a sports entertainer. He's not going to pick WWE over New Japan/ROH.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Roque11 wrote:Kyle is a pro wrestler and a legit combat fighter, not a sports entertainer. He's not going to pick WWE over New Japan/ROH.
I wonder what Brock Lesnar would think of this.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Also O'Reilly kinda sucks at this "i'm such a badass" schtick. I always feel like #TheKyleMan is going to burst into tears whenever he's trying to be all "GRRR, I'M SUCH A NO-NONSENSE KILLER !!!". People seem to forget that his best run in the company was when he was a smarmy asshole with Fish.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Thelone wrote:Also O'Reilly kinda sucks at this "i'm such a badass" schtick. I always feel like #TheKyleMan is going to burst into tears whenever he's trying to be all "GRRR, I'M SUCH A NO-NONSENSE KILLER !!!". People seem to forget that his best run in the company was when he was a smarmy asshole with Fish.

Gotta agree on this. I just haven't been captivated by Kyle in a singles role. He's a great talent and I watching him wrestle, but I haven't had any real desire to see him as World Champion. I was interested and hoped it'd at least lead to good matches but as we know, that won't be the case. ReDRagon was certainly a great team but I was much more invested in Fish's TV Title run than Kyle's stuff.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Holy shit, Thelone actually made a productive post that I agree with.

I feel like I need a shower.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

NJPW have just confirmed cards for the New Beginning shows in Feb. As expected, Kyle O'Reilly isn't wrestling in the shows. So, he won't be in Dallas for ROH, and neither in Osaka & Sapporo for NJPW. Is he really going to WWE?