Kevin Kelly interview on ROH creative process, WK11, Nigel

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Jay Lethal's Hair

Kevin Kelly interview on ROH creative process, WK11, Nigel

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

Background/disclosure: Kevin is a regular guest on this show, and of course had his own podcast for two years (can also find on the site).

His piece starts at the 56 minute mark. Topics include:

Ring of Honor & New Japan: Kevin Kelly

Thoughts on Nigel McGuinness Departing for WWE, The UK Tournament & The “WWE Process”
A Hulk Hogan vs. Jay Lethal Dream Match?
What Makes ROH a Desirable Place to Work?
Potential for a Partnership with Another Company
Thoughts on Wrestle Kingdom 2017, Kenny Omega, Cody Rhodes & Juice Robinson

http://placetobenation.com/ptbns-clothe ... tion-more/
Marketh.

Re: Kevin Kelly interview on ROH creative process, WK11, Nig

Post by Marketh. »

There's a creative process?

*ba-dum-tsss*
Last Real Man Hype
Brada

Post by Brada »

Scurll/Juice in Atlanta..........nice.
Jay Lethal's Hair

Marketh. wrote:There's a creative process?

*ba-dum-tsss*
Ha. Well the gist is (and it's worth listening to) mainly around how the talent themselves drive that process and develop their own stuff.

The context of the discussion is around the WWE and NXT "process" that Triple H puts over all the time.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I imagine the other partner would be RevPro but I wonder if WWE's involvement in the UK has changed anything maybe moved things on, although Rev Pro have been slow and shown a lack of looking at British talent so I don't know how strong a partnership it would be. Perhaps the other partner could be World Of Sport but considering where that is in development and any real lack of traction so far I would be surprised if they were the promotion Kelly was talking about.

Interesting challenge for Scurll have a feeling this will be a bit of a tester for both guys to possibly be used more in each others respective promotions. Juice certainly is coming of age as a wrestler and I imagine it will be a good match.
Jay Lethal's Hair

^ Nice insight. I also guessed RevPro when he tacked on the global modifier. I can't see it being someone like TNA, although the Anthem/Hardys thing would potentially be a start there.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Jay Lethal's Hair wrote:^ Nice insight. I also guessed RevPro when he tacked on the global modifier. I can't see it being someone like TNA, although the Anthem/Hardys thing would potentially be a start there.
Yeah same, it will be interesting to see who it is, but Rev Pro seem the most likeliest considering their involvement with NJPW also. I do hope it enables and makes Rev Pro look to actually become a promotion isn't on fixated on glory matches especially considering the landscape in wrestling is changing so much that style of booking isn't going to last forever and are going to really need to pitch your tent if you want success.

There are many promotions that I would probably choose over Rev Pro simply because the others generally have a stronger eye on local talent and want to build feuds, stories etc and if your ROH I would hope you want to have access to that local talent. I don't think ROH guys going against NJPW guys in England isn't something that is really going to market for many, although I probably say that as even though not live I have seen enough cross over matches with NJPW talent and I would like something fresh.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Great interview here by Kevin Kelly. Thanks for the recomendation, I traslate it for my spanish wrestling website. Kevin is such a nice person and always is open to talk about everything.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

good interview..maybe more departures coming soon,they expect to announce things before end of the year.

anothrer partnership company? maybe rev pro officially
Jay Lethal's Hair

monster mafia wrote:good interview..maybe more departures coming soon,they expect to announce things before end of the year.
One of these, fwiw, is Corino - they've just had to be very careful (imo) with the WWE deal.

It's been out there so long, but easy to forget ROH hasn't been able to officially say anything yet there.