2016 - The Essential Shows

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

2016 - The Essential Shows

Post by Marketh. »

So near the end of 2015, after watching everything ROH had to offer since 2007 I could no longer be arsed keeping up with the product. The Corino/Whitmer bullshit, the commentary, the Young Bucks, the Bullet Club, Moose...and a bunch of other annoyances just became too much for me.

But now I'm going to try to work my way back into the present day ROH a year later. I finished SOTF (Elgin's I WANT MY TITLE was lame) then skipped to Final Battle and now before tackling 2016, I'd like to hear your NON-SPOILER recommendations for what I should see.

I already am going to watch all the iPPVs, but probably not any TV episodes. So it's mostly the DVD shows I'm after.

Thanks in advance.
Last Real Man Hype
Wilson

Re: 2016 - The Essential Shows

Post by Wilson »

It’s good to see that Charlie Brown avatar again.

There are threads open now that discuss some of the goings-on of ROH in 2016--which was pretty lackluster, in total, despite some great high points.

http://rohworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5235
http://rohworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5238
http://rohworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5239

Note that there are some SPOILERY things you may want to avoid reading, like “Best Moment” or “Best Story”.

AlexROH also has a great list of ROH’s best matches.

http://rohworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5233

If you change your mind on spoilers, Big Red Machine and DXvsNWO1994 have pretty good reviews of ROH events this year, though they are diffused on the forum and other websites.

In general, I think the consensus is that the Reach for the Sky shows in Liverpool and London, All-Star Extravaganza VIII, Final Battle, and Supercard of Honor were the best shows this year.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

It's kind of hard to explain why some of these are without going into spoilers, but as far as important storyline developments go, I think my list would be:

Tier 1:
Supercard of Honor X: Night 1*
Supercard of Honor X: Night 2
Global Wars
War of the Worlds Tour: Dearborn
Road to Best in the World: Milwaukee*
Death Before Dishonor XIV
All-Star Extravaganza VIII
Survival of the Fittest 2016: Night 2
Reach for the Sky Tour: London
Final Battle 2016

Tier 2:
Conquest Tour: San Antonio
Road to Best in the Word: Columbus*
Reloaded Tour: Lockport
Glory By Honor XV: Champions vs. All-Stars**
Reach for the Sky Tour: Liverpool*

Tier 3:
Honor Rising: Night 1 (pretty much only for the main event)
Best in the World 2016 (this one you could argue has higher importance, but you seem to want to avoid Corino vs. Whitmer, so... you might want to stay away from this one or else you'll start throwing things).

Tier 4:
14th Anniversary Show
Honor Rising: Night 2 (pretty much only for the world title match and the aftermath thereof)
Aftershock Tour: Baltimore

Obviously there are a bunch of important episodes of TV, too, which I don't quite remember where they were. For my money, though, I'd say that the shows taped the day after Best in the World all have stuff that is pretty important to see (although a lot of those shows that must-see thing is often the only good thing on the show). I'd look for the shows that aired on 7/23, 7/30. and 8/6, plus some the stuff the first week or two after DBD, plus everything that aired from 10/29 through the the end of November is pretty important to watch, although is there is also some stuff to fast forward through on some of those. You could probably consider the 10/29 show of tier 2 importance. Same with the Top Prospect Tournament finals, though that is definitely worth watching a good intro to the two finalists.

*- These shows could probably be moved down a tier in terms of storyline importance, but the quality of the show raises them up a bit.
**- This is the opposite of the above, where you could argue it having a bit more storyline importance (although in this case some of that is also because there is at least one event on that shows whose overall importance is not yet clear), but it was a pretty bad show.

All of the other stuff is skippable in terms of real storyline developments (obviously SOTF night one technically has some importance because it's night one of a two-night tournament, but you get the picture). I haven't actually seen the two Florida shows yet or Field of Honor. I am hoping to do so soon and will update this when I do.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Helpful stuff, thank you guys.
Last Real Man Hype
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

All-Star Extravaganza VIII was probably ROH's best show this year, so I think that one is a given (you at least need to see Ladder War VI).

As far as the non-PPV shows go, I horribly behind on all of the live events from this year. I would recommend the shows with New Japan from May. Dearborn was pretty good, NYC had two or three great matches on it (I was there live), and even though it was a TV Taping, I would definitely check out some of the matches from the Toronto TV Tapings (at least O'Reilly vs. KUSHIDA).