ROH & NJPW shows in 2017

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

ROH & NJPW shows in 2017

Post by AlexROH »

New Japan's Pro Wrestling president, Kidani, confirmed in his last blog that NJPW will be doing their own shows in USA. This means, running New Japan shows, not ROH/NJPW with ROH production.

PWInsider said that they will be running the first G1 Clímax shows in L.A.

I know the relationship between ROH & NJPW is a strong one, but, how do you think this announcement will affect the ROH & NJPW joint shows?

If New Japan runs a show in USA and they have a good crowd, will they be making less ROH/NJPW joint shows? Will it affect to the number of New Japan guys going into the joint shows?

I would really like ROH to use less New Japan talent in their shows. Last year, one really bad thing was the amount of shows with japanese talent. The second part of the year, with less nj talent, felt refreshing. I think New Japan should bring all the guys just for the WOTW tour and then, send 1 or 2 guys for random shows or PPVs and, of course, send the Young Lions for excursion, White and Kamaitachi had an awesome year here in ROH!

What do you think?
supersonic

Re: ROH & NJPW shows in 2017

Post by supersonic »

I may have a reason to visit SoCal.
ICW

Post by ICW »

I live in New Jersey and I would seriously, seriously consider flying out to LA for a G1 show.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

maybe they can use roh talent anyway

i read roh shows in japan are going to be around may of next year.
Last edited by monster mafia on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

monster mafia wrote:maybe the can use roh talent anyway

i read roh shows in japan are going to be around may of next year.
The ROH shows in Japan (Honor Rising) will take place on february the 26th and 27th in the Korakuen Hall. In May, if nothing changes, there will be another Global Wars/War of the Worlds Tour between ROH and NJPW.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Even NJPW show, must use local ring (how they ship NEW JAPAN ring to USA?)
Local wrestler also be booked.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

If this means more New Japan guys come to the states, I'd love to see more NJPW guys hold ROH gold like Ishii and the TV Title. How cool would it be to have Shibata win the World Title and destroy everyone in his path, before putting over a rising star or something? Or have SANADA and EVIL win the Tag Titles?
King of Indy Style

If this means more New Japan guys come to the states, I'd love to see more NJPW guys hold ROH gold like Ishii and the TV Title. How cool would it be to have Shibata win the World Title and destroy everyone in his path, before putting over a rising star or something? Or have SANADA and EVIL win the Tag Titles?
King of Indy Style

And then you could have it the other way also where ROH guys can nab NJPW gold. Marty Scurll as IC Champ, War Machine as Heavyweight Tag Champs, Dalton Castle and The Boys unifying the ROH and NEVER 6 Man Titles.....alright that last one is a personal dream scenario :)
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Screw ROH/NJPW shows, I'm hoping for ROH/CMLL shows in 2017.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Well with NJPW running a few shows in CA and possibly bringing over a few nights of the G1 here this could turn into more
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Per MLW Radio and Voices of Wrestling, former ROH office worker (travel liaison) George Carroll has been helping NJPW set up American events that would be standalone, meaning no ROH involvement.

NJPW aiming to have their own American events has been a brewing discussion for months, and the goal appears to have (some of?) next year's G-1 Climax tournament in Los Angeles.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. That may sound very "ROH Mecca" but really.

ROH is doing the same thing New Japan's doing: trying to expand their reach. Would not be surprised if ROH decided to have Survival of the Fittest 2018 in Japan all by themselves.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

King of Indy Style wrote:If this means more New Japan guys come to the states, I'd love to see more NJPW guys hold ROH gold like Ishii and the TV Title. How cool would it be to have Shibata win the World Title and destroy everyone in his path, before putting over a rising star or something? Or have SANADA and EVIL win the Tag Titles?
I would like none of this.
Brada

Post by Brada »

G1 in Los Angeles, if that happens, I am definitely there.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

While this may not be an exigent matter for ROH in 2017, it does evince a possible expiry between themselves and New Japan.

The cross-pollination between the two promotions have made things quite complicated. Even if the ROH office viewed New Japan's encroachment into US markets as commensal, surely ROH would seek further rewards for risking this venture. Where does ROH see themselves in the relationship, as a close, secondary partner or as a development system for NJPW? At what point does ROH drive the stake to have their own stars go over major NJPW talent at NJPW shows? How does ROH see New Japan's narrative as counter-WWE/NXT rather than the next major siphon of North American talent and attention? What would make ROH consider NJPW as the real competition? Because, even if ROH would divest themselves from New Japan, they would know that are easy alternative promotions for NJPW to partner with.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I really don't think this hurts the relationship, and if there were an end to it in sight for either company I doubt they would have each signed the Young Bucks to two year contracts.

ROH doesn't really have much of a presence in the west, which was part of the reasoning behind their affiliation with Pro Wrestling Guerilla. So NJPW runs some shows there, and I have to imagine some ROH talent (and maybe some CMLL talent) will be booked. It will be good for exposure.

And for NJPW, there's a difference between running some select shows in the US and having a consistent, multi-market presence in the US. With the ROH relationship, NJPW talent is exposed to a paying wrestling audience and a wider TV audience than the AXS TV show gets for most of the year, and it doesn't really cost NJPW anything.

Even if (when) NJPW starts running shows in the same markets as ROH, I don't think it necessarily means they're competing. As long as they don't go head to head against any major ROH shows and don't create booking conflicts, I think both companies benefit.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Right. It's not urgent now. I wasn't trying to make that case. But when does it become apparent that this partnership is no longer a non zero-sum game? ROH has to start questioning how NJPW benefits from their partnership and what it means for NJPW to have a stronger presence--as a brand, as an American promotion, as a competing television show--in the US.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote:I really don't think this hurts the relationship, and if there were an end to it in sight for either company I doubt they would have each signed the Young Bucks to two year contracts.

ROH doesn't really have much of a presence in the west, which was part of the reasoning behind their affiliation with Pro Wrestling Guerilla. So NJPW runs some shows there, and I have to imagine some ROH talent (and maybe some CMLL talent) will be booked. It will be good for exposure.

And for NJPW, there's a difference between running some select shows in the US and having a consistent, multi-market presence in the US. With the ROH relationship, NJPW talent is exposed to a paying wrestling audience and a wider TV audience than the AXS TV show gets for most of the year, and it doesn't really cost NJPW anything.

Even if (when) NJPW starts running shows in the same markets as ROH, I don't think it necessarily means they're competing. As long as they don't go head to head against any major ROH shows and don't create booking conflicts, I think both companies benefit.
It's not a matter of "competition" so much as it is a matter of "if these tours draw really well for a year or three, what happens to ROH when New Japan decides that they don't need them as a partner to promote a few shows a year in the US anymore?" They need to be putting all of their effort into elevating guys like Rush and Martinez and Dijak to the point where they can help replace the drawing power that will be lost when New Japan no longer deems it worthy to them to send Tanahashi and Okada and friends over to ROH more than once a year.

I'd even be a bit worried if I were CMLL. Los Angeles is awfully close to Mexico- certainly close enough that Mexican fans who live in that general area would likely be willing to make the trek up. If we start hearing reports that that happened in decently-sized numbers, I wouldn't be shocked if they try adding a stop in Tijuana in 2018 to test that market as well.