ROH MVP 2016

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

ROH MVP 2016

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on an MVP for ROH this year. I often drift back to Roderick Strong or James Gibson as the measuring stick when thinking about this. My personal selection is Bobby Fish. I think he really had the most consistent run of solid matches out of anybody on the roster. He worked very well with NJPW guys he doesn't normally work with. Also didn't have a shit match ranging in different size guys like Dijak to Dragon Lee. Not easy to do. Varied styles with a wrecking ball like Ishii to a technical machine like Roderick Strong. Great promo guy. Carried himself like an old school champion, always dressed like a million bucks.

I would like to see what thoughts you guys have on this subject.
FanSinceHDNet

Re: ROH MVP 2016

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on an MVP for ROH this year. I often drift back to Roderick Strong or James Gibson as the measuring stick when thinking about this. My personal selection is Bobby Fish. I think he really had the most consistent run of solid matches out of anybody on the roster. He worked very well with NJPW guys he doesn't normally work with. Also didn't have a shit match ranging in different size guys like Dijak to Dragon Lee. Not easy to do. Varied styles with a wrecking ball like Ishii to a technical machine like Roderick Strong. Great promo guy. Carried himself like an old school champion, always dressed like a million bucks.

I would like to see what thoughts you guys have on this subject.
Great pick with Bobby. If Roddy stayed the whole year, he'd be mine. I'd go:

Fish
Castle
Mark Briscoe
Corino
Page
Lethal

For guys that weren't in ROH the full year:

Roddy
Daniels (had that "suspension" at the beginning of the year)
Lee/Taylor
Brada

Post by Brada »

Couldn't agree more Mojo.

Bobby Fish, in dominating fashion. The guy can work with anyone. I would really love to see him with a run as World Champion. Hoping that happens in 2017.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Yeah, Fish has had such an awesome year, but as an MVP I'll go with Jay Lethal. He has had a ton of good matches and he made every match look important, even when he faced less popular wrestlers. Plus, his transition from heel to face has been awesome and he has established himself as the man in ROH. His work with the microphone is really good too.
Brada

Post by Brada »

With all due respect, booking would be what would prevent me from putting Lethal at the top. Beginning in April, with the stretch with the Lio Rush match, then the Cheeseburger match that brought Cabana back, then to the Cabana match that was nothing more than a platform for the Bullet Club "NWO style takeover", Lethal's matches didn't seem to have any importance to me at all.

Just my two cents.
Brada

Post by Brada »

To be clear, that isn't meant to be a slight to Lethal at all. I'm a big fan of Jay Lethal's work. I just think he was mismanaged from a booking standpoint. His effort is ALWAYS top notch. I have never seen him "mail it in".
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Brada wrote:To be clear, that isn't meant to be a slight to Lethal at all. I'm a big fan of Jay Lethal's work. I just think he was mismanaged from a booking standpoint. His effort is ALWAYS top notch. I have never seen him "mail it in".
Yeah, the booking hasn't been the best, but as you said, his effort has been (and really is) awesome. Talking about Cabana feud, I really like it. Aside from the Global Wars big angle, they had a very good match at the 2300 Arena for TV and an awesome ringmaster challenge at Duluth that I feel it isn't getting as much praise as it deserves.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Havent seen the Duluth match, I will have to check that out...
Jay Lethal's Hair

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

Agree with Alex on this one - but it's a dead heat between Lethal and Fish for me.

Lethal's work SuperCard of Honor weekend was fantastic and his slow transition from heel to babyface with the Truth Martini stuff through Best in the World and the subsequent O'Reilly TV match was really well done. I thought he was a clear MVP for the first half of the year.

Bobby has been right at that level also. The feud with Roddy into winning the belt and then working his ass off in those title defenses. He kept that belt just as elevated as its previous holders.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Jay Lethal.
stevenkmason

Post by stevenkmason »

Definitely Lethal for me.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Jay Lethal's Hair wrote:Agree with Alex on this one - but it's a dead heat between Lethal and Fish for me.

Lethal's work SuperCard of Honor weekend was fantastic and his slow transition from heel to babyface with the Truth Martini stuff through Best in the World and the subsequent O'Reilly TV match was really well done. I thought he was a clear MVP for the first half of the year.

Bobby has been right at that level also. The feud with Roddy into winning the belt and then working his ass off in those title defenses. He kept that belt just as elevated as its previous holders.

Did the fact that your screen handle is Jay Lethal's hair put him just a hair ahead of Fish?

(Since I have been talked to about my other forms of adult humor, this bad pun is the only thing I had left in my bag)

Lethal's work with O'Reilly was very well done, very much agree with you there.
Jay Lethal's Hair

^ I'm kicking myself for not using that pun now. Damn it. Well played.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

It's either Cole or Lethal. I'm gravitating towards Cole because I think he's been better in the ring. The booking also favors Cole, but I think Lethal has been a bit better on the mic. It's definitely a 1A/1B situation.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Lethal and Fish are certainly very good picks and are very hard to prise apart, but I think from a creative stand point of going from a bad guy to good guy and still carrying credibility and fans with him I would go with Lethal.

Honorary mentions for Cole and Castle also.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

With the way he has been booked in ROH, and NJPW to an extent, Jay Lethal should have run away with this.

Adam Cole has been consistent in the ring, and has been great in his programs throughout the year. He will also starred in four PPV main events by Final Battle. He is ROH’s best wrestler this year.

Bobby Fish has been a great champion. He may have been something of an MVP if his programs were of more significance. Roderick Strong, Jay Briscoe/The Briscoes, Kyle O'Reilly, and Lio Rush have also been nothing to sneeze at this year
Jay Lethal's Hair

Don't think he's been mentioned much, but I could make a strong case for Christopher Daniels at #3 - maybe #4 behind Cole.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Wonder if there would be any support for Joey Daddiego getting consideration?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Brada wrote:Wonder if there would be any support for Joey Daddiego getting consideration?
To be fair, he has improved pretty much every show this year by not being on it.
Brada

Post by Brada »

greatness...

YES YES YES YES YES