hypothetical ROH net worth

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
maxx_powerz

Re: hypothetical ROH net worth

Post by maxx_powerz »

I think most people who cover sports business think the WWE is worth less than UFC.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/ ... 37b81229b1

http://www.pwtorch.com/site/2016/07/11/ ... -like-ufc/
Brada

Post by Brada »

good reads. Very surprising to me.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Interesting question and discussion...

Although, i do agree the Library would be worth a lot... i don't think WWE would over pay for it. I believe WWE valued TNA library at 500K, which i'd imagine ROH would be between 500K and 1M. The other important factor, is IF ROH/Sinclair is in the market to sell. Obliviously if they are not, you would have to over-pay in order to reach a deal. My guess would be somewhere between 2 and 5 million would be going rate. WWF bought WCW for 2 million, and to be fair WCW was much better, but also very unprofitable. ROH seems to have a healthy format. How many wrestling companies have been around 15+ years? Plus a breeding ground for some of the best wrestlers in the world today. Plus the talent on the roster. Briscoes, young bucks, Jay Lethal. IF ROH was losing money hand over fist, I'd imagine the company would be sold as low as 1M. Maybe a little less, depending how bad.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I definitely think that they would get more money from ROH through a wealthy indvidual eager to get in the rasslin' business. I would think that would be the ideal situation for them to overpay in comparison to what the MeekMahan's might offer.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I imagine Billy Corgan's visit with ROH officials was to go over the possibility of him being a partial business owner.

I sometimes wonder if i ran ROH what i would change, and the more i think about it, I like the company for what is it. Good wrestling, good storylines, doesn't get the glitz and glamor, and fame, but slow and steady. The wrestlers are making more money now, and they have a platform to showcase their skills. I don't think going the TNA route would necessarily be better. Probably the biggest change i'd make, would be making the product more accessible. I'd have a ROH - APP /service for all roh shows to be steamed. I feel like ROH has been doing that, but hasn't invested enough into today's infrastructure.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Excellent point Montana.

I don't know that i would change a lot. I would go in a new direction in leadership from a booking standpoint. But in terms of daily business from market targets, show structure, things like that, I would keep it all the same.
rovert

Post by rovert »

Meltzer once said it was purchased by Sinclair for well under what WWF paid for WCW which was purchased for $4.3 million.

Cary needed the cash at the time so it might have been sold less than value.

ROH have added six or years to their tape library. Greater exposure/awareness via the coverage Sinclair. Also WWE has indirectly given it more cache by pushing its wrestlers and featuring their likeness on screen and on the website. As well as some fat contracts on the books as assets.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Does Silkin have anything to do with the product still in terms of decision making? I have wondered why he still shows for some larger events?
rovert

Post by rovert »

Brada wrote:Does Silkin have anything to do with the product still in terms of decision making? I have wondered why he still shows for some larger events?
I don't believe so.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

He's an ambassador of sorts, I believe is his title.

Plus, without Cary, there wouldn't have been an ROH to sell.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Oh I hear ya. Not knocking Cary at all. I was just curious if he was still part of the company in an official capacity.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Cary was on the Art of Wrestling last week and was very, very straight forward that ROH never made "a single dime" the entire time he owned it because everything was always getting bigger and bigger. He admitted that deals like the recorded PPV's and the HDNet deal - which he said, "was basically nothing" - were just done to keep ROH afloat and that he should have closed the promotion multiple times but didn't have the heart.

From what has been said by the likes of Meltzer and Mike Johnson, Cary was supposedly over a million in debt when ROH was purchased by Sinclair.

It makes me think of how ROH's business works nowadays because everything is much, much bigger than it was in 2011. So many more shows, bigger buildings, more markets, more "recognizable" names to the big indie names they used to use, the production is pretty large - it's sort of crazy to even think about.

Other notes from it including him not even being able to say Rob Feinstein's name - referring to him as the "former owner" and "that guy", Colt even said he could say his name and Cary said he couldn't be bothered to - plus Cary admitting that he was probably too much of a nice guy when it came to business decisions and that when he got rid of Gabe, in-time he regretted replacing him with Adam Pearce because Pearce like Gabe, "was a screamer" and displayed erratic behavior.

An interesting podcast for ROH fans. You can tell Cary is a very laidback guy, totally the opposite of any other owner I can think of in the wrestling business, just an old hippie that wound up owning ROH by default and fell in love with it.
Brada

Post by Brada »

I'm definitely going to have to give that a listen. Thanks for the review.