Official Final Battle 2016 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WHG

Re: Official Final Battle 2016 Thread

Post by WHG »

Rhodes vs Lethal should intrigue people if for no other reason to see how the crowd reacts. Debuting on a stacked card in front of a crowd that has historically shit on things they don't like is a bit of a risk for him.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

Sigh and people wonder why ROH can't make new top stars.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

christopherclinton55 wrote:Sigh and people wonder why ROH can't make new top stars.
new top stars:

Scurll and ospreay...in 3 days.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

monster mafia wrote:
christopherclinton55 wrote:Sigh and people wonder why ROH can't make new top stars.
new top stars:

No not really Ospreay and Scurll winning the television title and throwing them in a four way isn't making top stars however I am talking about people doesn't understand that it would have been made more sense for Lethal to put over a talent who is actually signed to the promotion on his way out instead of facing cody.
alitigress

Post by alitigress »

christopherclinton55 wrote:
monster mafia wrote:
new top stars:

No not really Ospreay and Scurll winning the television title and throwing them in a four way isn't making top stars however I am talking about people doesn't understand that it would have been made more sense for Lethal to put over a talent who is actually signed to the promotion on his way out instead of facing cody.
People don't understand building talent they just think bringing in cody rhodes is enough lol
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

who say lethal is on his way out?

anyway...dont watch the ppv then.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

This argument is moot. Guys coming in for limited dates do not put over roster talent. Case in point Kenta Kobiashi didn't put over Samoa Joe. Not that Joe needed the rub, but the example being that someone like Cody Rhodes is protecting his name because he is trying to raise his value. What really should be looked at here is how Cody Rhodes has raised the bar for himself. He left the comfort of a steady job with a gimmick he fucking hated to test himself. I believe being the son of an industry legend, he has put pressure on himself to be the wrestler he believes he is. I am curious to see how he performs in ROH's arguably biggest show of the year. Besides, the addition of Cody completed eliminated the chance of fucking Cheeseburger showing up in a match on this PPV.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Another thing to consider is that it's been reported that Cody is working ROH through at least May. I'm not a big fan of his, but bringing in a name talent and having them lose to another incoming talent on night one actually doesn't make much sense at all. Is he supposed to lose every match for 5 months...or lose early and then start beating guys on his way out?

Building up an outside talent to eventually put over a guy when he needs it makes far more sense. If Lethal is leaving...and there have been no reports he is beyond that his contract is up (which it was last 12/31 as well) I expect he will put Cody over and likely someone else the following night.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Another thing to consider is that it's been reported that Cody is working ROH through at least May
Where did you read that? I thought it would be just a one night thing, I mean, Final Battle and the TV Tapings in Philly. I don't see Cody in ROH, being honest, I don't want to see Cody getting wins in ROH for the upcoming months. Because, if he's working until May, they are going to do the same thing they did with El Patron, giving victories to him and then having a big match where the ROH talent goes over. The little difference is that Alberto's in-ring work is great and Cody's... He always do a great job when he has a character but his in-ring skills aren't any good, he's the type of guy for TNA o WWE, not for ROH, IMO.

Plus, is Lethal really leaving ROH? I don't think he'll leave, he is now company's biggest babyface (yes, Kyle is on the title picture but doesn't feel as THE BIG face), it won't make any sense to me.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Card looks pretty great, assuming they manage their time well. Silas vs. Liger and MCMG vs. ANX/Caprice don't need to go more than eight or nine minutes, and they should probably have Castle vs. Cabana be kept rather short with Colt going over via some sort of heel finish in order to protect Dalton from taking a loss in an abnormally shot amount of time. It's times like these when I wish they were doing their own iPPV instead of regular PPV just so that every match can really get the time it needs to fulfill its potential. If they could get a three and a half hour PPV slot (or even four hours) I would be much happier.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AlexROH wrote:
Another thing to consider is that it's been reported that Cody is working ROH through at least May
Where did you read that? I thought it would be just a one night thing, I mean, Final Battle and the TV Tapings in Philly. I don't see Cody in ROH, being honest, I don't want to see Cody getting wins in ROH for the upcoming months. Because, if he's working until May, they are going to do the same thing they did with El Patron, giving victories to him and then having a big match where the ROH talent goes over. The little difference is that Alberto's in-ring work is great and Cody's... He always do a great job when he has a character but his in-ring skills aren't any good, he's the type of guy for TNA o WWE, not for ROH, IMO.

Plus, is Lethal really leaving ROH? I don't think he'll leave, he is now company's biggest babyface (yes, Kyle is on the title picture but doesn't feel as THE BIG face), it won't make any sense to me.
I think it was Meltzer that mentioned that Cody had been signed through till May, ROH has even confirmed he is on the Atlanta show so he certainly isn't a one shot deal, plus with I think the Atlanta show is a TV taping and with him being on the TV tapings at Final Battle I can see him being used a main guy for the company which would be interesting to see especially now Corino is gone there isn't an easy lay up of a story line for him.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

AlexROH wrote:I don't see Cody in ROH, being honest, I don't want to see Cody getting wins in ROH for the upcoming months. Because, if he's working until May, they are going to do the same thing they did with El Patron, giving victories to him and then having a big match where the ROH talent goes over. The little difference is that Alberto's in-ring work is great and Cody's... He always do a great job when he has a character but his in-ring skills aren't any good, he's the type of guy for TNA o WWE, not for ROH, IMO.
Not only El Patron, they did the same with Samoa Joe and were probably about to do the same with Austin Aries.
I didn't expect anything from El Patron and Samoa Joe and they end up being very disappointing, even if they had way better matches than where they came from.
I'm waiting to see if Cody Rhodes is any good in ROH before criticizing him, just like i did with the other two.
BTW, who in ROH is on Cody Rhodes list ? I think there is Jay Lethal, Adam Cole and Dalton Castle ? I'm pretty sure there was more, but i don't remember. I hope he's not just here to fight the guys on the list and leave...
BurningHammer wrote:I think it was Meltzer that mentioned that Cody had been signed through till May
I heard the same thing.
ImageImage
Brada

Post by Brada »

I felt like El Patron's run in ROH wasnt anything spectacular at all, and it starts with the position Lizard man put him in from the jump. Who really thought at the time that he was going to take the TV title off of Lethal? Anyone? I can remember being at the Anniversary PPV in Vegas, and I don't think there was a single person in the building that thought Alberto was going to win.

I hope they dont book Cody the same way. I am cool with a competitive back and forth with Lethal at FB, but after that, I would utilize him against some younger talent. Let him work with a Lio Rush, or a Dijak, maybe give him a match with Bobby Fish that would give Fish a big win to put him in serious contention for the world title hunt.

I by no means think they should bury Cody and have him lose every time out, but definitely use his star power to propel some of the younger talent.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Big whatever to Cody Rhodes. If this were a one-off match, I think I would have also preferred Scurll vs. Cody. Babyface Lethal without Martini is doing nothing for me.

Though, yes, this show has a very presentable card. I'm pretty sure I'll be watching this PPV.
Brada

Post by Brada »

They need to find a way to bring Truth back into the mix....
Brada

Post by Brada »

Less than a week away from the biggest show of the year, and they have done very little on the website promoting the show. No information on autograph session yet?

I'm taking a friend to his 3rd ROH show, only 2 he has been to were here in DFW (which I don't even hardly count since DFW isnt much of a ROH market)

Im pumped for him to experience the Hammerstein crowd.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

ROH hopefully this next week will just shoot all the matches out throughout the week so that people can preview it.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Brada

Post by Brada »

The only thing I have seen is the "Story Time" with Adam Cole video.....was hoping there would be more hype videos.
Brada

Post by Brada »

No meet and greet or autograph info seems odd as well.
iamloco724

Post by iamloco724 »

Meet and greet info is never usually this far out, probably Tuesday or Wednesday that will be up.