ROH DVD Recommendations

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
9 ball

ROH DVD Recommendations

Post by 9 ball »

I have been watching the ROH TV show since 2014 & have Roderick Strong: Messiah of The Backbreaker, super card of honor 2014, Death before dishonor 2014 nights 1 & 2 on DVD & I was wondering if you could give me some recommendations for other ROH PPV's worth getting.
JustSkiff

Re: ROH DVD Recommendations

Post by JustSkiff »

Since it seems you like Roderick Strong, and that DVD only has his Vendetta match against Danielson. I'd recommend the first Supercard of Honor. I loved that match, and you also get a legit 5 star match with the Dragongate 6 man tag.

Other oldschool top shows are Manhattan Mayhem, At Our Best, Manhattan Mayhem II, and Nowhere to Run.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

An overwhelming majority of Reborn Stage 1 to Glory By Honor V Night 2.
9 ball

Post by 9 ball »

Just purchased ROH Field of Honor 2014, 12th Anniversary & Best In The World 2014.

What are some of your opinions of these PPV's?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

9 ball wrote:Just purchased ROH Field of Honor 2014, 12th Anniversary & Best In The World 2014.

What are some of your opinions of these PPV's?
Field of Honor 2014 is a fine show. I liked the 2015 and 2016 editions more, but still a good show. It had some matches that were bad but the opener (Taven-Lethal Steel Cage) and the ME (Cole-Styles-Briscoe-Elgin) are worth the price, great matches (in the **** range). I also recomend the tag match between the Addiction and reDRagon, I liked it more than their first encounter at BITW 14'.

If I remenber wel, the 12th Anniversary show had some matches that were at ROH TV. I don't remember the show at all, but I think it was an average VOD show with some good (not great) matches. I remember liking so much the Styles-Lethal match back in 2012 (I gave it ***1/2 or ***3/4). Cole vs Hero wasn't as good as everybody expected.

Best in the World 2014 was the first PPV in ROH history. I had a lot of hype comming into this show, and I felt kinnda dissapointed. It was a fine show, but nothing was GREAT or AWESOME. A fine opener and a solid but unspectacular match by Cedric and Strong, yeah, it was that time when everybody though ROH was gonna push Alexander. Briscoes vs Bennett/Hardy was one of the more enjoyables matches of the night, spotty and entertaining No DQ with some cool spots. My big problem was with the last three matches, Silas vs Steen felt short (they had a better match during a VOD show in Summer, a No DQ match I think), the big Addiction debut wasn't good. Everybody was expecting a great match but Daniels and Kaz didn't look good in-ring. And then, the ME, Elgin's big moment. Solid match with great nearfalls, but they have had better matches in the past.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Year Four and Year Five both have big Bryan vs Roddy matches that Roddy's own DVD doesn't. Plus those two years are widely considered ROH's "Golden Age" so they're worth getting on principle.

Also I always recommend Homicide's DVD in this situation. Superb storytelling. Year Five covers the last few parts but not with nearly enough detail or context to fully appreciate it.

Out of what other compilations are still in stock, a Decade in the Making was pretty iconic. Nigel's Career Retrospective is an emotional rollercoaster. Whatever Bryan DVDs are left will be worth it. The latest Samoa Joe DVD broadly covers his classic work as well as all his 2015 matches. Kevin Steen Hell Rising is generally awesome. Chris Daniels' DVD covers a story arc spanning from show #1 to show #100. Both Tyler Black DVDs are fun and good for prosperity. Heck even Summer of Punk is still in stock, somehow.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.