OBSERVER SCOOP: WWE NETWORK CHANGES AFFECTING ROH AND TNA

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

OBSERVER SCOOP: WWE NETWORK CHANGES AFFECTING ROH AND TNA

Post by supersonic »

This will be out of order just as Meltzer presented it tonight.
Per Observer Radio:
WWE looking into tier based pricing and conducting market research on the WWE Network.
Four different tiers would include
Free access, $4.99 monthly including WrestleMania, $9.99 monthly w/ upgrades, and $14.99 monthly including "regular footage of non-WWE promotions"
Meltzer doesn't know if the interest in TNA's library as well as, get this, ROH's library, would play into this. Meltzer also doesn't know if this would include live events, assumedly for other federations like UFC does with other ptomotions on Fight Pass.
The $14.99 tier would also allow fans to vote for the WWE HOF.
The free tier would be all the video clips and archives, but maxes out at 5 hours of viewing per month. The live 24/7 stream would also be available, but NXT, the Cruiserweight Classic, and live PPV events would be blacked out.
The $4.99 tier would only be for tablets and smartphones, and the only live PPVs included would be the traditional Big Four. NXT would be included but not live. Full video archive allowed without limit. 24/7 stream available, but the Cruiserweight Classic would be blacked out.
Cruiserweight Classic is being discussed as a weekly program.
Free plan would have plenty of commercials for obvious reasons. The current quantity of commercials would be applicable to the $4.99 plan.
The $9.99 tier would be the current service, with Cruiserweight Classic included as well as NXT live, but specifics haven't been given if NXT's weekly TV would be taped or become a regularly live program.
The $14.99 tier would have independent wrestling content; TNA and ROH libraries are being targeted for this. Like UFC's Fight Club, this tier's subscribers would have first dibs on purchasing live event tickets, HOF voting rights, and online chat participation, plus second screen content, and invitations to "exclusive VIP meetings" with talent.
An unnamed competitor is looking to get into this independent wrestling streaming market.
BurningHammer

Re: OBSERVER SCOOP: WWE NETWORK CHANGES AFFECTING ROH AND TN

Post by BurningHammer »

I would be surprised if ROH did sell it's entire library considering it's still creating disk sets for previous talents, I could see maybe ROH selling certain sets like Samoa Joe but i'm sure if they do sell it will likely be for a premium considering they aren't in the same position as TNA. Overall I really can't see it happening as ROH is trying to grow and supposedly a network style or at least a much better ringside membership is meant to be in the pipe line. I guess overall it depends how much ROH actually makes from the disk sets and the ringside membership.

The likes of Evolve and Chikara will certainly be involved ,well any company that has employed Joey Styles will be involved. That said how many people will actually traffic to Evolve and Chikara's own platforms if they don't have to anymore so it could be in the end that the companies end up loosing money. It's a shame that WWE is again trying to monopolize a system that is actually helping them out but hey they want to be "it", hopefully ROH just stands on it's own.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

roh sell the library? no chance in hell.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

SBGI reported $ 146 million in net income for 2015. The WWE reported just $ 24 million in net income for 2015 . So , SBGI needs capital and they are going to sell an asset to the much smaller WWE . That makes no sense.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

How much of those 146 million are ROH related ? If ROH breaks even or does a small profit, then it's not ridiculous to think that the "smaller" WWE could buy ROH's tape library for a few millions. I mean, it's not like SBG is doing anything with it anyway.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Oh my God. The tiered structure will no doubt confuse a lot of potential and existing subscribers, but it seems like a really great rollout.

I don't see the WWE picking up the ROH pre-SBG library wholecloth, if only because there is a lot of tonal material they would shy away from and the resources necessary to redub licensed music. It would be really neat if there were even discrete events chosen or current DVD compilations available through the Network.

But of course the real story is ROH and other burgeoning organizations being continually drubbed by the accessibility and options of the WWE Network. All have said that ROH's current product strategy is not up to scratch, but the WWE is just going to leave them in the dust if they continue to operate using sedentary marketplace ideas.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Thelone wrote:How much of those 146 million are ROH related ? If ROH breaks even or does a small profit, then it's not ridiculous to think that the "smaller" WWE could buy ROH's tape library for a few millions. I mean, it's not like SBG is doing anything with it anyway.

The Smith family did not get to be billionaires by giving assets away to people like McMahon . If the WWE wants the the ROH footage they would have to pay a premium . SBGI is not desperate for money . Also the WWE is a small niche business compared to SBGI , they is more to the world than wrestling.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Anyone who isn't willing to pay $9.99 a month for all of the content you currently get won't be willing to pay $4.99 for it, either.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I would offer ROH footage on one condition, and it'd be part of a legal contract:

Good faith efforts must be made going forward to avoid sabotaging ROH. No more apparent blackballing of ROH on WrestleMania bidding processes, no more persuading newly signed talent to not honor their remaining ROH dates, no more scheduling or rescheduling of events that belligerently aim to sabotage ROH.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I'd let them put ROH TV on the network. It really wouldn't be much different from ROH TV being on the Fite TV app, Fight Network, NESN, etc. Just another syndication partner.

But screw letting WWE use ROH's library to get more people on the Network. ROH needs to get its own app with a subscription service. I like ROH's product in general but it's pretty expensive to watch every ROH show versus WWE Network or NJPW World. If WWE wants to buy/license the library they obviously see some value in it; ROH needs to leverage that value for themselves and use it to grow the product. They need a true platform with their past library and all the current TV/VOD/PPV shows for a flat monthly fee.

In my dream world NJPW, ROH, and CMLL would collaborate on a shared subscription service (and maybe affiliated promotions like Lucha Elite, NOAH, PWG, etc). Not going to happen, but it should. That would be the only way to have a truly viable WWE Network competitor in my opinion.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

supersonic wrote:I would offer ROH footage on one condition, and it'd be part of a legal contract:

Good faith efforts must be made going forward to avoid sabotaging ROH. No more apparent blackballing of ROH on WrestleMania bidding processes, no more persuading newly signed talent to not honor their remaining ROH dates, no more scheduling or rescheduling of events that belligerently aim to sabotage ROH.
Who did they persuade to not finish their dates?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Styles and Nakamura were both pulled early this year.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

ROH really needs to show a lot balls and not quiver and bow like every other indy is doing.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

BurningHammer wrote:ROH really needs to show a lot balls not quiver and bow like every other indy is doing.
What indies are even doing that dude.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

JTCole wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:ROH really needs to show a lot balls not quiver and bow like every other indy is doing.
It was a slight exaggeration on my part.

I would say though Evolve and Chikara for sure, then I imagine Beyond, TNA I reckon. Maybe a couple of others judging by Regals attendances.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

BurningHammer wrote:
JTCole wrote:
It was a slight exaggeration on my part.

I would say though Evolve and Chikara for sure, then I imagine Beyond, TNA I reckon. Maybe a couple of others judging by Regals attendances.

progress wrestling.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

monster mafia wrote:progress wrestling.
Yeah them and probably Rev Pro . Maybe ICW but considering they have a pretty hardened fan base and seemingly creative set of guys they might not need them. I guess it depends how far the UK promotions want to take their "Dream Match" booking set up and not focus on bringing up and in British Wrestlers and Feuds, because it's only sustainable for a certain amount of time especially financially and I'm sure the WWE would enable that to continue.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

ROH will never do such a stupid thing, that would ruin them. Why would they do that after gaining the most profit they've ever had in the last three years and managing to establish a collaboration with two of the biggest companies in the whole world?
Zero chance of happening.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

ROH has shown no desire of using their old footage, if WWE offers them a fair deal i think sell it, having their TV show on the network would be a good idea too but i don't think SBG will want that.