Official Road To "Final Battle 2016" Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
187_Joeism

Re: Official Road To "Final Battle 2016" Thread

Post by 187_Joeism »

MLW doing all that talk on ROH numbers just when Alberto el Patrón (Bauer's friend) is in talks with ROH also funny.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

new matches for baltimore taping.

COLT CABANA & DALTON CASTLE w/ THE BOYS VS. SHANE TAYLOR & KEITH LEE

KYLE O'REILLY VS. SILAS YOUNG
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

monster mafia wrote:KYLE O'REILLY VS. SILAS YOUNG
You know, for a few weeks there, it seemed like Silas would finally start to become protected.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

TYFDK wrote:Kyle O'Reilly beat Donovan Dijak. Nana isn't happy with the loss. Someone you wouldn't expect tells him nice work, however.
(https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 3614131200)
(https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 4966785024)
Keeping in line with the current trend, what are the chances that Nana stays with ROH once he splits with Dijak?

(Thanks for compiling the results this past weekend, by the way.)
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i dont know about nana but it seems like dijak is gonna turn face and go with mcmg and his "army"
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Wilson wrote:
You know, for a few weeks there, it seemed like Silas would finally start to become protected.
after the major promotion for silas- cole we can say now that silas is a main event guy..at least for me.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

For those curious about attendance from the shows this past weekend, ROH was definitely using a smaller setup in Ft. Lauderdale. The bleachers were completely folded up.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

more matches for this saturday

PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ & BJ WHITMER w/ KEVIN SULLIVAN VS. WAR MACHINE (RAY ROWE & HANSON)

TEMPURA BOYZ (SHO & YO) VS. CHEESEBURGER & WILL FERRARA

LIO RUSH VS. JONATHAN GRESHAM!!!! :D :D
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Wilson wrote:
TYFDK wrote:Kyle O'Reilly beat Donovan Dijak. Nana isn't happy with the loss. Someone you wouldn't expect tells him nice work, however.
(https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 3614131200)
(https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 4966785024)
Keeping in line with the current trend, what are the chances that Nana stays with ROH once he splits with Dijak?

(Thanks for compiling the results this past weekend, by the way.)
But what about the envelopes, we still haven't found out what was in the envelopes :o :o :o
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Having finally watched GBH gotta say it was a good show, pretty consistent match quality wise bar the Cabana and Mark match which just didn't really click. Also the ending of the Sky High four corner survival match, which seemed to be an audible considering how ACH landed. I think (and I believe someone else said this) I imagine they were protecting him next night because he looked to be completely out for a second or two after he landed. Side note Corino mentioned all the stuff that went down the previous week or so with ACH, so maybe it wasn't all that bad in the end.

Jay and Castle was probably my match of the night, seemed a dam physical match with Jay especially brought a ton of physicality. Castle seems to be really figuring out how to tie in his moves and create pace when in the momentum stage of his matches which is something he has really lacked.

The crowd was pretty great, although seemed to die a bit in the main event. The total number didn't look that bad at all, although It did look light on the hard camera side. There was also this crazy dude in the front row begging for people to thrown into a spare chair he had, it did add to the matches though it's just something I haven't seen in a while in ROH.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Thelone wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:Yeah it seems to be a difficult area for most promotions, NXT draws probably around 300 on average at their house if not lower, TNA doesn't exactly do great number either so I don't know why there is such a strong wrestling environment in the Florida area considering the lack of numbers.

I also don't know if it is a really big Television Market for ROH, then with the main event, it being a Friday as well as I imagine ROH's lack of promotion leading up to the events which seems to be something they really lack I doubt it was ever going to be that great.

Hopefully the Lakeland crowd was a good number and can be a place for ROH to build within Florida. Although I do think they need to make a concerted effort to build up Chicago again. Maybe this year has been a big learning curve for ROH when it comes to areas that they can trust to draw.
Or you know, people slowly but surely realising that those house shows are pretty much meaningless at this point.
Shows you have no clue about any of the Road to Shows in the last few months, that's their best shows by far, much better than the PPVs.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ft,lauderdale vod is up.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Any reviews for the last two Road to Final Battle shows? Are they worth a watch?
project161

Post by project161 »

Just going based off of memory, Lakeland had a good main event I felt that should have been a lot better. It was the wrong market to have that match in as Lakeland only cared about certain talents such as Jay Lethal, Bull James, Colt Cabana, and Dalton Castle so they were not really invested in Silas too much despite a lot of effort from he and Cole to tell a story for Silas in the match. Had they had the exact same match in Milwaukee, I think it would have gotten much more fanfare.

The rest of that show was fine but nothing particularly great. Castle & Cabana/Addiction was a solid match with a real feeling of "house show" with some comedy, but effort was still there and it was at least treated like a tag match which helped me enjoy it (a problem I find in ROH all too often is that referees let the tag rules go out the window when the action gets crazy and they don't enforce the rules, which happened in the War Machine match on this show.) Lethal and Kamiatachi was a bit disappointing for me in that it was pretty good, but not up to standard with past singles Lethal has had with up and coming high flyers like ACH, Kushida, and Lio Rush just offhand. I mentioned it on a previous page I believe but
Spoiler: show
Kamaitachi hit his sunset flip bomb from the apron to the floor on Lethal which was devastating. I thought this was going to be the real turning point for the match, but they didn't go much longer before going to the ending.
Kyle/Dijak was fine but kind of underwhelmed for me. Same can be said for both Page matches. I particularly had more hope for he and Mark Briscoe based off of the success that Mark has in the midcard position in addition to Page's chemistry seen with Jay. It started pretty hot, but kind of cooled off as the match progressed. The Tempura match was OK and the Bull James match was not particularly good. Just a pedestrian brawl. Amber O Neal was also very bad in her match against Brink which I guess will be aired next week sometime. Not that Brink and Ellering was great, but it was much better in execution than Amber's match.

Ft. Lauderdale was not great, but I thought it was a more consistent show based off of a better energy in the audience in that they were generally into everything on the show and it helped to elevate the match quality some. The opener was OK. Mark Briscoe/Kazarian was a solid match largely carried in atmosphere based off the crowd responding to Kazarian feeling that he looked like Randy Orton
so when Kazarian eventually hit his rope assisted ace crusher that he does, it got a much larger ovation than it normally already does. I thought he was doing some innovative offense that I normally do not see from him as well.
War Machine/Tempura had a more competitive match than I would have expected and it was pretty solid. Page/Castle went a little too long I felt, but I thought it was a good match for the most part which featured one of the first appearances I can recall of a dog in a match (just a fan had an assistant dog at ringside and Castle went up to it for a big ovation.) The 4CS was a bit disappointing for me considering all four talents in the match, not that it was bad. It was solid still, I just had a higher expectation for it. Fish/Rhett was sort of there, I mostly remember Caprice and Kenny's interactions with the crowd at ringside more than I do anything about the match. Cole/Bull was a poor match after Bull got a nice response from the crowd only to show very little of anything as to why he should be in an ROH ring on top of a bad finish. The main event overdelivered on my expectations for it. I wouldn't call it a great match, but it was enjoyable
with an unfortunately flat ending with Silas getting the win as he was probably the least responded to in the match of the six involved.
Between the two, I'd probably recommend Fort Lauderdale over Lakeland as an overall show, but the main event of Lakeland was better for me than anything on Fort Lauderdale and I'd feel confident in calling it a great match if it took place in a different market. I've seen better ROH shows in the last few years than these two, but I have also seen a lot worse.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

monster mafia wrote:
Wilson wrote:
after the major promotion for silas- cole we can say now that silas is a main event guy..at least for me.
Except he lost.
The pushed the match on TV but they didn't build Silas up well at all. They had him lose to Lethal twice when Lethal didn't need the win at all but he win would have been huge for Silas.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

I love how people are acting like Young is this main eventer on the rise even though he's never going to move away from the under-to-midcard gatekeeper/JTTS role.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Thelone wrote:I love how people are acting like Young is this main eventer on the rise even though he's never going to move away from the under-to-midcard gatekeeper/JTTS role.
With contracts in the air for several of their top stars, one would think that ROH would be building up talent right about now.

I guess ROH is really hedging their bets on Dalton Castle and . . . Matt Taven? . . . and Steve Corino???
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Just seen the two shows. As project 161 said, they first night was very enjoyable with lot of good matches, nothing great, just a bunch of ***ish matches. That's fine, you know, this tour really felt like they were doing house shows and not VOD things. Second night was pretty average, but had Silas' best performance since his arrival to ROH. Here are my little commets:

- Kyle isn't in a good way going into Final Battle as Number One contender. His two matches sounded great on paper, but they weren't good. He don't look like a strong contender and definitely not a ROH World Champion. I really like Kyle but Final Battle isn't the best option for his big title victory. Yeah, we all know the history between Adam Cole and Kyle, but he isn't looking as strong, as, per example, when he was challeging Lethal at ASE VII or at BITW 16'. To be honest, Silas building as a contender for the World Title has been done better.

- Bull James is the worst wrestler that have been in a ROH ring this year. Yeah, worse than Diesel or Will Ferrera. They at least are low/midcarders. His match with Adam Cole was pure bullshit. They spent 20 minutes doing absolutely nothing. I hope ROH never call him back again. So baaad.

- Nana and Dijak splitted. ¡Yessss! I hope this is the star for a big face run for Dijak. Maybe with the MCMG Army? Sounds good to me. Keep him there before going into a big push.

- Adam Cole vs Silas Young. Silas Young vs Adam Cole. Men, that was such an awesome match. Silas gave us the performance of his live (in ROH) in Florida. This has to be Cole's best title match from his second reign. Amanzing stuff by Silas, it was a shame that the crowd (yeah, the worst in months) and the comentary (Lethal-Kevin) were bad. However, still an awesome performance by Silas in a great, well-paced, 20 minutes World Title match. Please, give Silas a title run in 2017, he's having an awesome year. Go and watch this, it won't dissapoint. [***1/2 - ***3/4 if the crowd and the atmosphere were better].
Last edited by AlexROH on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Once again, O'Reilly is damaged goods at this point and probably won't ever recover. They basically should have switched Fish and O'Reilly for ASE 2015 with O'Reilly winning the TV title, or just give the world title to #TheKyleMan at the same show. Lethal was never going to do anything with the belt and the most compelling part of his reign of terror was the Briscoe feud.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
project161

Post by project161 »

AlexROH wrote:Just seen the two shows. As project 161 said, they first night was very enjoyable with lot of good matches, nothing great, just a bunch of ***ish matches. That's fine, you know, this tour really felt like they were doing house shows and not VOD things. Second night was pretty average, but had Silas' best performance since his arrival to ROH. Here are my little commets:

- Kyle isn't in a good way going into Final Battle as Number One contender. His two matches sounded great on paper, but they weren't good. He don't look like a strong contender and definitely not a ROH World Champion. I really like Kyle but Final Battle isn't the best option for his big title victory. Yeah, we all know the history between Adam Cole and Kyle, but he isn't looking as strong, as, per example, when he was challeging Lethal at ASE VII or at BITW 16'. To be honest, Silas building as a contender for the World Title has been done better.

- Bull James is the worst wrestler that have been in a ROH ring this year. Yeah, worse than Diesel or Will Ferrera. They at least are low/midcarders. His match with Adam Cole was pure bullshit. They spent 20 minutes doing absolutely nothing. I hope ROH never call him back again. So baaad.

- Nana and Dijak splitted. ¡Yessss! I hope this is the star for a big face run for Dijak. Maybe with the MCMG Army? Sounds good to me. Keep him there before going into a big push.

- Adam Cole vs Silas Young. Silas Young vs Adam Cole. Men, that was such an awesome match. Silas gave us the performance of his live (in ROH) in Florida. This has to be Cole's best title match from his second reign. Amanzing stuff by Silas, it was a shame that the crowd (yeah, the worst in months) and the comentary (Lethal-Kevin) were bad. However, still an awesome performance by Silas in a great, well-paced, 20 minutes World Title match. Please, give Silas a title run in 2017, he's having an awesome year. Go and watch this, it won't dissapoint. [***1/2 - ***3/4 if the crowd and the atmosphere were better].
I'm glad to hear that Silas's performance in the Lakeland main event translated well. Some will sometimes say that a crowd isn't everything with a match and that was an example of that for me. That being said, put that match in Milwaukee and what a world of difference it would have made with the atmosphere. That Lakeland crowd was garbage. Their TV taping they had there two years ago was arguably as bad in that they responded to the TV stars (in that one's case, AJ and Lethal) with little for others and I got a similar vibe on this VOD.

I had mentioned it above as well in regards to Bull, but he showed nothing as to why he should be in an ROH ring. I can't really think of any "name" (and I use that term loosely) that has come into ROH cold and performed with so little intention of earning future bookings.

They also did feel much more like "house show" house shows like you said. I very rarely have gotten that vibe from ROH in the last few years with their non-TV/PPV shows, but these ones definitely had that vibe.