Why I'm Taking a Break

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
187_Joeism

Re: Why I'm Taking a Break

Post by 187_Joeism »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
BlackLesnar wrote:B
What the fuck man that debacle is tip-top of the shit list! Never before did ROH slap the World Title on someone solely so that they could lose it, they've been better bookers than that for 15 years.
So we're ignoring Eddie's title reign just so they could play up Davey being jealous and taking it from his best friend because it was his time? Okay.
Austin Aries second reign was like that also, you can even say the same for Jerry Lynn.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

RE: Adam Cole as a transitional champion; (as best as I can recall, no other champion had such a clear successor in mind other than Aries’ second reign, but that was given time to have some character)

I’m not sure if I mind it. The ROH World Title probably shouldn’t be booked the way it had been in the past as long as this strict PPV model is in place. Having established top guys with multiple reigns (Jay Briscoe, Adam Cole) really isn’t so bad and it would really fit the seams of ROH patterning themselves to being NJPW-mini. If the fiction demands it, this imminent title switch is fine by me.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

187_Joeism wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:
What the fuck man that debacle is tip-top of the shit list! Never before did ROH slap the World Title on someone solely so that they could lose it, they've been better bookers than that for 15 years.
So we're ignoring Eddie's title reign just so they could play up Davey being jealous and taking it from his best friend because it was his time? Okay.
Austin Aries second reign was like that also, you can even say the same for Jerry Lynn.
I'd say Lynn's, like Homicide's and Gibson's, was more about the victory than the loss. You could probably make the same argument for Xavier.
I guess you're technically correct about Aries, but I think Pearce did a tremendous job of keeping enough title chases hot (Tyler, Omega, Cabana, Dragon, Delirious) that it didn't feel like the whole point of Aries reign was so he could drop the belt to Tyler. Ideally that is what Delirious will do with Cole here.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I hated the second reign that Aries got so we are not going to agree there haha

Homicide lost because of the TNA-ROH problems, right?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Homicide had very little interesting matchups or stories as champion. It's very glaring even when trying to rebook. It was time to crown McGuinness soon, then there was keeping the NOAH relationship strong.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

187_Joeism wrote: Homicide lost because of the TNA-ROH problems, right?
I think Gabe just wanted to put the belt on Morishima. Homicide got his match with Joe out of the way, got two other wins against guys who weren't doing much, and then dropped the belt. In hindsight I'm fine with it because none of Cide's defenses were particularly good, and I don't remember him doing much that was good after it that didn't involve Joe.
HonorLives

Post by HonorLives »

Big Red Machine wrote: 1. The reason no one answered the request for show Road to BITW show reviews is that myself and a few others had already done so in a recent topic.
2. If you think this thread is getting more discussion than any of ROH's storylines, I don't think you've been reading the board at all lately. There has been much lively discussion over the Lethal/Cole/Kyle direction, the Bullet Club angle, the upcoming Ladder War, the Trios Titles, etc. If you would like more storyline-based discussion, the you've tuned in at the wrong time of the month because the episodes of TV to set up the next bunch of storylines haven't started airing yet, and we're just coming off of a PPV.
3. Similarly, there haven't been many discussions of actual shows because there haven't been many lately. DBD was a few weeks ago, the TV tapings after it haven't started to air yet, and the FOH VOD only went up within the last 48 hours, so most people haven't had time to watch it yet. Before that, the last show was over a month ago.
4. If you don't consider discussions about who might be coming/going, or how ROH books/portrays itself in relation to its international partners, or how ROH best utilizes both its own talent and the foreign talent they bring in to be "actually discussing the product" then I think your definition of "discussion of the product" is WAY too narrow.
You made some good points, hopefully you got mine.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ROH's actual product will get more substantial discussion on here when one simple thing happens: ROH's actual product turns into a direction that would be more accurately described as "interesting" rather than "generic."
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
That's the closest there's been, yes. I was aware of that before posting. But if you think that Eddie didn't deserve it on his own merits or that the moment itself was not special you and I are going to have words.
It's not even comparable on the "ooo they have history" front. Eddie and Davey had ONE match against each other and Eddie won. Cole and Kyle have had had multiple, half of them in the past year, of which Kyle's consistently come out of looking better.
Maybe it's too soon to say but I'd wager Eddie's reign itself was better booked as it's own independent entity that Cole's latest is going to be. The heat with Hero had been set up months prior and the Daniels defense was payoff a year in the making. Big Mike's shot plays off of history too but feels a lot less intricate.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

187_Joeism wrote: Austin Aries second reign was like that also, you can even say the same for Jerry Lynn.
Aries completely reinvented himself since the first time 'round. Cole's the exact same, give or take a few Bullet Club mannerisms.

Also what Big Red Machine said. Aries made his reign his own. He did his thing and built his heat for triple the time Cole's been given before the payoff. And then he retained in the payoff anyway (which was a mistake I pray does not repeat itself here but what's done is done; it gave Aries' reign more legitimacy that your standard transitional reigns).

Regarding Lynn; are you implying that he only won it because he was the perfect guy to lose it to someone else who only won it because he was the perfect guy to lose it to someone else? I'm a little lost on that one.
Wilson wrote:I’m not sure if I mind it. The ROH World Title probably shouldn’t be booked the way it had been in the past as long as this strict PPV model is in place. Having established top guys with multiple reigns (Jay Briscoe, Adam Cole) really isn’t so bad and it would really fit the seams of ROH patterning themselves to being NJPW-mini. If the fiction demands it, this imminent title switch is fine by me.
I'd argue it's a fiction that's pointless to pursue when your main event scene has a routine habit of leaving for bigger companies, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.