ROH 6 Man Tag Title Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: ROH Announces New 6-Man Tag Titles

Post by famicommander »

SandsShifter wrote:
monster mafia wrote:i hope team new blood wins but with the briscoes in the other side..it seems unlikely
Yano's worthless, he could eat a pin pretty easily.
Yano has won six major tag team championships between NJPW and Noah, though, including two with the Briscoes already. He's a comedy character but he's not Cheeseburger.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing the Briscoes and Yano win and put over someone younger after a short feud. Particularly if the Briscoes beat the Young Bucks and unify the IWGP tag belts.

Beating a team consisting of the unified IWGP tag champs and one half of the GHC tag champs for the ROH Six Man Tag belts would be a huge boost to a young team. Probably moreso than beating them in the tournament.
SandsShifter

Post by SandsShifter »

famicommander wrote:
SandsShifter wrote:
monster mafia wrote:i hope team new blood wins but with the briscoes in the other side..it seems unlikely
Yano has won six major tag team championships between NJPW and Noah, though, including two with the Briscoes already. He's a comedy character but he's not Cheeseburger.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing the Briscoes and Yano win and put over someone younger after a short feud. Particularly if the Briscoes beat the Young Bucks and unify the IWGP tag belts.

Beating a team consisting of the unified IWGP tag champs and one half of the GHC tag champs for the ROH Six Man Tag belts would be a huge boost to a young team. Probably moreso than beating them in the tournament.
I'm expecting the opposite to a degree. I suspect that the Bucks win both the IWGP HW belts and NEVER 6-Man in Japan, and then the ROH Tag Titles just to recreate that Ultimo Dragon picture with tag titles. And then whoever wins the tourney will have to compete with the Bucks and Cole/Omega/Page/Owens? over the ROH 6-Mans.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

SandsShifter wrote:
Which is why it drives me nuts to have the Briscoes seriously talking about him like he matters. You can't have a guy like Yano get past the first round of your tournament if you want it to be taken seriously. He should be a spot-filler and nothing more. A chunk of the problem with the NEVER six-man titles is that they spent months putting them on guys who clearly didn't matter to those in charge in New Japan (the Bullet Club undercard, Yano, Briscoes) and then kept changing them pretty much every time they were defended. If the inaugural champions would have been a team of guys that mattered, those belts would mean more. The finals of this tournament needs to be between two established three-man units. So yes, I would much rather see The Cabinet in the finals than Yano & the Briscoes.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

If the Briscoes and somebody else win, will that be considered another tag team title reign for them? What are they nine time champs? Would them winning the 6 man tag title be considered a 10th reign?

This is a neat idea. Hopefully it's executed right. I hope the Young Bucks and whoever their partner is win it.
Last edited by ROHFanAnthony on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Low-key want BJ Whitmer, Punisher Martinez and Kevin Sullivan to enter and win.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Big Red Machine wrote:
SandsShifter wrote:
Which is why it drives me nuts to have the Briscoes seriously talking about him like he matters. You can't have a guy like Yano get past the first round of your tournament if you want it to be taken seriously. He should be a spot-filler and nothing more. A chunk of the problem with the NEVER six-man titles is that they spent months putting them on guys who clearly didn't matter to those in charge in New Japan (the Bullet Club undercard, Yano, Briscoes) and then kept changing them pretty much every time they were defended. If the inaugural champions would have been a team of guys that mattered, those belts would mean more. The finals of this tournament needs to be between two established three-man units. So yes, I would much rather see The Cabinet in the finals than Yano & the Briscoes.
Not every championship has to be important and serious, they can use it to give something to the young talent/people that they don´t have plans for instead of having a random match. NEVER six man titles has been a lot of fun for New Japan this year i hope ROH does the same.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

TYFDK wrote:Low-key want BJ Whitmer, Punisher Martinez and Kevin Sullivan to enter and win.
With Punisher taking the falls in non-title matches? It’s a little ambitious, but it could work.

Of course it will lead up to Final Battle 2019 where BJ Whitmer, Punisher Martinez, and Kevin Sullivan defend against Steve Corino, Colby Corino, and Allison Danger in an Ultimate Bleached Head and Eyeliner Fight Without Honor.
Big Red Machine

187_Joeism wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
SandsShifter wrote:
Not every championship has to be important and serious, they can use it to give something to the young talent/people that they don´t have plans for instead of having a random match. NEVER six man titles has been a lot of fun for New Japan this year i hope ROH does the same.
Of course every championship has to be important and serious! If it's not important and serious, how is it supposed to help the young talent you want to put it on? If it's not important, what makes it any different than them just having random matches? Nothing! The NEVER six-man titles are a perfect example of that.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

World, Tag & TV titles are always booked seriously with long reigns, adding another title with that mentality is stupid. Best way of using the six-man titles is having short reigns with different trios like New Japan does. It helps the young talent because you can give them an opportunity to showcase themselves there.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

ROHFanAnthony wrote:If the Briscoes and somebody else win, will that be considered another tag team title reign for them? What are they nine time champs? Would them winning the 6 man tag title be considered a 10th reign?

This is a neat idea. Hopefully it's executed right. I hope the Young Bucks and whoever their partner is win it.
The Briscoes tag titles won in major promotions:
8X Ring of Honor World Tag Team Champions (last reign was ended March 2, 2013 by reDragon)
1X IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champions (NJPW, current)
2X NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Champions (NJPW, with Toru Yano, inaugural champs)
1X GHC Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions (Pro Wrestling Noah, January 2007)

Along with several indie championships.

I'm not sure how ROH would count it if they won the ROH Six Man Tag titles. I would guess they'd mention it separately. They're different championships in the end.

ROH should just be very specific with their language on the matter. Based on the above, you could consider the Briscoes 12X world tag team champions but they're still only 8X ROH World Tag Team Champions.

Sort of like the Dudley Boys. They consider themselves 23X World Tag Team Champions but it breaks down much more specifically than that:
8X ECW World Tag Team Champions
2X IWGP Tag Team Champions
1X NWA-TNA World Tag Team Champions
2X TNA World Tag Team Champions
1X WCW World Tag Team Champions (WWE version)
1X WWE Tag Team Champions
8X (WWF) World Tag Team Champions
1X WWE Tag Team Champions

All the belts from the major companies are considered world championships but they don't refer to the same championship.
Big Red Machine

187_Joeism wrote:World, Tag & TV titles are always booked seriously with long reigns, adding another title with that mentality is stupid. Best way of using the six-man titles is having short reigns with different trios like New Japan does. It helps the young talent because you can give them an opportunity to showcase themselves there.
There is no reason the young talent can't be given the opportunity to showcase themselves WITHOUT these six-man titles. In fact, I'd argue that forcing them into trios gives them less of a chance to showcase themselves in a way that will help them connect with the fans than being featured as singles wrestlers would.
As for the way the titles are booked in New Japan, I think you are vastly overestimating how much those titles mean and how much they have helped anyone. You are literally the only person I have seen who seems to think the way those titles have been booked has given them any value whatsoever.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Anybody have some other ideas for possible teams?

How about Dalton Castle and the Boys?

I'd say Silas and the Bruiser should enter, but I can't really come up with a third guy that fits with them.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I thought it'd be fun if Silas and the BCB went to the ROH Dojo to scope out a potential third guy. They have students lined up, and at the end, is a man in a mask with a visible moustache, drinking a beer.

That man then blows everyone out of the water in terms of manliness, and he's chosen as their tag partner.

They go all the way to the finals, win the belts, and the masked man reveals himself to be...Dalton Castle. Silas and BCB are shocked that they now have to team with a man they deem a total opposite of them. Doesn't have to be the finals, could be later on.

In my dreams, other teams they could do is Dijak/Keith Lee/Shane Taylor, Matt Sydal/Ricochet/Will Ospreay, Colt Cabana/Dan Barry/Bill Carr, and Hanson/Rowe/Chris Hero
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Big Red Machine wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:World, Tag & TV titles are always booked seriously with long reigns, adding another title with that mentality is stupid. Best way of using the six-man titles is having short reigns with different trios like New Japan does. It helps the young talent because you can give them an opportunity to showcase themselves there.
There is no reason the young talent can't be given the opportunity to showcase themselves WITHOUT these six-man titles. In fact, I'd argue that forcing them into trios gives them less of a chance to showcase themselves in a way that will help them connect with the fans than being featured as singles wrestlers would.
As for the way the titles are booked in New Japan, I think you are vastly overestimating how much those titles mean and how much they have helped anyone. You are literally the only person I have seen who seems to think the way those titles have been booked has given them any value whatsoever.
I never said that, NEVER six-man titles doesn´t matter in New Japan, they are just something to do during the "Road to" shows and that is totally fine, wrestling can be just fun you know, it doesn´t have to be all serious "THIS IS 06 ROH I WILL NOT HAVE THOSE THINGS HERE" all the time. Having a title that anyone can win at any time is much better than having a super serious championship when you already have 3 like that.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

What I do like about the Trio's titles is the individual rivalries and matches that can come out of each Trio's match. It can help build towards later feuds and just spark others right from the off. There are many issues that need to be overcome but if ROH gets the personnel in that I think it would be a very good title for ROH, but with the current roster it wont really do a lot for many.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Red Machine

187_Joeism wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
I never said that, NEVER six-man titles doesn´t matter in New Japan, they are just something to do during the "Road to" shows and that is totally fine, wrestling can be just fun you know, it doesn´t have to be all serious "THIS IS 06 ROH I WILL NOT HAVE THOSE THINGS HERE" all the time. Having a title that anyone can win at any time is much better than having a super serious championship when you already have 3 like that.
"Anyone" can be made to look like they can win the "super-serious" titles, too, provided a proper push going in. Gabe made it work all of the time with the simple formula of "give a guy some wins, push that on commentary, and let him cut some promos about how much he wants to be the champion." The solution to a stale title pictures for your other three titles should not be "I will make a new title that I will try to make less stale." It should be "I will put in the effort to fix the problem with the other titles.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

CMLL announced Hechicero, Ultimo Guerrero, and Okumura will be in the ROH trios tournament on 10/29

Valiente maybe also appears.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's the full article on the CMLL Trio:

The worldwide partnership between CMLL, New Japan Pro-Wrestling, and Ring of Honor takes center stage in the ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Championship Tournament as CMLL enters the trios team of ULTIMO GUERRERO, SHIGEO OKUMURA, and HECHIERO!

The legendary Guerrero’s legacy is defined by championships. Guerrero has held the CMLL World Championship as well as the CMLL World Tag Team Championships and has been the winner of the CMLL Universal Championship and Torneo Gran Alternativa tournaments twice and three times, respectively. Most importantly for the ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Championship Tournament, Guerrero is a multi-time CMLL World Trios Champion! Guerrero makes his ROH debut in the ROH World Six Man Tag Team Championship Tournament!

Okumura made his initial mark in Mexico teaming with international superstars Shinsuke Nakamura and Hiroshi Tanahashi and has himself captured the CMLL World Trios Championship with Tanahashi and Taichi. Okumura makes his ROH debut after over a decade of experience finishing his opponents with the devastating Okumura Special DDT!

Hechiero, meaning “wizard” in Spanish, has held championships across North America and is undefeated in mask versus mask bouts! Hechiero continues a huge 2016 making his ROH debut the same year he made his 2016 New Japan debut on the Fantastica Mania 2016 Tour! Hechiero has found success across the globe with El Conjuro, his variation of the swinging backbreaker!

Trios and matches will be announced on ROHWrestling.com first - stay tuned to ROHWrestling.com for the latest on the ROH World Six Man Tag Team Championship tournament! Who will this team of world-class CMLL stars face? Keep it locked here to find out!

The tournament kicks off LIVE on Pay-Per-View on Friday Septemer 30, 2016 at All-Star Extravaganza VIII with the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champions the Briscoes and Toru Yano teaming up to face ACH, Lio Rush, and Jay White!

Limited tickets remain but if you’re not in the Boston area, you can see the Best Wrestling on the Planet LIVE on ROHWrestling.com, the FiteTV app, the Playstation Network, and all major providers!
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Right on.

Not a bad trio. Thought it'd be awhile before we saw Ultimo Guerrero.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think it's a team that can draw people in, it's a team that could take a loss or take the win and it certainly wouldn't hurt them in anyway, overall it's a well rounded team. What I will say is that it will need the right opponents and the right amount of time as they are going to need to a smooth match to actually impress people but it can't really be too long as they could look a little slow after a while. The perfect match for me would actually be to bring in another CMLL or Mexican trio. I can see the Addiction and Kamaitachi being their first match although I would love it be the team of ACH, Rush and White.