Matt Taven (aka Sonic gets it correct 3 years in advance)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Matt Taven

Post by AlexROH »

I think he's a great mid-uppercarder. Now that ROH need to build bigger stars, Taven should rise. I love his New Kingdom thing too. Create new stars, that's the point in ROH.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Taven's Kingdom vs. Bullet Club was fine for what it was. O'Ryan, Marseglia, and Taven got to get their shine in early, then were promptly outshined by how good Cole and the Bucks are. Still, the former three looked confident in the ring. Taven is the closest thing ROH has to a Jimmy Rave.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Not going to lie. Taven has grown on me tremendously the past year or so. That includes injury time as he was hands down the best guy on commentary. Glad he stayed over Bennett as he clearly is the all around better talent. Solid B guy.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I feared that Taven' Kingdom would be goofy. Fortunately those fears got put to rest. Only bad thing is they're sort of ynknown but other than that Marseglia and Orien were pretty good choices to stick with him. Niether three really look out of place and to me in the match against BC they looked like stars and that includes Taven.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

dhads7161 wrote:I feared that Taven' Kingdom would be goofy. Fortunately those fears got put to rest. Only bad thing is they're sort of ynknown but other than that Marseglia and Orien were pretty good choices to stick with him. Niether three really look out of place and to me in the match against BC they looked like stars and that includes Taven.
Well, some parts of their whole deal need tuning. Their current entrance stokes certain tones of The Cabinet (it doesn’t help that they share the same extras) and the heraldic marks of the Kingdom (both old and new) look trapped in 2007.

Some goofy things can stay, like the four-digit hand sign, “The Kingdom in Taven’s image,” and Taven’s ironic Pillman cane, but other things should be toned down.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

They're not bad or anything, but with the roster being as bloated as it is, Taven is a guy I would have cut (set up some sort of thing where he wants to beat Cole so bad that he puts his ROH career on the line for a title shot and loses on the UK tour).

The other guys looked fine in the ring to be, but in no way did they stand out. I also share Wilson's misgivings about their entrance. That's the sort of sh*t ROH needs to stop with.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Yeah there is some goofiness to them like that dumb entrancr and Taven's cane but when it comes to choice of talent ROH did a good job of choosing Marseglia and O'Ryan, Orien (however the hell you spell his last name). They were two unknowns for the most part in ROH but they didn't come accross as newbie scrubs.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Taven overall has a lot going for him and he is that guy that could really carry the middle card and move up and down without much trouble. I also think he when has had a strong run under him he will be a good challenger for the main title not winner but certainly credible enough challenger.

I would hope that the idea of using that particular entrance on the TV episode was merely to create a bigger emphasis on their debut and they will revert to a more simplistic styling. I think ROH should maybe "sex" them up a bit more than they are currently with their entrance, considering the look/attitude of Taven and the look of O'Ryan and even Marseglia will have his fans I don't think the music or the general feel of the entrance fits right now so maybe they could look at that. I do wonder if another member will end him up in the group considering they are using the 4 fingers, maybe a female talent or another new guy.

I think just overall experience will help the group tremendously as both Marseglia and O'Ryan have shown stronger personality in other promotions, so hopefully when they feel more comfortable they will start to show it.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

I disagree with the OP. Taven has all the talent to be a strong capable talent and now that he is positioned in a better spot he is bound to get a better shine to him with the roster ROH has. Taven as a tag team guy I thought was completely fine, Taven in the House of Truth as a TV champ was totally fine so why shouldn't I believe he steps his game up at the next level?
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Jay Lethal's Hair

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

Taven is one of the few legit heels in the company (Cole and the Bucks certainly are not) when it comes to drawing heat.

I like the direction with him and two lesser-known guys; he has the cache to carry that group and isn't overshadowed. Outside of his commentary during Death Before Dishonor, I loved his work on the mic. Felt genuine and liked that he was all-in on going at the Bullet Club.

It'll take some time to completely wipe off the rust given the serious injury, but he looked fine in his two TV matches.

The entrance gimmick is pretty lame though.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Requisite video of Taven shooting his take on the music video Unconsciously Screamin'--er, that is talking rabble and not building toward The Kingdom's match at Final Battle.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Any slander against Matt Taven is just unconscionable at this point:

Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote:Any slander against Matt Taven is just unconscionable at this point:

Agreed. Taven has become one of my favorite guys on the roster.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Agreed. Taven has become one of my favorite guys on the roster.
I'm going to surprise myself by agreeing he has gotten better after his absence. I now kind of look forward to seeing him, and I enjoyed him enough for a solid mid-upper card guy.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Expect a bigger role for Matt Taven. His successfully main eventing Arena Mexico as a single and doing well in title matches there has upped his stock.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Not surprising I guess with TK being hurt, and Vinny Lasagna being absolutely awful. I guess we should start to think about a "Melvin counter"....
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

If that ends up being the plan I may have to skip more of ROH. I can't stand Taven. I couldn't stand him as TV Champion, I couldn't stand him in the original Kingdom, and I can't stand him now. He's boring as shit, his matches suck, and I just don't get the hard on ROH has for this guy. He just sucks.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

King of Indy Style wrote:If that ends up being the plan I may have to skip more of ROH. I can't stand Taven. I couldn't stand him as TV Champion, I couldn't stand him in the original Kingdom, and I can't stand him now. He's boring as shit, his matches suck, and I just don't get the hard on ROH has for this guy. He just sucks.

Brada

Post by Brada »

How have we not had a Melvin shirt get printed yet?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

monster mafia wrote:
King of Indy Style wrote:If that ends up being the plan I may have to skip more of ROH. I can't stand Taven. I couldn't stand him as TV Champion, I couldn't stand him in the original Kingdom, and I can't stand him now. He's boring as shit, his matches suck, and I just don't get the hard on ROH has for this guy. He just sucks.
I don't think I've been more in simpatico with you before.

Taven working more as an upper midcarder is a good idea. He should receive the occasional World Title challenge.